Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 22:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sustainable Food Thread  (Read 13495 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #50 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 09:21 »

Good man, jonzr.  We've downsized our garden somewhat: I have to have fresh tomatoes all summer long, so I plant some heirloom varieties.  I also need lots of fresh herbs.  But we now get a lot from our CSA, which is about $13 a week.  Weather here has still been down around freezing most nights, but I planted some herbs last week anyway.  Had some rosemary that I thought froze out over the winter but when I went to pull it I thought it might just be dormant.  Have rhubarb and raspberries that I thought were choked by weeds coming back, and should see my second-year asparagus soon.

Great article in the NY Times about why sustainability matters. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #51 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 09:46 »

Great article in the NY Times about why sustainability matters. 

That's just scary.  And people, we all know better than this, right?
Thorough cooking will kill the bacteria, but people often use the same knife to cut raw meat and then to chop vegetables. Or they plop a pork chop on a plate, cook it and then contaminate it by putting it back on the original plate.

Many of the seeds started sprouting after 5 days and most had sprouted over the weekend.  May need to get some in the ground before this weekend but some of those suckers don't look like they'll wait.  I over seeded in the little green house containers with the plan to divide them out when transplanting and then share some leftovers with a neighbor down the street who also gardens.

We have rabbits in the neighborhood and I see them running across the backyard from time to time and frequently see them in front yards when walking around - am now thinking about a small fence.  Wasn't really wanting to do that but I don't want some wascally wabbit getting my bounty.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #52 on: Mar 16, 2009 at 10:10 »

I would definitely do a fence, they will clean you out.  You might also want to get some coyote urine at whatever local hunting/sporting goods store is nearby.  That tends scare them from trying too hard to get over the fence.

BTW, no cold or flu since 2006.  2007 was when I started the sustainable food stuff in earnest.  Coincidence, maybe, maybe not.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #53 on: Apr 08, 2009 at 12:03 »

Great article on grass-fed beef.

Doing so would have many benefits. It would give us a more humane livestock system, a healthier human diet, less deadly E. coli, elimination of feedlots, a bonanza of wildlife habitat nationwide, enormous savings in energy, virtual elimination of pesticides and chemical fertilizers on those lands, elimination of catastrophic flooding that periodically plagues the Mississippi Basin, and most intriguingly, a dramatic reduction in global warming gases.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #54 on: Apr 08, 2009 at 12:13 »

Finny,

You haven't lived until you've enjoyed a burger that offers up a hint of M&Ms and tater chips.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2009 at 18:55 »

Food, Inc.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2009 at 12:31 »

Good article from Mother Earth News about the benefits to health and earth from eating grass-fed beef.

Just re-stocked the freezer with a few steaks, a lot of ground beef.  Farmer Bob was in rare, rare form.  He's expounding on the evils of Obama et al., and I'm just thinking, OK, I just need my damned beef.  But in all, he's an interesting if ornery guy.

Got a 6-pound brisket, which I smoked for Memorial Day.  Being neither Jewish nor Texan, smoking brisket is not exactly in the blood.  However, using Raichlen's original book on grilling as my guide, I set the boeuf over some hardwood coals and kept refreshing with new coals and hickory chunks, every hour for 7 hours.  Low and slow.  (Raichlen's book is really excellent; his salmon recipe is insanely good.) 

The brisket was a fucking masterpiece.  I've been having thin-sliced beef on rosemary bread with horseradish mayo all week, and if my farts moo, so fucking be it.  Just delicious.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #57 on: Jun 22, 2009 at 21:53 »

Made a most excellent chicken soup yesterday.  Boiled a whole chicken, picked off the meat then put all the skin, bones, etc. back and boiled down for another 90 min or so.  Added chopped carrots, cabbage, celery and garlic clove and simmered till those were almost tender then added sliced squash and onions and finished cooking.  Added in some of the chopped chicken and cut the heat after a couple more minutes.

The onion and squash were from the garden.  I've tried chicken soup a few other times with decent results, but I tended to put too much stuff in and ruined the liquid ratio.  Got it just right this time.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #58 on: Jun 23, 2009 at 06:51 »

Made a most excellent chicken soup yesterday.  Boiled a whole chicken, picked off the meat then put all the skin, bones, etc. back and boiled down for another 90 min or so.  Added chopped carrots, cabbage, celery and garlic clove and simmered till those were almost tender then added sliced squash and onions and finished cooking.  Added in some of the chopped chicken and cut the heat after a couple more minutes.

The onion and squash were from the garden.  I've tried chicken soup a few other times with decent results, but I tended to put too much stuff in and ruined the liquid ratio.  Got it just right this time.

Sounds good...  Hmmm, I have to start thinking summer soups.  My standards are curried zucchini soup and broccoli soup, but I have to think about something different.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #59 on: Sep 24, 2009 at 15:00 »

Well, time to start thinking about fall soups... LOL.

I have a new supplier that actually delivers.  Judith and Jonas Stoltzfus from Perry County!  I made up a batch of meatballs, one pound of Farmer Bob's beef, and a pound of Judy and Jonas's beef, and judged them to be equally good.  The Stoltzfuses also deliver chicken and eggs, which I've had a hard time getting.  (Most of the farms are at least 30-45 minutes one way, and I'm not motivated to drive the hour or hour and a half for chicken.)  The chicken seems really pricey, but I guess that's what you get if you don't want a sick slab of fowl full of chemicals and disease. 

I have also been looking for good farm eggs, the kind with the yolks so dark they're almost yellow, and the Costco and grocery chain store organic and "free range" eggs just have a disappointing color to them.  Finally!  The Stoltzfuses' eggs are almost orange, and I swear you can taste the difference.  No more pricey than the organics, either.

We didn't freeze anywhere near as much as we did last year, but we had a great summer of CSA veggies, and I have a fridge full of the last two weeks' goodies left to use up. 

Judy and Jonas also delivered some beef bones, which I bake up for the dog.  Man, the one bone looks like it came from a frickin' Brontosaurus, or whatever you kids call them now.  Dog loves them.  I also made him a couple of meatballs without onions and seasoning, for his breakfast.  He considers me a god.

Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: