Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 07:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sunday Night  (Read 480 times)
TwistedLemon

« on: Oct 22, 2007 at 09:41 »

We lost......I know, no kidding.

Here are some why's from what I observed (most of which already covered I am sure):

1.  Turnovers.  As was the case most of last season.  Not only not holding onto the ball, but twice Denver fumbled and we did not recover.  I dont expect to get the ball EVERY time the other team drops it, but where was the hunger and aggression.

2.  Penalties.  OK, so the stat line reads there were only 3.  Offsides during the final field goal drive is unacceptable ~ get on the right side of the ball, you KNOW they are going to hurry.

3.  Pass Protection.  Our O-Line is suspect, we know this.  Ben did a good job of avoiding the rush for the most part.  Could have been more sacks and turnovers than there were.

4.  Dropped passes.  So not every throw was perfect, but rarely are they.  It was apparent that Hines had not been on the field in a few weeks.

5.  Soft Coverage.  On their final drive, pressure on Cutler could have been better I think, as could have coverage.  We know Elam can kick it, we gave them the opportunity to move into range instead of "d"ing up.

The defence overall all looked as though they had read to much about themselves and thought that since it was written, it would play out without having to perform.  

"My reality check bounced"
Hercules50

« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 09:46 »

2.  Penalties.  OK, so the stat line reads there were only 3.  Offsides during the final field goal drive is unacceptable ~ get on the right side of the ball, you KNOW they are going to hurry.

Good post, I agree with all points.

I think #2 is particularly interesting -- it was disappointing that we couldn't get set right during their two-minute offense, because that speaks to poor preparation and practice on our part. First time I can say I've seen that under Tomlin.

Playing poorly because the other team competes and they just beat you? Okay, I can live with that, that's football. But on that last drive, we sort of didn't look quite prepared and that's partly on Tomlin/LeBeau.  
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 10:30 »

5. Soft Coverage. On their final drive, pressure on Cutler could have been better I think, as could have coverage. We know Elam can kick it, we gave them the opportunity to move into range instead of "d"ing up.

I would rather they play aggressively and give up a TD than giving up the 10-15 yard plays until they get into FG range.  Make Cutler prove he can throw over the top with accuracy.  Don't think he did it all game.

The offside penalties, as noted, are unacceptable.  Forget the yardage; stopping the clock for them killed us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: