Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 19, 2014 at 14:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An ongoing concern  (Read 612 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Nov 07, 2007 at 09:24 »

I am still bothered by the fact that Ben won't check out of a play and throw the hot route when a team blitzes.  I understand that he believes in his ability to escape the rush and make plays, but it's going to bite you in the butt at some point (a la 1st half vs. Denver).  I loved how he handled things in the 2nd half against the Broncos, and I wish he'd do that more often.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 10:10 »

I am still bothered by the fact that Ben won't check out of a play and throw the hot route when a team blitzes.  I understand that he believes in his ability to escape the rush and make plays, but it's going to bite you in the butt at some point (a la 1st half vs. Denver).  I loved how he handled things in the 2nd half against the Broncos, and I wish he'd do that more often.
Ben took a couple of check downs in Monday's game.  I remember two quick passes to wide receivers: one time the route got jumped and it went for no gain (I thought of WiH having conniptions) and the other picked up about 7 IIRC.  I don't fault him for not using more: when you're averaging something like 20 yards per touchdown pass, why not continue to go down field?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 10:33 »

when you're averaging something like 20 yards per touchdown pass, why not continue to go down field?

Because I don't want him getting nailed and/or throwing picks.  Granted, he's huge outside the pocket and making the big play.  But if teams are looking for that, there must be plenty of stuff open underneath.  You're going to hit a point somewhere that you have to take what the D is giving rather than looking for something big.  I just hope he's going to be willing to do that.

Plus, I don't have a ton of confidence in our oline to keep the blitz off Ben.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 14:58 »

one time the route got jumped and it went for no gain (I thought of WiH having conniptions) and the other picked up about 7 IIRC.
I thought of WiH as well on that play.  I think the one that got jammed would have been served alot better had it involved some motion on the slot guys part.  the three WRs were all lined up on the same side and the inside screen went directly into the Ratty Defense.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
sage
Kickin the Bengals Ass since 1933
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2007 at 15:13 »

Plus, I don't have a ton of confidence in our oline to keep the blitz off Ben.
which is my biggest concern! that TD to heat, Mahan let Pryce right on by. lucky for us his hand was in a cast and it was raining! but the OL still looks like a sieve at times!

Go Steelers
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: