Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 26, 2014 at 04:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roethlisberger  (Read 1330 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Oct 30, 2007 at 10:57 »

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7389164

Are the Steelers going to pay Ben "significantly" more than what guys like Romo and Bulger are getting?  Rookies get contracts based on nothing, since they have never played professional football, but Schaub, Bulger, and Romo are not rookies and have done nothing close to warranting $11M per and $5M per gauranteed.

What is Roethlisberger going to ask for?  $15 M per and $10M per gauranteed?  So $90 million for a comparable 6 year deal and $60 M gauranteed?

I can't see DEM CHEEPE @ZZ RONEYS PAEYIGN MOORE THEN $37!!!!11111

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 11:13 »

Romo and the Cowboys have agreed in principal on a six-year extension worth $67.5 million, which includes just north of $30 million guaranteed, league sources told FOXSports.com.

IMO, he'll command a salary in that same range.  

Haven't looked at future cap room in a while, but the Rooneys knew this was coming since XL.  Hence, Porter.                          

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 12:55 »

As I mentioned on another board, if I'm Pittsburgh, I don't use guys like Romo, Bulger or Palmer as models.  I point to a multiple Super Bowl winner in Brady.

6YR/60MIL with a subsequent restructure (I think) to allow them to bring in more guys.

For me, my starting point would be somewhere slightly south of that and capping it off in that neighborhood.  And, that's assuming he continues to play at a high level.

The only way I deviate from that is if he carries the team to the Super Bowl in the next year or two.  In that case, he gets a blank check.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Hercules50

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 13:42 »

I agree with AJ.

I hope the management will be able to convince Ben that the team's success will make him far richer than any contract the Steelers can give him, in the long run.

Which is to say, the more modest a contract Ben will accept, the more the team could spend elsewhere, obviously. If Ben wins Super Bowls on a kick-ass team, I guarantee you he will be able to make more in endorsements that whatever the Steelers pay him.

If, on the other hand, the team has to rob him of linemen and receivers or defensive studs because of his deal, his production will suffer as a result of it.

But it's in Ben's court. He can point to escalating salary caps and Bulger's deal and make a persuasive case for a contract 15 to 20 per cent larger than Bulger's.  
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2007 at 23:12 »

As I mentioned on another board, if I'm Pittsburgh, I don't use guys like Romo, Bulger or Palmer as models.  I point to a multiple Super Bowl winner in Brady.

6YR/60MIL with a subsequent restructure (I think) to allow them to bring in more guys.

For me, my starting point would be somewhere slightly south of that and capping it off in that neighborhood.  And, that's assuming he continues to play at a high level.

The only way I deviate from that is if he carries the team to the Super Bowl in the next year or two.  In that case, he gets a blank check.
I concur.  It's about the only thing that makes sense from both standpoints.

I also agree with Finny, that the Rooneys have known this was coming since XL.  They've been in this game for a while, and I think they know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em, to quote Kenny Rogers (the singer, not the pitcher).
See Polamalu, Porter and, most likely, Faneca.

I'm still the one with the boobs.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 12:28 »

BTW, just noticed something regarding Brady's deal.  As most already know, he restructured this year to help the Patty's get under the cap and allow them to sign guys like Moss, Welker, et al.  Stemming from that move, his cap hit for next year is somewhere in the 15 million (!!!) range; almost double what it is this year.

My ultra reliable inside source has assured me that he won't be cut after this year so the dude is either going to have to restructure (again...doubt it) or sign an extension.  It will be very, very interesting to see if he signs another "cap friendly" type contract when an average QB like Bulger and relative newcomer (although pretty good) like Romo are getting huge bucks with almost half their deals in guaranteed money.  

Hardware or hard cash?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 12:39 »

Hardware or hard cash?

He's got his hardware.  I figure he'll go for the cash now.  He's peaking as a player, and he'll have all the leverage.  The next contract he signs will be his best opportunity for the big payday.

If he resigns with the Pats and doesn't significantly beat the Bulger/Romo contract, I'll believe he's in it for the rings.  Not that 11-12 million per is exactly playing for free, but it's less than what he could make.
padgfrombf

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2007 at 21:59 »

The other thing with Brady is that he could potentially get a chunk of endorsement money as well.  Maybe not in Peyton Manning class, but enough to provide a discount to the Pats.

Dunno about Roethlisberger.  It sounds funny, but he might be in a position to ask the Rooneys about how this Steelers team plan to catch up with the Colts and Pats.  Otherwise, what prevents him from going to the Bears, Vikes, or TB and immediately raising them to contender status?  For some reason, there is suddenly a lot of bad quarterbacking in this league and it could be a buyer's market.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2007 at 22:00 by padgfrombf » Logged
Hercules50

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 08:03 »

The other thing with Brady is that he could potentially get a chunk of endorsement money as well.  Maybe not in Peyton Manning class, but enough to provide a discount to the Pats.

Dunno about Roethlisberger.  It sounds funny, but he might be in a position to ask the Rooneys about how this Steelers team plan to catch up with the Colts and Pats.  Otherwise, what prevents him from going to the Bears, Vikes, or TB and immediately raising them to contender status?  For some reason, there is suddenly a lot of bad quarterbacking in this league and it could be a buyer's market.
True, except that the Steelers will have him over a barrell in any negotiation that starts long before the current deal expires. What's he gonna do, play two more full seasons, with all the risk to injury, under his current deal, so he can sign with the Vikings? Ben will get nowhere near free agency.

I also think that, if you're not on the Colts or Pats, the Steelers is where you'd want to be.

I understand your point, though, that Ben has a lot of leverage.

Basically, I think that if Ben is smart he'll understand that his personal future will be enriched more by playing on one team that is kick-butt than by getting a slightly bigger deal now and playing on crappy teams.

Same with Brady -- if he goes on to win more Super Bowls than any other QB, that'll be worth more in terms of a lifetime of being the face of NFL history, than an extra $10 million he'd quibble for now, which might be enough to hurt his team in the short run.
padgfrombf

« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2007 at 11:57 »

Point noted, Hercules, about the two year window.

Even my comment about the Pats and Colts should be taken only in context of a  negotiation for this year's extension.  In the NFL, two years out is a long, long time.

Heck, two months is a long horizon.  It's close enough to Halloween - Drew Bledsoe's ghost could suddenly resurface with the Bears, get hot, and whiz them right through the NFC and into the SB.  It's doubtful, but in a weak conference, anything can happen.  Even Vinny Greenballs could start for someone....oh....
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: