Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 19:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Words of Wisdom from The Bachelor  (Read 709 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« on: Oct 11, 2007 at 23:51 »

Whole article is here.  That TSN ain't a bad sports site for a bunch of backwater Canucks; right, Otis?  And a nice take on the Trent Green issue.

Second Down: Here come the Steelers

While everyone seems to be talking about the undefeated Indianapolis Colts and the unbeaten New England Patriots, I believe the Pittsburgh Steelers are still a big threat to become the best team in the AFC.  

After sleepwalking through their only loss versus the Arizona Cardinals in Week 3, the Steelers re-emerged and shut out the high octane Seattle Seahawks 21-0 this past weekend.   The Pittsburgh Steelers have got out to a 4-1 start this year by playing traditional Steelers football: running the ball offensively and stopping the run defensively.  

The Patriots will eventually play the Steelers December 9th at Gillette Stadium and I think this could a game for the ages.  

The Steelers ability to run the football with Willie Parker and Najeh Davenport allows them to slow down the tempo of a game. They can eat up the clock, keeping opposing offensive playmakers on the sidelines.  

Defensively they are built to stop the run and make teams one-dimensional.  Last year Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin was the defensive co-coordinator in Minnesota and led a defense that ended up No. 1 in the NFL against the run.  In fact, only the 2000 Baltimore Ravens gave up fewer yards rushing per game than Tomlin's Vikings did in 2006.  

When it's all said and done, I feel that the Steelers match up perfectly with teams like the New England Patriots and the Indianapolis Colts, and those two teams would be wise to treat Pittsburgh as a major threat.
« Last Edit: Oct 11, 2007 at 23:54 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 08:16 »

In fact, only the 2000 Baltimore Ravens gave up fewer yards rushing per game than Tomlin's Vikings did in 2006.

Okay, uh, wow.  Did not realize that, but it's pretty impressive.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 10:16 »

In fact, only the 2000 Baltimore Ravens gave up fewer yards rushing per game than Tomlin's Vikings did in 2006.

Okay, uh, wow.  Did not realize that, but it's pretty impressive.
Problem was, no one was sure if it was because the run D was any good or because the secondary was so bad, IIRC, bottom 5.  Ravens 2K at least had that.  Part of the problem with the Vike D was injuries, though, so teams aren't passing on them quite as much.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2007 at 13:19 »

nice.  i actually met this guy at a PGA tournament in New York a few years ago after he was on the bachelor.  I don't watch anything like that on TV so I had no idea who he was.  there was a group of people around and we were chatting and i asked him, "so, what do you do?"  there was a sort of hushed silent moment and he answered, "uh, i'm backup QB for the Giants."  i was like, "what?  The New York Giants? sorry, i had no idea because i only pay attention to the Steelers.  Anyway, good luck with that."  He then told me he loves the Steelers so we just talked about that.  my friend i was with was cracking up and then informed me he was also a famous reality star. he seemed to be pretty down to earth considering everyone but me seemed to know who he was...

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: