Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 05:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking back: should we have kept Plax?  (Read 2835 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 11:20 »

I will say that he looks like he's playing more phsyical, more determined.  Does that say something about the coaching or system here versus NY?  Or did the light go on for the guy?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50

« Reply #21 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 11:37 »

I will say that he looks like he's playing more phsyical, more determined.
And this is what I think, too.

I grant that Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, and Chad Johnson are more consistent receivers, as are most of the other guys at the top of anyone's list of the best WRs.

But I think that, when he's at his best, Plax can be a near-unstoppable big-play machine, in the Randy Moss category, and that he can be a game-changer, as I mentioned before, with his ability to make teams think twice about their use of safeties, for example.

I grant that he's never played at his best very much of the time before this season, but this year it looks like he's stepped up.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 13:06 »

Let's wait a month or two before we put Plax in the pantheon.  Dude has a history of not maintaining for a full season, and he plays for Herr Coughlin, whose players have a history of quitting on him around week 9.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
JerseySteeler

« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 15:52 »

Every year smart-ass Giant fans have some sarcastic thanks for giving us Plaxico comment early in the year.

I usually just tell them to wait a month or two and then see how they feel.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 17:30 »

But I think that, when he's at his best, Plax can be a near-unstoppable big-play machine, in the Randy Moss category,

There's only one player worthy of the Randy Moss category. He's the best WR of all-time IMO.

There are these non-stop ****-riding media opinions that NE is the greatest team ever assembled and all the while the Steelers would have been just that good if we would've traded for Moss.  

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:25 »

When people bash the Steelers for being cheap, the typical response is something like, "Name one player who after the Steelers let walk, did anything significant."  The one and only answer had always been Rod Woodson.  Now I think we can add Plax to the list.

A lot of the posts on this thread seem like sour grapes.  I'll never totally forgive him for the 2004 AFC Championship game where on two occasions a CB 7 inches shorter than him won a one on one battle for the football.  But the light bulb came on for this guy, and he's showing everyone what the Steelers saw in him when making him a top 10 pick.

It's a tough question to answer, b/c of the salary cap, and the consideration of who we'd have lost had we signed Plax.  But the Giants have him for below market value IMO.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #26 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 21:45 »

maybe I'm missing something but, who is the greatest WR of all time?   swann, stallworth, thigpen (he was so good), rice etc....

i'm curious if we were even in the running for Moss as when that deal went down (4th rounder?  jesus) I was suprised as shit and like, "fuck".  i wonder if anyone else was in the running

moss is like the beyond smart kid in high school who drops out because he's bored...he gets on a team with a chance and his interest is piqued and there you go...tired of all the patriots hoopla but hey, they're playing pretty undeniably great.

Plax is doing good now but let's see in week 12 when the giants are behind in the wild card and he doesn't feel like finishing his route or blocking downfield....

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
padgfrombf

« Reply #27 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 11:40 »

Why in blue blazes would Moss come to the 'Burgh in lieu of a pass-first offense such as that in New England?  FWIW, that two year hiatus chasing the big bucks in his prime is going to cost Moss a shot at Jerry Rice's all time records for yardage and TD's.  Moss is now 30.  For perspective, Rice's last mega-year was at Age 33.

Anyway, NE stocked up on Thomas, Welker, and Moss for an obvious SB push.  That and their DB's are now a lot younger.  About the only two weaknesses that I can find with this team are a relatively old LB group and a dependance on Brady remaining upright into the playoffs.  
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 16:16 »

Why in blue blazes would Moss come to the 'Burgh in lieu of a pass-first offense such as that in New England?
That thought occurred to me, but, one could point out:  While NE no doubt has a system where they pass more frequently, to date they were more of a short passing team.  Add to that: the fact that BR has nearly the highest yards per attempt in recent history of the league!  Moss has always seemed to thrive on the long bomb.

I can imagine both of those guys enjoying Ben rolling out and chucking it deep to Moss several times a game.

I sure would have.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Oct 17, 2007 at 17:22 »

I remember media heads and fantasy gurus slobbering over Moss going to Oakland, where their unstoppable offense would rack up... well, the gaudy stats that New England is actually posting.  Well.  Moss then was not the Moss now, and just as Plax of week 9 might not be the Plax of week 6, let's see if old Randy can keep this up a full season.  Moss blew any chance of breaking the Rice records loafing it in the anarchy that was Raiderville.  I don't think he'll start loafing in some sort of prima donna hissy fit, but I'll believe he can turn in a complete season when he actually does it.  

In retrospect, a R4 for Moss was a steal, but at the time?  No sure thing.

As for Plax, I still think young Holmes is a better bet.  He's shown more hustle in 2 years here than Plax EVER did; imagine what he'll do when he's really clicking.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: