Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 22, 2014 at 20:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Play Calling  (Read 2496 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« on: Nov 11, 2007 at 19:57 »

What do you think of the run play on 3rd down on the last Steeler possession?

I have to agree with Phil Simms that you have to go for the 1st down.  Be agressive and put the game away.  Steeler tradition is what they ended up doing, and if not for the penalty on the Browns, we probably lose that game.

If the 3rd down pass goes incomplete, they have more time on the clock, but who knows.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:02 »

Yeah, I hear your point.  I agreed with the call at the time and I still do.  The D was surging and I just thought it would take a miracle for the Browns to score.

As it turns out, they never even got in field goal range.

*snicker*

A shabby Charlie Brown.
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:04 »

What do you think of the run play on 3rd down on the last Steeler possession?

I have to agree with Phil Simms that you have to go for the 1st down.  Be agressive and put the game away.  Steeler tradition is what they ended up doing, and if not for the penalty on the Browns, we probably lose that game.

If the 3rd down pass goes incomplete, they have more time on the clock, but who knows.
I would've like a few more runs to the right to mix it up.  Maybe a sweep or 2?  Just to mix it up anyway.

We won the game.  Ben looks great.

Blood pressure went up on the Holmes reverse in the 1st.

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:04 »

Actually, they DID get into field goal range. Thank god this was on a wet Heinz Field. If this was on a dry field, or in good weather, I'm afraid that the Stains make that kick.

We should've passed on that 3rd.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:26 »

I had more of a problem with the reverse pass on 3rd and one, and the continual call of play-action to look for the deep ball on 2nd down.  If you're going to do that, do it on 1st down; or better yet, just don't do it at all.  Clearly the Browns had our number on that and it wasn't going to work.  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:31 »

It looked like Holmes was open, several times, for a TD but the O-line didn't hold up on any of those plays.

What a freakin catch by Ward on that ball that was3 feet behind him.  Miller with a huge TD (notice I didn't say catch).  That was a sweet snag on what looked to be a rocket from Roethlisberger.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:33 »

Actually, they DID get into field goal range.
Looked to me like the kick was on target, but fell 5 yards short.  That would mean they were out of range, no?

Thank god this was on a wet Heinz Field. If this was on a dry field, or in good weather, I'm afraid that the Stains make that kick.

Wouldn't you expect your coach to factor this into his decision making process?  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 21:36 »

I was getting pretty tired of the run to the left side for one yard on every first down. I would have preferred more passes early in the game, and by passes, I mean passes with Ben...not Holmes or Parker. I thought Mike Mularkey or Ken Whisnehunt was back in the saddle today.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

give'emthaboot
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 21:49 »

correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt the Steelers call a passing play on that third down, and Ben took a sack rather than forcing it in there or having the clock stop with an incomplete pass?

i could have sworn the playcall was Ben in shotgun, he dropped back and then stepped up and was sacked.  it was a "safe" pass play, either it was going to be a quick out, or Ben was going to take the sack, but i do believe a pass play was called.

again, i could be wrong, but thats what i remember.

'Oh, my, James Harrison is not going to the White House, he must be a devil worshiper!'
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 21:52 »

correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt the Steelers call a passing play on that third down, and Ben took a sack rather than forcing it in there or having the clock stop with an incomplete pass?

i could have sworn the playcall was Ben in shotgun, he dropped back and then stepped up and was sacked.  it was a "safe" pass play, either it was going to be a quick out, or Ben was going to take the sack, but i do believe a pass play was called.

again, i could be wrong, but thats what i remember.
You're right on the formation, but it looked to me like a designed QB draw.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: