Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 08:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Televisions  (Read 3534 times)
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Jun 14, 2008 at 11:27 »

I'm thinking about getting the new 46" Sony Bravia W LCD. Its got the 120hz refresh rate. Anybody uprgraded from the 60hz yet? Does it make that much difference?... Also thinking about a Blu-ray player, but wondering if the new Sony unit is really 200 bucks better than the Samsung and the cheaper, older Sony. I have a PS3 and an upconverter now, but the PS3 is kind of pain to work as a Blu-ray player. Anyone have thoughts on Blu-ray players?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Jun 15, 2008 at 09:51 »

Still researching all this.  Virg, I may go with the 40-42" size after all simply because the space where we'll be putting the LCD will be situated between two windows.  We COULD go up to 46" or so, but that would basically have the thing jammed right up to the window frames.  The 40-42" may win simply based on aesthetics and the fact that, while the screen size may not be optimal for some, it will be fine for us, and as stated an improvement.

Right now I'm trying to figure out how much difference I can tell between 8 ms. and 6 ms. ad 4 ms. refresh rates; 25,000:1, 50,000:1 and 100,000:1 dynamic contrasts; etc.  At a certain point, am I paying for specs or someting I can actually see?  So the next step will be to go to some Best Buys, etc., and see the difference now that I know what the specs are about.

Does anyone have a PS3 they use for DVD/Blu-Ray viewing?  I'm thinking that if I want to foray into Blu-Ray, the PS3 is about the same damned price as most Blu-Ray players anyway.  I'm not much into games, but a free game device, why the fuck not?

My problem is that I'd like to have that, but I'd also like to get a DVD burner so I can just start burning Steeler games and favorite movies and shows to free Tivo space, and for future viewing... But then getting a DVD player/recorder PLUS the Blu-Ray is a bit redundant in my book.

Much to consider.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Jun 15, 2008 at 11:37 »

Does anyone have a PS3 they use for DVD/Blu-Ray viewing?  I'm thinking that if I want to foray into Blu-Ray, the PS3 is about the same damned price as most Blu-Ray players anyway.  I'm not much into games, but a free game device, why the fuck not?

My problem is that I'd like to have that, but I'd also like to get a DVD burner so I can just start burning Steeler games and favorite movies and shows to free Tivo space, and for future viewing... But then getting a DVD player/recorder PLUS the Blu-Ray is a bit redundant in my book.

Much to consider.
Ya, I use a PS3 for Blu-ray. It uploads faster than stand alone players, but you use the game controller as a remote. Its wireless but a bit of fuckery as well... I have a 42" LG 1080i 60hz right now, and I think I'm going to go to a 46" 1080p 120hz. Probably the Sony W Bravia.

Finny, I would consider a Sony(duly noted you don't like Sony) DVD Direct. Its a small stand alone that you can plug a camcorder, camera, or a DVR into and it makes DVD's. I have a one and it works great.

I'm still on the fence about getting a different Blu-ray player.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Jun 15, 2008 at 17:16 »

Went to BB today and I have to say that the two models I liked best by the specs -- the Samsung series 6 40" and the Sony Bravia V-Series 40" -- both looked fucking awesome.  Marched off 15' for max distance home viewing, and honestly I think it'll be fine.  I understand the argument to go bigger, but with our space constraints, I think we're good.  I'd rather do a smaller, better than a larger last year model with slower refresh, lower contrast, etc., for the same price.

Mrs. F. is balking.  Quote: "I don't want to spend that much on a TV..."  Although Amazon is cheaper.  

One gambit might be to wait on the Blu-Ray until it comes down, and possibly replace the bedroom set later, too.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #24 on: Jun 16, 2008 at 06:52 »

You don't have to use the controller as the remote for the PS3 to view Blu Ray discs. They now have a $20 DVD remote made for the PS3. It uses Bluetooth, and does work well.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2008 at 06:53 by vinman3 » Logged

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2008 at 08:11 »

Went to BB today and I have to say that the two models I liked best by the specs -- the Samsung series 6 40" and the Sony Bravia V-Series 40" -- both looked fucking awesome.  Marched off 15' for max distance home viewing, and honestly I think it'll be fine.  I understand the argument to go bigger, but with our space constraints, I think we're good.  I'd rather do a smaller, better than a larger last year model with slower refresh, lower contrast, etc., for the same price.

Mrs. F. is balking.  Quote: "I don't want to spend that much on a TV..."  Although Amazon is cheaper.  

One gambit might be to wait on the Blu-Ray until it comes down, and possibly replace the bedroom set later, too.
When the general public starts upgrading to these types of TV's I think Mrs. F's reaction is pretty standard.  The days of walking into a store, looking at a couple of TV's and walking out of there $500 lighter in the wallet are over.

Tell her she isn't paying that much just for a TV.  Tell her she is upgradiong from a TV to a home theatre experience.  Mrs. BV doesn't realize when some things are HD or SD, which tells you her level of interest, but she digs watching movies on the upconverting DVD player.  Prime time TV, sportig events, and old movies in HD are just awesome.  I watched an old movie over the weekend, American Flyer (Kevin Costner and his brothere enter a bike race) and it was like watching a completely different movie, compared to the grainy SD 1983 version.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Jun 18, 2008 at 12:44 »

Currently do not have high def but might as well do it now.  

So, looking to:

Replace 32" set in LR with ~46-47" HD LCD 1080p.
Replace 27" set in BR with ~27-30" LCD 1080p, probably HD.
Upgrade to HD DVD.
Upgrade DVR to HD from DirecTV.

Welcome to the club.  

Life will never be the same.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: