Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 26, 2014 at 10:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little love for #43  (Read 1214 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 15, 2007 at 19:34 »

The proverbial inside sources say this about Troy:

"Ed Reed is special," another GM said. "The guy at Pittsburgh [Polamalu] is really good, not overrated, but there are some holes in his game."

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2007 at 19:43 »

The proverbial inside sources say this about Troy:

"Ed Reed is special," another GM said. "The guy at Pittsburgh [Polamalu] is really good, not overrated, but there are some holes in his game."

Could that executive live in Balty?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 07:21 »

All I need to know about Ed Reed is what I see after every interception.  Instead of returning and getting down to guarantee possesion, he looks for a team mate to lateral to and puts the ball back out there.  

I'll just leave it at this, I am certain I wouldn't trade Troy for Ed Reed straight up.  Period.

PUMA
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 07:31 »

All I need to know about Ed Reed is what I see after every interception.  Instead of returning and getting down to guarantee possesion, he looks for a team mate to lateral to and puts the ball back out there.  

I'll just leave it at this, I am certain I wouldn't trade Troy for Ed Reed straight up.  Period.

PUMA
 :sheep2:  :yeehaw:  :sheep2:  

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 07:43 »

Quarterbacks marvel at Reed's range and overall playmaking ability... Polamalu moves around constantly and blitzes from various angles...

"Polamalu is an issue in protection while Reed is a factor for the quarterback and where his throws are going," the defensive coordinator said. "He's supposed to be in the post, but he might be jumping a route on the other side of the field."

The implication, perhaps, that Reed is superior because he's getting more picks and disrupting passing routes more.  Which is odd, considering Reed's a FREE safety and Polamalu's a STRONG safety.   :rolleyes:   Taking THAT into consideration, it's notable that Troy has as much of an impact on the passing game as he does.  A better comparison would be Troy and Dawan Landry.  Or really, how about a comparison with a guy like Adrian Wilson?  Now that's an apples-to-apples comparison of two top players.

It's almost like saying LT is a running back you have to gameplan more than Dan Kreider.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 07:44 »

Ed Reed is one of the top 5 overrated players in the entire league.  he's one-dimensional - he just sits back and plays center field waiting for a pass to come his way.  Troy's strength is his versatility, he's all over the field and he needs to be accounted for.  Ed Reed could NOT do what Troy does, and Troy (or just about any safety in the league, for that matter if they were in Reed's position on that defense) could do what Ed Reed does, but it would take away from what makes Troy great.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
padgfrombf

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 09:01 »

Ed Reed's a great player, former DPOY and perennial All Pro at free safety.  Let me capitalize this for that moron GM and scribes that make this comparison:  Free Safety.  

Troy Polamalu is a great player, with a SB ring and perennial All Pro at strong safety.  Again, let's say this slowly, Strong Safety.

(Note:  Sarcasm is not directed at MGS'ers, who know the difference)

(Edit on 10/17:  Note that Finny also immediately picked up on the SS vs. FS above, parallel post, proving that MGS'ers actually do think a little.)

I guess because there isn't another FS around that is a direct comparison to Reed, Maul gets hauled into this discussion.  If somebody wants to bring Brian Dawkins, John Lynch, or Roy Williams into this, fine, but Dawkins and Lynch are at the end of their careers, and Williams is a near-fraud for pass coverage in space.

Anyway, Ed Reed would be a very good strong safety, if he could hold up to the punishment.  Maul would be a very good free safety, though he's a little squat for the position (FWIW, Troy is not 5-10, his listed height, or else I'm now 6-3).  Point is that both are playing in their proper positions.

Reed's a couple years older and has started 80 games.  Troy has started 49.  I projected Polamalu's stats to 80 games for comparison.  Here's an idea of the difference between a Pro Bowl FS and SS:

Ed Reed
GS = 80
Tackles = 291
Assists = 52
Sacks = 4.0
Pass Defensed = 50
Int. = 31
Forced Fumbles = 5

Troy Polamalu
GS = 49 (data projected to 80 games)
Tackles = 331
Assists = 117
Sacks = 8.0
Pass Defensed = 57
Int. = 16
Forced Fumbles = 7

Reed dominates in the glory stat, picks, Troy leads in all other categories, including passes defended, which surprised me a little .  I know defensive stats are often a little fuzzy, but the point is that Reed and Polamalu are not necessarily interchangable parts.  So maybe I'm missing something, but why compare the two?
« Last Edit: Oct 17, 2007 at 11:10 by padgfrombf » Logged
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 09:28 »

I guess, maybe, in the context of the article, the comparison makes sense.  Maybe a QB has to work and game plan around Ed Reed more.

However, I find this a little hard to believe.  Clearly, teams have tried everything they can to account for and eliminate Troy as a factor.  Hate to say it, but Seattle was very effective with this in the SB.  If coaches and QBs are not changing their plans to avoid TP, well, good.  It's to their own detriment--and just ask Peyton Manning.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 11:43 »

Speaking of inflated heights, anyone notice that Sony commercial with Peyton ("And here is where..." blah blah blah)?  He walks into the living room and has to duck the arch before nestling in with the shocked family on the couch?

How freaking obvious is it that they had to doctor things to make him look giant?  Sure, he's tall, but unless his tibia and fibula are about three times as long as his femur, it's pretty damned evident he's walking on a raised platform.  I mean, you see his knees over the couch.  

Every time I see that commercial I want to bowl the sofa over and point to the camera: "See?!?  SEE?!?! He's not the Jolly Green fucking GIANT."

Maybe it's just me.

DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 12:03 »

This is the same ESPN that Steve Young said in the pregame last night:  Paraphrase:  The question is can Indy beat NE in the AFC Championship game.

So, I take what they say with a grain of salt.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 13:16 »

Speaking of commercials, I love that new (??) one from the NFL fantasy draft guys ("Yes, Billy.  Ballet parking.  Bring your toe shoes.")

They're sitting on the couch watching a John Lynch post game interview and the scraggly lookin' guy is parroting everything that Lynch is going to say right before he answers each question.  "Hey, Jake, Lillian and Lindsay"...and don't forget Leah..."Oh, and how could I forget Leah."  Turns..."BOO!!!"

Fuckin' great stuff.  Can't believe I couldn't find it on YouTube.

From the DID YOU KNOW files...Did you know that Lynch once knocked out his brother in law (John Allred TE - CHI) with a helmet to helmet shot?  Wish I could have that opportunity...

Oh, and Polamalu sucks, man.  Didn't you see the Steelers shutout the Seahawks two weeks ago without him?  Trade him now and give the spot to Anthony Smith.  He's just as good.
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2007 at 13:17 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 15:16 »

Pola sucks on accounta he's Samoan.  All those Samoan guys are dumb, slow, and pisspoor.

I didn't like the NFL  FF commercial where the Colts guy is diddling with his celly and Billy thinks it makes toast.  Lame.  The Lynch one was pretty good, though.

sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2007 at 15:26 »

Pola sucks on accounta he's Samoan.  All those Samoan guys are dumb, slow, and pisspoor.

I didn't like the NFL  FF commercial where the Colts guy is diddling with his celly and Billy thinks it makes toast.  Lame.  The Lynch one was pretty good, though.
the "BOO" one makes me laugh every time, same with the aflac commercial with the goat: Nah,nah,nah!

Go Steelers
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: