Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 21, 2014 at 00:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sustainable Food Thread  (Read 13223 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #60 on: Sep 27, 2009 at 14:40 »

Funny this thread should pop up as I spent this morning in the garden.  Planted some collards and broccoli (from pint transplants) a couple weeks ago and today planted two brussel sprouts (quart transplants) and mixed winter squash (spaghetti, butter, acorn and something else) and onions from seed.

Before planting I cleaned up the patch a bit and put down a yard of peat moss, 100lbs of manure and some native mulch.

Also harvested several banana, bell, jalapeno and habanero peppers.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #61 on: Sep 27, 2009 at 15:29 »

Here they are:

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #62 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 08:43 »

Here they are:

I don't see anything...my browser or your post?

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #63 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 08:53 »

Weird, it was a pic yesterday!  I had linked straight to the pic, but here's the post:

http://myphonepics.posterous.com/peppers-from-the-garden

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #64 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 09:03 »

Weird, it was a pic yesterday!  I had linked straight to the pic, but here's the post:

Nice...you eating the habaneros?  angry4

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #65 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 10:52 »

I haven't tried the habeneros yet - that's the first batch of the season.  It's strange, I've been getting a ton of banana and green peppers for weeks but the habs and jalapenos were slow to get going and the plants (two each) are only about 18" tall at this point (planted back in April).

But it may have to do with the okra (pulled them all up 2-3 wks ago) planted nearby - probably too close and too shady. 

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #66 on: Sep 28, 2009 at 12:12 »

Weird, it was a pic yesterday!  I had linked straight to the pic, but here's the post:

Nicely done!!!!!  Here in the Rockies, after a full summer, we'll get about 2 green peppers off of one plant, and that is the yield for the summer.  Mrs. BV does some gardening, but I don't think it is worth the hassle here.  Squash and Zucchini do well, but everythign else takes a bit of work for very modest yield.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #67 on: Sep 30, 2009 at 08:23 »

Thank you, sir.  I made stuffed bell peppers last night and they were pretty damn good.  The stuffing was ground beef and more peppers and onions, surprisingly rich.

And the habeneros are hotter than hell.  I was cleaning some and decided to take a little bite of a raw one - my lips burned for a couple of hours and I think that part of my tongue went numb.  The finger and thumb (which handled) burned for the rest of the evening.  We were out of yogurt to neutralize the effect so I was really careful to not touch my face with that hand.  Matter of fact, I was cooking down (med, lowish heat) a combo of banana, jalapeno and habenero in a covered skillet.  Removing the lid released a cloud of fumes that literally burned my throat when I inhaled.  That was a result of 4 little habs with a couple dozen bananas and jalapenos.

The jalapenos are hot but there's no comparison to the habeneros, they deserve their reputation.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #68 on: Sep 30, 2009 at 11:56 »

Thank you, sir.  I made stuffed bell peppers last night and they were pretty damn good.  The stuffing was ground beef and more peppers and onions, surprisingly rich.

And the habeneros are hotter than hell.  I was cleaning some and decided to take a little bite of a raw one - my lips burned for a couple of hours and I think that part of my tongue went numb.  The finger and thumb (which handled) burned for the rest of the evening.  We were out of yogurt to neutralize the effect so I was really careful to not touch my face with that hand.  Matter of fact, I was cooking down (med, lowish heat) a combo of banana, jalapeno and habenero in a covered skillet.  Removing the lid released a cloud of fumes that literally burned my throat when I inhaled.  That was a result of 4 little habs with a couple dozen bananas and jalapenos.

The jalapenos are hot but there's no comparison to the habeneros, they deserve their reputation.

Be careful with those things! Aren't they supposed to be the 2nd hottest pepper in the world on that scale for pepper hotness?

When I went to the Sugar Bowl in NO in 1999 to watch the Hokies and FSU, we ate at House of Blues and one of my friends got a meal that had a pepper on the plate, the waitress set the plate down and said, "Be careful with that pepper." Which, of course, means that he had to eat the thing in front of all his friends or we would have called him a puss. He did...and I'm glad my meal didn't come with a pepper and a disclaimer.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #69 on: Sep 30, 2009 at 12:07 »

My one grilling book has a recipe for lobster tail with habanero.  You roast the habanero with some kind of liquid inside it, then just pour the juice over the lobster and throw the pepper away...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: