Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 08:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: C. Batch  (Read 1924 times)
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 22:56 »

speaking of Kordell.....where is he now?

last time i saw him was in heinz field PUNTING for the Ravoons and getting heckled majorly as he walked into the tunnel.  it's sad because the only thing he did to deserve any kind of super negativity from pitt fans is sucking royaly in the AFC championship game his pro bowl year, throwing passes into offensive linemans' backs.  the rest of the year he looked like a superstud.

who cares if he's gay, he still was a good football player.  remembering the one armed catch as a wide receiver comes to mind....

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2007 at 23:07 »

who cares if he's gay, he still was a good football player.  remembering the one armed catch as a wide receiver comes to mind....
It's no secret that I defended Kordell back in the day.  And I agree he was a great football player.

It's just that he never understood he was a great football player.  Hell, dude coulda played corner better than the dogshit we lined up back there for some of those years.  And still posted 850 receiving yards, and another 200 rushing yards per.  For a season or two, at least.

Instead, he wanted to be a great quarterback instead of a great football player.  And as a quarterback, with hindsight, I'd rate him as slightly above average to above average.  I'd take him over Kyle Boller, but not over, say, Jim Zorn.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
CityofChamps1979
N00b

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 00:02 »

The Steelers would be crazy to trade Charlie Batch, unless the offer was huge.  

That being said, What's amazing about the QB market right now is that nobody's talking about Chaz.  With so many teams hurting, I'm surprised Atlanta, St. Louis, Minnesota, Miami and Kansas City aren't beating down Colbert's door right now.  I heard Vinny Testaverde's name tossed around today - are you kidding me?  Sure, picking up a has-been (never-was) like Testy or Tim Rattay only costs you a roster spot, but in exchange it offers you Absolutely Nothing.  Meanwhile Charlie had a brief (and at-times brilliant, despite his teammates) run as a starter in Detroit, and has won what, 2 games for the Steelers in '05 as well as the Miami win last year and an admirable turn versus Atlanta, in the game Roethlisberger was concussed shortly before halftime (I believe).

I am, however, a firm believer in keeping around a good backup QB.  History has proven that out.  While other teams may not think so - hence the lack of interest on the market - Charlie Batch is worth no less than a second round pick to the Steelers.
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 00:27 »

totally agree on that point.  kordell kept pushing for that QB spot, i remember him on a Quarterback  challenge TV show before the Pro bowl season and the announcer was saying how great of a threat he was because no one knew what he would do and he was insistent that he was going to win the starting QB job the following year.  i was thinking, "why?  that's why you're awesome, you idiot!"  

ego???  or gay conspiracy???.....BWAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/kordell-ste...-gay-125257.php

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
padgfrombf

« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 02:23 »

Ben has never gone 16 games in a season, so far.  WTH does somebody want Frenchy to be in there?

What would the PS do with the 2nd rounder?  Get another QB that may or may not be ready out of the box?  A late R2 QB isn't Kyle Boller on average, it's Bruce Gradkowski or Rex Grossman or Brian Griese.

It does surprise me that Brad Johnson, Griese, Kelly Holcomb, and Jeff Garcia types bounce around the league as freely as they do.  You'd think all teams would have a better Plan B at their most critical position.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 07:18 »

I think Pens hit the nail on the head: a high first rounder would be the only acceptable value (e.g., Miami).  Since no team will see it that way, we're "stuck" with Batch.  IMO, we need to start pulling Ben earlier in games and letting Batch take most of the 4Q snaps, unless the score is close.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 10:59 »

A lot of these teams are in the situations they're in because they don't have Charlie Batch. Like somebody above said, Ben has never played 16 games, it's good to know you have a capable, proven, backup already on the roster should you need him.

Plus, I don't think Charlie has any desire to play anywhere else. He could have left as a free agent a couple of times in pursuit of a starters job.

Keep him. He's good for everything and everybody associated with Pittsburgh, not just the Steelers.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 13:22 »

Several points here:

I heard Vinny Testaverde's name tossed around today - are you kidding me?

Signed today with the Carolina Panthers.  Rattay is in Ariz.  It's insane, and I have officially flushed Carolina's season down the toilet.  Carr and Testy under center?  Yikes!

Testy or Tim Rattay only costs you a roster spot, but in exchange it offers you Absolutely Nothing. Meanwhile Charlie had a brief (and at-times brilliant, despite his teammates) run as a starter in Detroit, and has won what, 2 games for the Steelers in '05 as well as the Miami win last year and an admirable turn versus Atlanta,

This may sound crazy, but I actually believe that CharlieB has skewed the thinking about backup QBs.  Now, teams think they can pick up a vet like him who can come in and win games.  They're forgetting that these guys are much older, they've taken a bigger beating, and they haven't been in the system the way that CB has for the last, what, 6 years?  That's why we hardly miss a beat when he comes in.  Plus, all these guys know him and trust him.  They see Interceptaverde coming and they wonder how he managed to get out of the wheelchair.

It does surprise me that Brad Johnson, Griese, Kelly Holcomb, and Jeff Garcia types bounce around the league as freely as they do. You'd think all teams would have a better Plan B at their most critical position.

Actually, all of those guys are pretty good backups, I think.  If we weren't set, I'd be okay with bringing one of them in, except maybe Griese.  I think the mistake is that some team won't latch on and keep them around.  Garcia, IMO, has always been starter-quality, and I believe he's proving that.  Stints with the Lions and Clowns do not count against his resume, b/c he was smart enough to get out after one year.

The reason I wouldn't trade Batch is the mentoring he's giving Ben.

I'd say that Charlie is setting himself up pretty well to get into the coaching profession, perhaps even with the Steelers or some other local team?

Plus, I don't think Charlie has any desire to play anywhere else. He could have left as a free agent a couple of times in pursuit of a starters job.

Keep him. He's good for everything and everybody associated with Pittsburgh, not just the Steelers.

And if he decides not to coach, he's set up to stay in this organization or latch on with some other group here in his hometown, where he clearly wants to stay.  He's a semi-icon in this city already b/c of his obvious loyalty to Western PA and the Steelers.  He'd be a fool at this point to accept a deal with anyone else.

Plus, part of me has to believe that Charlie is smart enough to realize:  He's injury-prone.  Always has been, even here as a backup.  Why go to some loser team, get broken in half, and end your career when you can make a cool million a year to play a few games, be a part-time coach, win a ring, and spend Christmas Eve at mom's house?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 14:44 »

IMO, the answer for why we don't hear Batch's name thrown around as trade bait is pretty simple.

He's not available and everybody knows it.*

*Unless it's for a decent R1 pick and I doubt any team (even Miami) would do that.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2007 at 15:04 »

TARDE CHRALIE BUTCH TO THE MIMI DOLPINS, THEN SINGE TERNT GREENEE!!!!!!!!!!!!111  IT'S A WINE-WINE SITUTION!!!1!!!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: