Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 01:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: That Is What You Call A Huge Win  (Read 832 times)
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« on: Oct 07, 2007 at 17:34 »

Four starters out (Polamalu, Hampton, Holmes, Ward), three of whom are pro bowlers and perhaps your best players, no Bryant Mcfadden, an NFC playoff team in town...and you dominate them.

Fucking awesome.

Oh, and #7...recognize.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 18:25 »

Ben didn't get two TD passes, therefore, this weeks stats are discounted.

Drew Brees, on the otherhand, is one heck of an elite QB.

In all seriousness, I really think we found something this week... A two running back system the rest of the way.  Now get better Hines and Santonio, we need you on O.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 19:06 »

A two running back system the rest of the way.  Now get better Hines and Santonio, we need you on O.
I would have liked to have seen more of that 2 back system during the first half.  FWP was getting his ass kicked pretty hard core, plus 28 total carries for the game.  Dookie was running lights out whenever he touched the ball and I thought he should have spelled Willie a few more times than he did.

I was cursing Wilson left and right during the first half, but damn, he came up clutch a few times that helped move the chains.

thought Ben was flippin houdini with his escape acts today.  he was on fire fo sho!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2007 at 19:33 »

I was listening to the end of the Ravens game while at the gym, so I only heard bits and pieces.  

But what a bunch of f'in homers.  Balty, which wouldn't recognize a good offense if it slapped them in the face, comes out "with a good win" against SF.  Wha???????  When is a 9-7 win over a shitty team a good win?  It certainly wouldn't have been thought as such during all of their preseason hype.  

It was a great win.  The #3 and #4 WRs are starters.  I don't know if Hoke had a backup all game.  The secondary was lights out, despite missing out on two INTs and missing their #3 CB.  The sacks came from guys who usually don't get 'em.  The fans were awesome and definitely contributed to that win.  Ben had some nice throws on 3rd down.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
JerseySteeler

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 00:33 »

The fans were awesome and definitely contributed to that win.
Thank you  :rock:  
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 08:28 »

This was yet another Steelers game during which I drank not a drop of alcohol.  I know, shocking.  Perhaps more so, Mrs. Finny reports that not once (not during the bad calls, the OL hiccups, or the Rossum weirdness) did I even curse during the entire game.  That's gotta be some kind of record.

Anyway, after the game it was back to putting up the new ceiling in the upstairs hall, and wiring fixtures, hence no booze.  But had the Ravens game on in the bedroom, and that's no win for them to be proud of.  I missed the very end, when SF had the ball with the chance to win, but the drive before Dilfer moved the ball well against them.  SF has no offense and could have won 14-9.  Be proud of that.  God, I can't wait for our Monday night game...

I was incredibly proud of how this team, to a man, played.  Yes, I still worry about the OL.  But when Smith went out, Starks actually played reasonably OK.  Simmons got beat badly, mostly by scheme (ZBS would have countered their loops), and Colon wasn't very good.  But Ben made plays that negated any OL issues.  He just rolled out, scatted away from pressure, had a great day.  Looked like he was having fun.  

Almost looked as free-wheeling as a pickup game out there at times.  

We really should look at alternating Dookie with FWP earlier on.  Once we open those lanes a bit, FWP has room to roam.  Be a big factor with Balty and Jax, IMO.  Late in the game, everyone got a carry.  Davis.  Kreider.  The ballboy.  That Asian trainer chick Penso's hot for.  Had the feel of a preseason game, trying out for the role of COP back.  But Dookie's shown the best stuff, IMO.  He did really open the game up for us.

Oh, and Ike was outstanding.  Could have had like 4 picks, but.  Also, Hasselbeck's throws were really off.  Not sure if we were getting close to sacking him on some of them, but they just seemed of the mark.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 08:58 »

No question, Davenport needs to see the ball more often earlier in games, both to spell Willie and give teams more styles to defend.

The occassional two-back set with FWP and Najeh wouldn't hurt, either. Willie running a sweep-fake while Davenport runs up the gut HAS to be a play that works, right?

No team could afford to not respect Willie's ability to get around the corner.  
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 10:01 »

I'm really impressed with the way Davenport has improved.  He has really made himself into the kind of back that we need him to be.  I recall that in FWPs first year as a starter, he would often need Bettis to get something going before he came in to light up the D.  Najeh did that exact thing yesterday with the big, tackle-breaking run.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 16:54 »

I'm really impressed with the way Davenport has improved.  He has really made himself into the kind of back that we need him to be.  I recall that in FWPs first year as a starter, he would often need Bettis to get something going before he came in to light up the D.  Najeh did that exact thing yesterday with the big, tackle-breaking run.
Yeah.  I think Davenport has improved, looks stronger and bigger.  Before he looked tall but a bit reedy.  Are Dook's big runs coming between the tackles or outside?  Seems to be the latter, when he can get isolated on the smaller defenders.  Still, he's not going down any time someone gets a hand on him.  That little shake-off move was patented Ben, and then he rumbles for big yardage.  I like the dynamic effect it has on FWP, almost a one-upmanship?  A healthy competition.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: