Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 22:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The complete ripping of the coaching staff  (Read 3649 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #30 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:10 »

The Steelers gameplan on Sunday was the exact same thing they've been doing for the past three seasons and five games. It didn't work on Sunday. That doesn't make it a bad plan.

That simply can't be true.  I'm fine with the "this plan wasn't as flawed as your claiming" argument, but to say that this is the exact same thing the Steelers have been doing during the past three seasons is definitely false.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #31 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:19 »

That simply can't be true.

It simply is true. The Steelers have been throwing in the first quarter (and first half) of games all the way back to 2005, including every game of the playoffs that year.

Ryan Wilson breaks it down much better than I did. It's the second post down.

The Steelers are a classic example of a team, "running when it wins" and not  "winning when it runs."

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:21 »

Actually, DJF, it goes back to 2004.  Ben threw significantly more passes in the first half that season than he did in the second half.  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #33 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 14:22 »

My Breakdown

I was going to write about this topic over at SCI, but Ryan beat me to the punch...

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Winters in Holland

« Reply #34 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 21:10 »

That simply can't be true.

It simply is true. The Steelers have been throwing in the first quarter (and first half) of games all the way back to 2005, including every game of the playoffs that year.

Ryan Wilson breaks it down much better than I did. It's the second post down.

The Steelers are a classic example of a team, "running when it wins" and not  "winning when it runs."

Actually, if you read the article, you'd see it was only on the 2005 playoff run, during which they obviously did throw the ball a lot.

4 games does not equal 3 seasons.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #35 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 21:16 »

Actually, if you read the article, you'd see it was only on the 2005 playoff run,

He only broke down the playoffs.

I broke down the entire season. From my site:

heck out the pass:run ratio by quarter during the regular season:

First quarter: Pass: 50 - Run: 50
Second quarter: Pass: 53 - Run: 47
Third Quarter: Pass: 39 - Run: 61
Fourth Quarter: Pass: 36 - Run: 64

During '05, the Steelers played 20 games. In 11 of those games, they threw more than they ran in the first quarter. In six of those games, they ran more than they threw. In the other three, it was an even balance.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Oct 25, 2007 at 21:45 »

MGP fight! MGP fight! No hair pulling!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
padgfrombf

« Reply #37 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 00:43 »

Certainly take care of the ball.  Most teams have problems winning with 2 picks and a fumble for TD, even if they get a couple turnovers themselves.

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 00:52 »

Most teams have problems winning with 2 picks and a fumble for TD

exactly...i would bet if that "brain fart" of a snap doesnt take place, this conversation wouldnt have been started in the first place.  any defensive TD will kill a teams chances of winning with/without a solid offensive game plan.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Winters in Holland

« Reply #39 on: Oct 26, 2007 at 10:09 »

Actually, if you read the article, you'd see it was only on the 2005 playoff run,

He only broke down the playoffs.

I broke down the entire season. From my site:

heck out the pass:run ratio by quarter during the regular season:

First quarter: Pass: 50 - Run: 50
Second quarter: Pass: 53 - Run: 47
Third Quarter: Pass: 39 - Run: 61
Fourth Quarter: Pass: 36 - Run: 64

During '05, the Steelers played 20 games. In 11 of those games, they threw more than they ran in the first quarter. In six of those games, they ran more than they threw. In the other three, it was an even balance.
I'm fine with a 50:50 pass:run balance (though I certainly prefer more run than pass), but we didn't even see that in the Denver game.

Didn't the Steelers only attempt something like 3 runs on their first few series?  That really tips the ratio towards passing over running, and when we start to do that, I think the team begins to enter a type of game that they are not nearly as successful at winning.

.WiH.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: