Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 19, 2014 at 17:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golic still doesn't get it  (Read 1275 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« on: Oct 29, 2007 at 10:41 »

Mike & Mike this morning did a quick rundown on the games over the weekend.  Commenting on us, Golic looked at the number of rushing attempts/yards for the Steelers and said effectively if they keep to that formula, they'll win a lot of games.  Once again, as he hasn't for a few years now, he doesn't realize that the run/pass ratio is largely determined by how the game plays out, not vice versa.  the game was won in the first half when the ratio was basically 50/50.

Don't these guys EVER look at a play-by-play breakdown of the game?  I understand there's not enough time to watch every game of the weekend by Monday morning, but it takes 5 minutes to review a play sequence and get an idea of how the game really went.

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 10:56 »

Technically he is correct though. The ratio of run to pass increased in the second half because we were winning. And if we are able to keep doing that we will win alot of games....Technically.
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007 at 10:57 by vinman3 » Logged

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 11:05 »

Statistically, the World Series team that uncorks champagne is the team that has always won the series.  Therefore, had the Rockies simply uncorked some champagne, they would have won the series.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 11:10 »

Here's what's ironic about this.

You could argue that, if anything, the Steelers should have thrown more in the 2nd half, given that the Bengals had no answer for Ben and were selling out to stop the run to boot after halftime.

We let them make a bit of a game of it by NOT passing more (although, as noted, we pretty much accomplished our goal on every drive, whether that was scoring points or killing the clock).
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2007 at 11:10 by Hercules50 » Logged
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 11:33 »

I did like the stats at halftime that showed the Bengals only had 3 possessions in the 1st half.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 12:08 »

You could argue that, if anything, the Steelers should have thrown more in the 2nd half, given that the Bengals had no answer for Ben and were selling out to stop the run to boot after halftime.

We let them make a bit of a game of it by NOT passing more (although, as noted, we pretty much accomplished our goal on every drive, whether that was scoring points or killing the clock).

I think the amount of running was OK, considering the game situation.  First drive of the second half (up 21-6), was a 12 play 7+ minute drive.  Seven designed runs, two intended pass plays resulting in scrambles by Ben, and three actual passes - two completions and the INT.

second drive (up 21-13) - 11 plays, 6:48 TOP.  5 passes, 5 runs, FG.  You could say we got a little conservative when we got in FG range (last three plays all runs), but a FG puts us up 2 scores, and Ben had just thrown a pick in scoring range on the previous drive.  As much as I love Ben, I can see taking the ball out of his hands in that situation (plus you can't take a sack there).

third drive - (up 24-13) - six runs + kneeldown.  3+ minutes, game over.  All runs, sure.  But if they can't stop the run in that situation, why take a risk?  Both third downs were 3 or less for the first down.  No problem running there.

I did like the stats at halftime that showed the Bengals only had 3 possessions in the 1st half.

They only had three possessions in the second half also.  Talk about ball control and keeping their weapons on the bench.

padgfrombf

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 12:17 »

And the Bengals only saw the ball 3 times in the second half as well.

Marvin not only screwed the pooch by going for the short FG, which was widely criticized in the home press, but he also punted on 4th-and-1 in the Bungles' second possession from the Steelers 45.  Given the state of the Bengal defense, that decision seemed to be misguided.  And it wasn't just hindsight, either.  I was cheering pretty loudly at the first quarter mark when the Bengal punt team came on.

I can see how the Bengals have managed to get into a few shootouts this year.  That is one bad defense.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 12:43 »

Marvin Lewis is one hell of a coach.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 12:57 »

Marvin not only screwed the pooch by going for the short FG, which was widely criticized in the home press

You got me by two minutes (see "anyone else surprised" thread).

Marvin Lewis is one hell of a coach.

Sad thing is, he's not really on the hot seat because the Bungles were so horrific before he got there, that years of mediocrity is a massive improvement.

Of course, sad only goes for Bungles fans.  The rest of us are quite happy with the current situation.  But, just in case any Bungles front office folks are reading, a little message in language they can understand:

SING MERV JEERY LOWES!!!1111
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 14:38 »

Marvin not only screwed the pooch by going for the short FG, which was widely criticized in the home press, but he also punted on 4th-and-1 in the Bungles' second possession from the Steelers 45.  Given the state of the Bengal defense, that decision seemed to be misguided.  And it wasn't just hindsight, either.  I was cheering pretty loudly at the first quarter mark when the Bengal punt team came on.

Agree completely.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: