Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 16:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Run Game: Feast or Famine  (Read 1143 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 11:03 »

I do remember seeing that formation, but couldn't remember the outcome.  Well, forgot about the penalty.  There were two early 4Q penalties on offense.  First was: 2-10-PIT24 (14:49) PENALTY on PIT-W.Colon, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 24 - No Play. That led to 3rd and 15, incomplete to Heat, punt, re-punt, Arizona PR for TD, loss of game.

Second was: 3-18-PIT33 (12:45) (Shotgun)
PENALTY on PIT-M.Smith, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 33 - No Play.
 I'm thinking this was the down and distance for the package discussed.

Does this formation work for a 3rd and 18 play?  What's the playcall?  

Side note: when Tomlin talked about false starts killing us, I brushed it off as coachspeak.  But looking at the first series in the 4Q where Colon jumped, hey, that led to a bad turn of events that killed it for us.  Colon maintains composure and we get the first down, maybe they don't get that PR for a score.  It's the little things.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
ajv148

« Reply #11 on: Oct 03, 2007 at 11:22 »

It's a fine line...
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 09:49 »

I do remember seeing that formation, but couldn't remember the outcome.  Well, forgot about the penalty.  There were two early 4Q penalties on offense.  First was: 2-10-PIT24 (14:49) PENALTY on PIT-W.Colon, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 24 - No Play. That led to 3rd and 15, incomplete to Heat, punt, re-punt, Arizona PR for TD, loss of game.

Second was: 3-18-PIT33 (12:45) (Shotgun)
PENALTY on PIT-M.Smith, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at PIT 33 - No Play.
 I'm thinking this was the down and distance for the package discussed.

Does this formation work for a 3rd and 18 play?  What's the playcall?  

Side note: when Tomlin talked about false starts killing us, I brushed it off as coachspeak.  But looking at the first series in the 4Q where Colon jumped, hey, that led to a bad turn of events that killed it for us.  Colon maintains composure and we get the first down, maybe they don't get that PR for a score.  It's the little things.
I don't remember it being 3-18, because I think I would have liked the formation a lot less in that case. Maybe I was just overjoyed to see something different, that I disregarded the down and distance. I agree it wouldn't work for 3rd and long. Very good on 3rd and short though.

I don't remember seeing that formation but maybe I did, because I was thinking, before Ben threw the pick, about a little wishbone action with FWP, Kreider and Big Snacks. Put Miller in motion, and between the three of them, surely FWP could find a hole for a score.

I thought they tried Hampton in the backfield in the pre-season one time. Some LB lit up Hampton and he gave up the thoughts of playing offense. Maybe I'm just making shit up though.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

padgfrombf

« Reply #13 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 01:49 »

FWIW, the Steelers should have better luck running this week.  The Seahawks front is nowhere near as stout, and if the LB's don't guess right, Willie will have a few opportunities.

I'd also like to see a spread against some of the bigger D-lines, but not without Ward at full bore.  There is no other WR on the Steelers that can handle the hot receiver role.  Holmes looks to be a year away from that.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: