Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 06:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonight is absolutely HUGE  (Read 1323 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Nov 05, 2007 at 09:37 »

We're about to see if the 2007 version of the Steelers can stand up to the pressure; or will they cave when the heat is on?  This game is big enough, but Cleveland's win makes this one almost as big as the Colts/Patriots.  Why?  The Clowns are suddenly 5-3.  Lose tonight and we're in a 3-way tie for the division.  Win and we suddenly have a big advantage--one game up, but a better division record and a chance to put the screws to the Browns next Sunday.  Also, we'll still be in the running for a first-round bye and home playoff opener.

I'm actually looking forward to the Browns game next Sunday, moreso than usual.  This promises to be the most meaningful matchup between the two teams since the 2002 playoffs.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 10:33 »

So you are saying the rest of the nation is as interested in this game as they were the Colts Pats game yesterday?  Not so sure about that.

This is a huge game for the Steelers though.  Balty would be 0-3 in the division, and we'd be in the driver seat.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 10:36 »

Yep, a win tonight and Sunday and we can put a hammerlock on the division - two game lead plus tiebreakers on both, and a chance to put together a nice winning streak going into December.  

Cleveland's got some highly winnable games left on their schedule.  I want them way back in the rear view mirror after Sunday.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 11:23 »

This game is doubly important to me as it will determine whether I have to listen to shit for the rest of the season or just be able to enjoy the rest of the season quietly.  

The standings are important but there is alot of football left to be played.  A win does make it a lot easier to map out the rest of the season.  

PUMA
Hercules50

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 11:29 »

Yep, a win tonight and Sunday and we can put a hammerlock on the division - two game lead plus tiebreakers on both, and a chance to put together a nice winning streak going into December.  

Cleveland's got some highly winnable games left on their schedule.  I want them way back in the rear view mirror after Sunday.
Exactly.

The next two weeks will determine whether it's a dogfight to the bitter end or whether we coast to the division title.

Given the AFC South standings, it's entirely possible that only the division winner from the AFC North makes the playoffs.

Winning the next two games could mean the difference between being the #3 (and hell, just possibly, the #2 seed, given our schedule) or missing the playoffs entirely.

Oddly, I don't feel nervous about it, because I think that if we can't win two games at home against B-more and Cleveland, we don't deserve the postseason.  
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 11:53 »

Knowing this team, they'll lay an egg tonight- as they have done with every other opportunity to put some serious distance between them and the pack.
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 11:42 »

Knowing this team, they'll lay an egg tonight- as they have done with every other opportunity to put some serious distance between them and the pack.
And that, my friend, is exactly why I have HUGE concerns about tonight.

PUMA
Hercules50

« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 11:59 »

I know what you mean.

I'm hoping that our two losses were road games out west against teams that were desperate at the time. But yet those losses wouldn't have happened to New England.

Not to mention we didn't benefit from luck -- if we were playing Denver this week, we'd be going against Patrick Ramsey instead of Cutler. And the Cardinals -- I don't even know who's starting for them right now.

Overall, I see this as a bit of a transitional year. I think we're rebounding from the bad habits that made last year so bad, but it just seems like we're one more offseason away from putting together a serious contender.

This team is still a mystery to me, the offense in particular, which seems to be feast or famine. We have a nice record, but let's face it, we haven't beaten any team that's better than average, if that. (And this goes back to last year, where we put togehter a 6-2 finish beating Tampa, Carolina, Cleveland...). I think the best team we played is Buffalo, considering the Browns spotted us an edge by playing Frye.

Tonight's game will tell us a lot. If we're a contender, we SMOKE Baltimore tonight. If we're just a solid-enough team to beat the weak sisters but are headed for an early playoff exit, we grind out a close one. If we lose....the season might not be technically over but I'll begin watching our games with an eye to who might develop for next year's team.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 13:24 »

So you are saying the rest of the nation is as interested in this game as they were the Colts Pats game yesterday? Not so sure about that.

Not in the sense of great national interest.  Although the AFC North has the most heated/hated rivals in the NFL (see Original Content tomorrow), it doesn't draw the national interest.  I'm talking more in the grand scheme of the football world.  In that sense, it has just as much significance to the Steelers and Ravens as it does to the Colts and Pats.  Just one guy's opinion.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 14:00 »

There's a game on tonight?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 14:11 »

Part of the reason I think this game is huge is because, if we can win, we stand a very good chance at going into the New England game at 10-2.

After the Ravens, we have Cleveland, NY Jets, Miami, and Cincy.  Those last 3 teams have 4 combined wins.

I know the schedule ends up having its share of games that we envision as a win, and the Steelers end up losing, or we think they'll lose, and they end up pulling out...but they should be favored in all of those games, and should be able to sweep the lot.

While I agree that the Steelers haven't had that one "marquee" win yet, this season is very much shaping up like 2005: everyone's focus is on the Colts and Patriots, allowing the Steelers to cruise along relatively unnoticed in the background.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
mrblack66
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 15:12 »

concerned about the big  rain coming may favor the Ravens.

hope Im wrong, because this is a must win.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2007 at 23:34 »

Prophetic thread title.  They did come up HUGE tonight.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2007 at 04:13 »

We have a nice record, but let's face it, we haven't beaten any team that's better than average, if that. (And this goes back to last year, where we put togehter a 6-2 finish beating Tampa, Carolina, Cleveland...). I think the best team we played is Buffalo, considering the Browns spotted us an edge by playing Frye.

I think it doesnt matter what type of team you play, its how you play them.  back in 05 we finished up with Min, Clev, and Det.  all crap teams that year, but the element was we smoked all three of those teams leading into the playoffs.

we were hot and on fire and not one team was ready for the Pittsburgh onslaught in the playoffs...especially the colts and Broncos.

Its not like we got blown out by the cards or broncos...in fact, coming back the way we did in both contests really shows this team has some great character and a never quit attitude.

If we got blown out by the cards like we did to the ratties last night, then we could say, hey, maybe our record isnt a good indicator of our teams abilities.

#1 defense in the league goes a long way and pretty much makes us a contender already.  in all reality, this team will go as far as Ben will take it.  Sure the defense is lights out, but if Ben is able to keep his head on straight, then the sky is the limit.

It was a huge game allright...really showed me the coaching staff is willing to take and exploit what a defense is giving them.  it also helped we have FUBARd the once mighty raven Defense and retaining our divisional lead.
« Last Edit: Nov 06, 2007 at 04:14 by jackSplat58 » Logged

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Hercules50

« Reply #14 on: Nov 06, 2007 at 07:12 »

We have a nice record, but let's face it, we haven't beaten any team that's better than average, if that. (And this goes back to last year, where we put togehter a 6-2 finish beating Tampa, Carolina, Cleveland...). I think the best team we played is Buffalo, considering the Browns spotted us an edge by playing Frye.

I think it doesnt matter what type of team you play, its how you play them.  back in 05 we finished up with Min, Clev, and Det.  all crap teams that year, but the element was we smoked all three of those teams leading into the playoffs.

You're right.

Sometimes I'll discount a team based on their schedule (not just the Steelers) but I have to remind myself, too, that this is the NFL, and any team you beat is a tough win.

Good point and well said.  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: