Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 15:05 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Changed Coverage Wise?  (Read 861 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Oct 08, 2007 at 14:42 »

Can anyone tell me how our secondary went from a piece of cheesecloth against Arizona, or a steel curtain against Seattle?

It's difficult for me to tell, because not being at the game, the camera always stays on the QB until he throws, making it difficult to see the down-the-field coverage.

It seemed like we zone blitzed and stunted less, but that was about all I could tell.

Whatever it was, I'm happy as heck to see it.  Hopefully we can lock it down like that if we face a spread offense in the playoffs.

.WiH.

PS  Oh, and isn't Matt Hasselback a total pansy?  How many times could he have scrambled for a nice gain, only to fling the ball helplessly over the sidelines?  What a girl.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 15:07 »

I thought we used more of a nickle package and contained Alexander with 6 and 7 in the box?  Kinda sorta what we did against the Colts in 05'.

Could be the hybrid Tampa 2 that has been rumored.

I am really excited, new wrinkles like this could take teams a while to figure out and give us momentum through the year.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 16:02 »

Looked to me like they were pretty consistently dropping 7 into coverage.  Although you can't relly see much from the sideline camera angle, I'm assuming the linebackers (as well as the d backs) did a pretty fantastic job of coverage, because most times the pressure we had was late in the play.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 16:49 »

Yeah, they rushed 3 or 4 most plays and just covered up the receivers.  Hasselbeck can't run, Alexander was weak, we had them.

Cards were more effective rushing Edge, had a more mobile QB in Leinart (not great, but better than Pusselbeck), and face it, you can do more with Fitz and Johnson and whoever than you can with... Engram, Burleson, and I don't know who.  Even with Branch in, they're a lesser bunch.

Which returns us to the question of how to combat the Patriots' spread.  My argument in the spread thread was, contra Y2Jingleheimerschmitt, was that blitzing gets burned, especially with good receivers and a quick & accurate Beardy.  I think we'd do better to cover up the receivers a la the Seattle game, and try to get Brady to run.  So we can kill him.  Pats will likely counter with quick dumpers to the RBs, screens and throws to the flat.  If we can anticipate those plays, we can jump routes and hope for some pick 6s to put them in the hole via defense.

At least, that's the hope.

I hope Tomlin dissects Belichick like a vivisectionist.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2007 at 17:03 »

Seattle doesn't have Larry Fitzgerald.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 07:06 »

IMO, we did what the patriots did to us several years back: rush 3-4, drop 7-8 and blanket the deep and intermediate routes. bring an exotic blitz every now and then, and shut down the run.

Sounded like it was a combo Lebeau-Tampa 2 scheme. If it works, keep using it I say. I'm just excited thinking about what else lebeau will roll out this year!

Go Steelers
altimusprime
N00b

« Reply #6 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 09:25 »

Seattle doesn't have Larry Fitzgerald.
That is about as deeply as I'd look into it. I'm still cringing at the prospect of facing better QB/WR combos than what we faced against the Shehawks. Brady finds the slimmest openings awfully quick...

And yes, I meant for ass sex with dudes as well as on the field.

I'm worried that he'll be able to pick us apart. But then again, anything this team does wouldn't shock me. Maybe they do have their shit together, coverage-wise. They're already better than I thought they'd be. I guess we'll find out. Tomlin isn't Cowher, he actually makes adjustments. We won't be so predictable and stubborn against the Pats when we play them again.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: