Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 01, 2014 at 07:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone else surprised  (Read 764 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« on: Oct 29, 2007 at 12:19 »

The Bungles wussed out and kicked the FG on 4th and 1 from the 2 yard line?  You have to go for it in that situation.  Even if you don't make it, odds are the Steelers don't score again, and you may get the ball back with a chance to drive back into FG range before halftime.  As it played out, they were worse off going into the locker room because they gave us better field position after the kickoff, which turned into a backbreaking TD.
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 12:50 »

you should have heard the boos when they did that! i just chuckled and waved my terrible towel

Go Steelers
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 13:53 »

It didn't suprise me that much.  They take the sure points and make it a one score game.  I doubt anyone was expecting a 2 minute drive for another TD by the Steeler O at that point.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 14:13 »

It didn't suprise me that much. They take the sure points and make it a one score game.

I figure when you're that close, with that much time left in the half, you go for it.  The way we were moving the ball, and as Swiss cheesy as their D has been for so long, got to figure the Steelers would probably get an answering FG, so it's a wash.  Go for it, miss, and the Steelers likely try to run out the clock instead of risking a turnover.  Down 11 either way.  Get the TD, Steelers get a FG, it's 17-10 and you have the ball to start the second half.

If you figure scoring a TD in that situation is 50/50, and getting a FG is effectively 100%, then percentages favor going for it.  In two trips you get 6 points by kicking the FGs vs. 7 for the TD; plus, on the drive you don't score the touchdown, the opponent has lousy field position.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 14:37 »

I went after Marv Lewis loud and long yesterday, not only for the fielg goal decision, but also for punting on 4th and short in our territory earlier in the half.  I think they were around our 40, the punt went for a touchback, and the 20 yards they gained by the decision were moot about two or three plays later.

Lewis should look at what Crennel is doing and try to learn a little something about the importance of urgency in coaching.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 20:55 »

It didn't suprise me that much. They take the sure points and make it a one score game. I doubt anyone was expecting a 2 minute drive for another TD by the Steeler O at that point.

It not only surprised me, it THRILLED me!  Probabilities favor making it on third down.  We always bite on the playaction around the goal line.  And I rarely believe in kicking the field goal inside the 10, especially with the Stay-Puff Marshmallow Man defense the Been-gals play.

Forget the three, unless it puts you in some huge advantage to win the game (say, going up 20-10, making it a two-possession game, etc.).  Get a friggin' set and GO FOR IT!  Unless, of course, you're playing against the Steelers.  Then keep being a pansy.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 22:51 »

I went after Marv Lewis loud and long yesterday, not only for the fielg goal decision, but also for punting on 4th and short in our territory earlier in the half.  I think they were around our 40, the punt went for a touchback, and the 20 yards they gained by the decision were moot about two or three plays later.

The HC sets the tone and attitude for a team. Our guy wears black from head to toe when its 100 degree's therefore they physically beat the hell out of the people almost all the time. He projects strength and self confidence therefore the team does.

Lewis complains, whines, and projects the pussy image by kicking FG's and punting when they clearly needed 6 to win. Therefore the team is pussyish and lacks confidence because the HC obviously doesn't have any true confidence in his players. To sum up ML and the team in one word.....SOFT

Keep him in Cincy forever!
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29, 2007 at 23:25 »

To sum up ML and the team in one word.....SOFT

i would sum up starvin marvin lewis with the word "fear".  too much of a puss to go for it and went for the sure thing, a FG.  it wazsnt that he had no confidence in his team, it was he feared the steelers D would stop them and shove it down his throat and leave him with nothing.

It was Fear Billy!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: