Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 21, 2014 at 03:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers vs. the Spread  (Read 1627 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 04, 2007 at 14:54 »

A pretty quick read.

I just wonder why we don't go dime against the spread type teams and challenge them to run?  Keep the 3 DL of the base, the two ILB close up to the box, and some package of Pola-Clark-Smith-Shea-Ike-McFad/Gay.  I have a bad premonition of the Pats game, and if they go right to the spread, pass-pass-pass, how we gonna counter?  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 17:37 »

Good stuff -- er, well BAD stuff, but unfortunately, the truth hurts.

Man, it sucks that now that McFadden and Gay both show promise (and Ike has been playing ok), that McFadden goes down for -- at best -- a couple of weeks.

We really could use another solid DB.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 18:17 »

Maybe they should use more of the Big Nickle package w/ 4 DTs on the line and 2 LBs.  Or maybe even a Big Dime with only one LB.  They can still stop the run in either of those and you won't have to cover WRs with an LB.

After the way AZ exposed them, it'll be interesting to see what they do next week vs the Seahags.  I imagine the Walrus is licking his tusks right about now.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 18:45 »

the inability of our secondary at times against good passing teams was the reason why I was such a proponent of drafting Revis this past draft.

there really isnt too much to write home about our DBs when the pressure up front is nullified to the extent that the secondary actually has to cover.

One thing the cardinals have a strong game in is their O line protection.  they only gave up 2 sacks prior to the steeler game and have been pretty strong unit in general.  So one on one blocking seemed to do its job against the steelers.  with hamp not playing the entire game even solidified their O line even more.

I believe the steeler secondary will have better production against the seahags overall than they did against AZ.  You will see a bend dont break philosophy this upcoming sunday.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2007 at 20:54 »

Ike got his ass spanked by Fitzgerald. I know I'm late with it but you knew it was coming. He's been solid this year but let it be known Whiz/Grimm/Arizona knew the weak link in the secondary. 10 recs or something like that? He wasnt the only one (Faneca got murdered by Dockett and Nate Wash sucked too) but he played poorly.

Also remember that Seattle has already ID'd him as the weak link (see: the whole first drive of Super Bowl XL) so expect him to be tested on Sunday.

I say we just mix it up with the exotic zone blitzes. Play the three safety sets we broke out against Indy late in the '05 regular season loss (where Smith seemingly provides an upgrade over Ty Carter). Keep pressuring them. No QB comes out alive mentality. I don't think we've been all that bad with the "spread" teams.

That '02 NE/OAK zero-and-two-start shit is long gone. It's always quoted by idiots (people I hear around here, at bars, drunk at the game, radio show call-ins) like that's the golden ticket to beating the Steelers D.  Tim Lewis, Dewayne Washington, Chad Scott, Brent Alexander, Gildon and Peazy-tryin'-to-cover Jerry Rice in the slot are not walking through that door. That whole defense is changed as we've got more athletic on the DL. Polamalu is around. And, most importantly, LeBeau is around.

The thing I am most concerned with is the no-huddle. That's given us problems for the past several years, really. I think when somebody springs it on us we've just gotta take our medicine. Use a timeout. Remove Casey from the game and go with a more versatile player (Timmons, nickelback, 3rd safety Smith/Carter). Slow down the pace. Take our lumps and wait for one of ours guys to make the big play.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2007 at 10:03 »

Ike got his ass spanked by Fitzgerald.
I for one am sooo sick of you criticizing Ike.  He's the top point getter for my fantasy team and I won't hear another word about it.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 08:13 »

Another thing that could work is more blindside CB blitzes, which I don't think we've seen many of this year.  

From the blind side, it takes a QB a split sec longer to recognize a WR as the hot route; hopefully that gives the LB/SS enough extra time to roll over and pick up that man.

The spread offense is common enough now in the NFL that we should be able to look at how other defenses stop it effectively.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 20:23 »

the steelers secondary butt fucked the spread offense on national TV.  I guess having an EX secondry coach as the HC really helps in that department.

But FFS ike, catch the rock

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 08:31 »

I'm sure they'll whine about not having Branch.  Boo hoo, motherfuckers, we didn't have Ward OR Holmes.

Anyhow, we had a lot of success rushing 3 or 4 and dropping guys into coverage.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:01 »

I just remember sitting at the game yesterday and thinking, holy shit, they're only rushing three again.  Maybe we will be seeing some cover2 this season.

and watching Deshea run down the line and catch Alexander from behind was a thing of beauty.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: