Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 23:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sportsradio  (Read 769 times)
TwistedLemon

« on: Nov 08, 2007 at 10:00 »

Was listening on the way to work (640 WDAE Tampa).  Alot of talk has been about the Patriots......Spygate, how to beat them, etc.......

A caller was on talking about Pitt's ability to beat them by controlling the clock with a balanced attack thereby keeping Brady and Co. off of the field, and a punishing Defense that is number one in the league in points allowed, not to mention not allowing a 100 yd rusher since 'nam.

Host replied that the Steeler offence can definately do their part, but the D is the problem as they do not have the talent to keep close to the Pat O.

Followed up with his belief that Pit is the 3rd best team in the league.

A little ahead of self since we dont play for a few weeks, but the question of the ability of our D amazed me.  I figured the question would be more about our O-line ability.

"My reality check bounced"
Hercules50

« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 10:06 »

I think it's fair to question any defense's ability to contain the Patriots, and while I think we're playing great defense, I am not convinced we match up well against New England. I think we are going to find it challenging to put pressure on Brady AND cover those receivers. We're going to have to pick one and hope for the best, I think.

But the real problem I have with the caller's gameplan is this: we're not really a ball-control offense. We're a big-play offense. I love Willie, but the running game doesn't generate those consistent 3-to-6 yard runs. And while Ben is playing out of his mind, but he's not a dink and dunker.

Furthermore, that Patriot defense is built to take advantage of ball-control teams. It's just hard to put together 12 plays on them without making a mistake somewhere.

I think we can beat the Patriots, but I think it'll have to be a bit of a shootout. Our offense can score on those guys, as I am convinced that the New England defense is a bit of a fraud.
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2007 at 10:07 by Hercules50 » Logged
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 16:18 »

I agree with you Herc, on almost all points.

One thing I would add -- I would like to believe, particularly after the MNF showing, that we might outphysical the Patriots. On  both offense AND defense.

I'm curious if we might be able to knock Moss in the mouth once or twice, if he might start to short arm some things. My hope, anyway.

And on defense, I'm convinced that the Patriots are getting old.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Hercules50

« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 16:46 »

Very good point -- we will have to play as violent a game as possible, the Pats are old, and I think that Bruschi, Vrabel, and Seau, for all their smarts, could be brutally thumped, not to mention outrun.

We have got to make those guys both absorb punishment, and run around a lot. Lots of sweeps. Make them run end to end. Fast tempo, fast huddles. It could pay off in the fourth quarter, big time.

And on defense, absoluty crush Moss, Stallworth, and Welker at every opportunity. In other words, tell Anthony Smith to get on the field and go fucking psycho on those guys.  
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2007 at 17:52 »

I'm not concerned with New England.

Steelers will whup that ass.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
altimusprime
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2007 at 12:17 »

Brady will pick apart our secondary if given even a little time. Our secondary has had a couple of stellar games but remains quite vulnerable.

Then again, if we hit them in the mouth hard enough, we have a shot. If we can pressure Brady and hit him around, he will crack. He isn't like Ben. He's a pussy. If pressured enough, he becomes a quivering cunt.

Problem is, I'm fairly certain our mediocre O-line will not protect Ben enough to beat the Pats.

The Pats are great at exploiting weaknesses. They will manipulate our mediocre O-line and our secondary.

We definitely have a shot. But the fact we play them in the regular season helps them if we meet in the playoffs. Belicheat with film on us? What an advantage to them. He is the master, as much as I hate him. Give him some film on us, he will exploit us to death.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: