Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 18, 2014 at 08:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The complete ripping of the coaching staff  (Read 4193 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 19:08 »

Definitely some problems with execution.  I still say it comes down to the Two Deadly Sins of the 2007 team: OL shortcomings, and inability of current scheme to cover the soft middle.

You can analyze Ben's throws, or Hines's drops, or whatever you want, but until the OL gives us some better blocking it's all moot.

And yes, I love LeBeau, but seeing 92 on Scheffler was painful.  Maybe that's where Timmons is an upgrade, but IMO there's some need for scheme adjustments on obvious 3rd down passing situations.  Maybe that's where we go to some kind of package like a 2-4-5 where more athletic backers (the rooks?) drop, in a rotational package.  

Bottom line, when ****'s D works, it works big, and when it's exposed it's ugly.

I think we're one draft from greatness.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 19:22 »

If you want to run the ball, but a team is stacked up to stop the run (Lynch coming up as the 8th man in the box) you have one of two options.

1.  The Bill Cowher method of lining up with 2 WR, 1 TE, a FB and run the ball for 1 or 2 yards, hoping to spring something or tire the defense out.

2.  What we thought would be the Bruce Arians way of spreading out a defense and trying to run out of it.  

In our two losses, we played teams that geared up to stop the run, yet Arians didn't do much in terms of spreading out the defense and running from it.  This is the benefit of FWP being an every down back.  If we go into the shotgun or a 4 WR set, we can still run our best RB out of it.  If a team goes to 4 WR, you alleviate the problems associated with "8 in the box."  This is what Oakland did to us on a Sunday night in 2002 when we couldn't stop the short passes, and no one could run on us.  Everyone "spread us out" and threw out of it to set up runs.  Charlie Garner ripped us apart in that game b/c Oakland ran from predominantly passing formations.  Most teams pull their run stuffers out of the game when they're in their nickle or dime defense (like we do with Hampton) so when we ran a 4 receiver set, Denver's run stuffers were on the bench, and some holes would have (in theory) been opened up.

As a coach, I know the easy comeback to criticism of coaching or playcalling is that if the players execute, no one criticizes playcalling.  But on the other hand, the job of a coach is to put his players in the best possible position to succeed.  When a team puts 8 or 9 in the box, there are ways to combat that, and Bruce Arians has failed to try all of his options.  Parker needs to understand the offense from the shotgun or the "spread" as it's oftentimes incorrectly termed so that if in the 2nd quarter on first and ten from our 31, we can try that formation to still establish the run.  

Last night's loss is due in large part to a couple factors.  The Offensive Line played like dirt.  Ben has to protect the ball on a sack.  Willie needs to learn how to juke a defender.  (He outruns them all the time, but when was the last time he juked a defender?!) Hines needed to start playing from the opening kickoff, the pass defense was hideous, and Bruce Arians' playcalling and strategy was questionable in the first half.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 19:46 »

But who cares how you move the ball, as long as you move it?  Necessity (versus luxury?) seems irrelevant.  I doubt any Denver fans are complaining about the play calling on their side of the ball, despite running it fewer times than we did.

Not saying it was perfectly called game by Arians-- far from it.  But to pin this one on the playcalling when the first half execution by the offense was horrendous, and the second half by the defense was equally bad, seems off the mark.

I'm not bashing BA. Maybe it wasn't the best playcalling, but that shouldn't be an excuse. Bad execution from the players will make any play call look bad.  When your down by 14 in the 4th, you pretty much have to pass. And they did out of necessity(the score). But in the first half, when the team was trying to throw Denver out of the 8 man front's(albeit without the spread O), they were obviously unsuccessful. I don't care at all how they move the ball, but bashing your head into a wall would produce the same results as trying to run into that D repeatly. Denver was saying, "We are going to make BR beat us", and he almost did. But it is a disturbing trend that when BR throws a lot(over 30X) the Steelers generally lose....I place this loss first and foremost on the D. 28 points should have been more than enough to beat that team. However, it appears the Steelers O is not as balanced as we would hope for...Your just jumping on me, Penso, because your dam Gunners are top of the table and my Blues are going through quite a year(not in a good way).
 ;)  
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2007 at 20:45 »

Your just jumping on me, Penso, because your dam Gunners are top of the table and my Blues are going through quite a year(not in a good way).
 ;)
City, Portsmouth and Blackburn will fade, though.  You'll qualify for Europe on sheer talent alone.  Wenger's gone after this year regardless-- Arsenal's window is closing I fear.

/hijack

A shabby Charlie Brown.
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 07:05 »

The defense did blow in this one, especially on 3rd downs. I think losing Aaron Smith hurt us more than we let on. Eason did nothing from what I saw (and I still have no idea where he came from, who he is, etc..)

Offensively here's how I see it. It was the playcalling, but more importantly, it was the personnel groupings with the play calls. 3 TE 2Rb formations will NOT reduce the number of men in the box. What makes it worse, is that you can only audible from that formation. Can't suddenly go 4 wide with Spaeth, Miller, Tuman, Davis. I have no problem with the "pass happy" steelers in the first half. We had a couple drops, but tyhe OL blew chunks and couldn't block a 4th grader. Coupled with a denver defense dedicated to stopping the run and our formations, what else could we do?

I get sick of revisiting the Arians is gonna spread them out talk, cause it aint happened yet. All we've done is throw to the TE more and drop the I formation in favor of 3TE sets.

Lets not forget too the impact of being maligned by the media for 2 weeks about how bad the run d is, plus the fact that the city/players/fans are amped up about MLB too.

That being said.....I like the Steelers over the Bengals 256-2!

Go Steelers
mrblack66

« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 10:50 »

how does the O game plan come into question when you put up 28??

Denver was geared to stop the run. We passed and we scored 28 thru the air.

How about the #1 D giving up 31? Jay Cutler just completed another one on 3rd and 16 and its Tuesday!

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 11:01 »

How about the #1 D giving up 31? Jay Cutler just completed another one on 3rd and 16 and its Tuesday!
That's a bit misleading, though.  I agree that the D shat the bed on 3rd downs, and taking away basically all of the middle of the field.  But when did we score those 28 points?  We were down 14 most of the 2H.  That's not good gameplanning, that's called Ben playing catchup.  Not the way I want our O to play week in and week out...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50

« Reply #17 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 12:03 »

That's a bit misleading, though.  I agree that the D shat the bed on 3rd downs, and taking away basically all of the middle of the field.  But when did we score those 28 points?  We were down 14 most of the 2H.  That's not good gameplanning, that's called Ben playing catchup.  Not the way I want our O to play week in and week out...
Not to mention Denver playing a little bit of prevent? I don't want to take away what Ben did, but Denver seemed to go prevent damn early and conceded the short stuff -- which Ben smartly took.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 12:59 »

Not to mention Denver playing a little bit of prevent? I don't want to take away what Ben did, but Denver seemed to go prevent damn early and conceded the short stuff -- which Ben smartly took.

I may be missing something, but I didn't see much prevent all night.  There was still a lot of blitzing and a lot of 8 in the box.  Difference is that BEN (not just oline) picked that up and changed plays and started taking what had been there all night rather than looking to make the huge throws downfield.  We also threw in some new plays (the WR screens) and apparently FWP yelled "I'm open!" loud enough to get Ben to throw him the ball.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
mrblack66

« Reply #19 on: Oct 23, 2007 at 14:37 »

I wasnt exactly praising the gameplan either, I was just trying to point out that even if we ran more than we threw it would have been a real bitch to cover the 31 our #1 D gave up to a team that managed just 3 the week before.

Im a little concerned for Sunday.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: