Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 20, 2014 at 17:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Play Calling  (Read 2307 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 11:01 »

I understand the desire to put the game away with a first down, but I think I have to agree that considering the field position and the way the defense had been playing, especially in the second half, it was a very reasonable play.  You can label it the "safe" play if you want, but too many things can go wrong on a pass that can hurt you.  

Scenarios where I would consider passing:

1.  3rd and less than 5.
2.  Better field position (outside the 30).
3.  Leading by any score other than 3.  That sounds a little strange, but my reasoning is that if you're leading by less than 3, obviously a FG beats you, so you don't want to give them the ball back; if you're leading by more than 3, the opponent must have a TD, so you have more wiggle room if you don't get the first and stop the clock.  If you're ahead by 3, teams tend to get conservative in FG range and don't go aggressively for the TD and outright win, so the extra time won't hurt you as much.

If one or more of these situations are in play, I may go for it.  None of those applied yesterday, so I don't have aproblem with going conservative and running the clock.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 11:37 »

I understand the desire to put the game away with a first down, but I think I have to agree that considering the field position and the way the defense had been playing, especially in the second half, it was a very reasonable play.  You can label it the "safe" play if you want, but too many things can go wrong on a pass that can hurt you.  

Scenarios where I would consider passing:

1.  3rd and less than 5.
2.  Better field position (outside the 30).
3.  Leading by any score other than 3.  That sounds a little strange, but my reasoning is that if you're leading by less than 3, obviously a FG beats you, so you don't want to give them the ball back; if you're leading by more than 3, the opponent must have a TD, so you have more wiggle room if you don't get the first and stop the clock.  If you're ahead by 3, teams tend to get conservative in FG range and don't go aggressively for the TD and outright win, so the extra time won't hurt you as much.

If one or more of these situations are in play, I may go for it.  None of those applied yesterday, so I don't have aproblem with going conservative and running the clock.
 :sheep2:  
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 14:04 »

I don't understand the criticism here of the play calling; seems it's all built around a "but if it hadn't worked..." speculation.  It did work, the clock wound down before they get into field goal range on a windy, wet day facing the river.  All of this must have been a factor in Tomlin's decision.  

The play calling was correct.  How do we know it was correct?  It worked; we won.

Q.E.D.
« Last Edit: Nov 12, 2007 at 14:05 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 14:58 »

I think msdmnr spells out the if-thens well, but I respectfully disagree with Penso's It worked ergo it was the right call.  Down three, perhaps you follow msdmnr's playcard and don't play a high risk set of calls, but the safe-safe-safe-punt doesn't ensure Penso's win.  In fact, a penalty ensured that; without the penalty, Dawkins is in range and accurate.  We didn't create our fate with that playcalling, we allowed the Brownies to dictate their own fate, which they stupidly crapped away with the penalty.  To say it was the right set of calls ignores that the outcome was far from clear, and that against a more disciplined team the whole comback is for naught.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50

« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 15:01 »

To say it was the right set of calls ignores that the outcome was far from clear, and that against a more disciplined team the whole comback is for naught.
True, but that's the point. We weren't playing a more competent team -- we were playing a team that hadn't had a first down up to that point in the entire half.

Moreover, the score is critical -- if we were up by only 2, there's no question we would have had to more aggressively pursue a first down.

Anyway, I agree with msdmnr's spelling out of the strategy. I'd add one thing -- running doesn't mean giving up. It's possible we could have picked up the first down running. Maybe it's a matter of not calling the right running plays in particular.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 17:37 »

I think msdmnr spells out the if-thens well, but I respectfully disagree with Penso's It worked ergo it was the right call.  Down three, perhaps you follow msdmnr's playcard and don't play a high risk set of calls, but the safe-safe-safe-punt doesn't ensure Penso's win.  In fact, a penalty ensured that; without the penalty, Dawkins is in range and accurate.  We didn't create our fate with that playcalling, we allowed the Brownies to dictate their own fate, which they stupidly crapped away with the penalty.  To say it was the right set of calls ignores that the outcome was far from clear, and that against a more disciplined team the whole comback is for naught.
Well, we'll have to disrespectively disagree irregardless of what our agreeing should of been.

It still seems to me that people focus on the hypothetical ("What if we had passed for a first?  What if they don't get penalized?") rather than the facts that were facing Tomlin at the time.  Field position and condition, time on the clock, weather and the fact that they didn't have a first down in the second half, or timeouts remaining.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 18:44 »

IT'S NOT FARE!!!  BA AND TOMLINS ARE HUMAN BEANS!!! *SOB*  BUT YOU HATE THEMS AND HATE THEMS AND YOU CAN'T JUST NOT HATE THEM!!!  WHY CAN'T WE JUST BE IN AGREEANCE?!  JUST LET'S ALLL BEE IN AGREEANCE!!A1!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #27 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 21:10 »

i say when in doubt, throw it to Miller.

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 22:30 »

From the PG..

There were other problems as well. The Steelers had only 10 players on the field when the Browns quickly punted late in the fourth quarter, forcing Harrison to run on the field at the last minute. That caused Rossum, who said he was counting players, to refuse a fair catch and let the ball roll to the Steelers' 11

definitley BS on Rossums part...even if there were only 10 peeps on the field, how freaking long does it take to 10?  and If i recall, the punt was near the sideline anyway, regardless of the amount of players on the field.  You field that fucker and step out of bounds.

anyway, I think it was the right playcalling considering where the steelers were on the field.  im sure there would be a few unhappy campers in here had BA called a pass play that either went intercepted for a pick six.  or an incomplete that stopped the clock and gave those boners more time to work with.  Besides, the only type of pass play that would have been acceptable or available was  a deep steaker to towards the sidelines.  i highly doubt any inside pass to heat or some other TE would have worked with 10 stainers crowding the FD box

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 22:34 »

Besides, the only type of pass play that would have been acceptable or available was a deep steaker to towards the sidelines.

Deep steaker?  I hardly know her!

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: