Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 27, 2014 at 16:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coverage Question  (Read 714 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Oct 08, 2007 at 10:21 »

Are we better in coverage with Clark and Simmons vs. Troy and Clark or Simmons?

Discuss.

Side Question:  Why do we continue to blitz Tyrone Carter when he does nothing other than run into the blocking back?  (Yeah, I'm just looking for things to be negative about)

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 10:48 »

Are we better in coverage with Clark and Simmons vs. Troy and Clark or Simmons?

Discuss.

Side Question:  Why do we continue to blitz Tyrone Carter when he does nothing other than run into the blocking back?  (Yeah, I'm just looking for things to be negative about)
Do you mean Clark and Smith?.....I think when Troy isn't playing, there is a lot less bouncing and moving around by either Clark or Smith. Maybe this helps them be in better position. I think yesterday's peformance was also about defensive scheme. Lebeau didn't blitz much, and dropped everyone into coverage. I think we might have seen Tomlin's Cover 2 a little bit, and its hard to argue with the results. But the Hags aren't the Colts or Pats, so as the Wolf says, let's not go sucking our own dicks yet. Without Branch, they couldn't stretch the field very well and their OL allowed decent pressure from the DL. Not blitzing Brady and trying to cover those cheating bastards might be a different story.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 10:49 »

Oh, and I have never liked Carter...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 10:56 »

Do you mean Clark and Smith?.....

Yes.

Just my observation, but we seemed to cover better and seemed in much better position to tackle on those stupid dink and dunk WCO routes.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
padgfrombf

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:18 »

I'm assuming that you meant Anthony Smith.  Fat ol' Kendall hasn't dropped into coverage for a long time, since maybe 4th grade.  Maybe rephrase this as Clark/Troy/Carter or Smith/Troy/Clark vs. Clark/Smith/Carter at FS/SS/XDB.

I'm further assuming that you're asking because of the effort yesterday.  Be aware that this same crew got humped for drives of 46, 72, and 80 yards (2 TD's) after Troy went out in Arizona, most of it via the airways.  What a difference a week makes.

You may have answered your own question, though.  Carter doesn't have anywhere near the mobility or blitz skills of Maul, and it's obvious what he's doing a nanosecond after the snap.  Polamalu can take one step at the LOS and be 20 yards downfield by the time the QB releases.

LeBeau bangs the SS or XDB in there to give the QB a continuous different look, even if it doesn't work all the time.  Carter's loss in Play 28 is Haggan's gain in Play 29.  Polamalu does make Tricky Dick a lot trickier.

What I'm getting at is, I don't think that you can assess this with pure coverage skill of the safeties.  They're different players, really, but one good thing is while Clark is really more of smart backstop, Carter and Smith are both hitters.  When healthy, Troy is the complete package and LeBeau has him doing things that no other DB could attempt.  When McFadden is healthy, you have a similar mix with the CB's as well.

I like this mix of DB's a lot more than that not-so-distant-past Tim Lewis/Cowher handpicked combo of Flowers, Alexander (ahead of Hope), Scott, and Washington with Hank Poteat playing first backup ahead of Townsend.  Now that was something to complain about.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:20 by padgfrombf » Logged
padgfrombf

« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:28 »

Do you mean Clark and Smith?.....

Yes.

Just my observation, but we seemed to cover better and seemed in much better position to tackle on those stupid dink and dunk WCO routes.
That is a legit question, the PSD did play with good defensive discipline yesterday.  You can't do better than zero points.  An analogy might be when Willie Williams came in at CB and, even though he was 30-something and had maybe 1/2 the physical skills of a Chad Scott, pass coverage miraculously improved.

Against this WCO, pm, you might have a fair question.  Against the likes of a NE or Indy, though, the Steelers will need other defensive weapons.
« Last Edit: Oct 08, 2007 at 11:31 by padgfrombf » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 17:30 »

Two points.  Polamalu is suc an exceptional player that we tend to lose track of what all the fuck he does, or can do.  He is all over the fucking place.  And that ability may lull LeBeau into the idea that he can blitz Troy more often than is effective, IMO.  I think if Troy dropped more often and laid the wood, and blitzed maybe half as much, he'd get picked up less often.  JMO.

Second, Clark is one hell of a FA pickup.  He's at least as solid as Hope was, but did you see him lay the wood yesterday?  Who did he deck?  Man, that was a fucking delight, whoever he killed.  

Yeah, as padg said, a nice mix.  We're still learning how to use them.  I think running the same base week to week is foolhardy, and maybe the injury week this week showed that.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: