Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 17:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elite company  (Read 497 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:13 »

Elite company

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
November 11, 2007

PITTSBURGH

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 20:24 »

As mentioned elsewhere, I don't see Ben up there with Brady and Peyton but I do think he's surpassed a guy, amongst others, like Carson Palmer.  

Despite what a lot here probably think about Palmer, had you asked me two years ago, I would have said Palmer was the better QB.  Ben, while good, didn't have the ability to read the field and react as he does now.

He seems smarter.  Beyond the high TD, YPA, and QB rating, Ben is doing better with getting rid of the football, rather than force it in where he has no business doing so.  That's not to say he never does it, but in the past couple of games, Ben seems to have decided it better to throw it away than to force it to Heat or Ward.  

He's playing great football.  And finally the moniker of "game manager" can't apply as he's either getting out to a big lead early and thereby changing over to the running game early in the 2nd half or he's leading the team back.  Ben runs the offense now, rather than just being a cog in the wheel.  

All the while, Parker still is towards the top of the AFC/NFL in rushing.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2007 at 23:15 »

He seems smarter.  Beyond the high TD, YPA, and QB rating, Ben is doing better with getting rid of the football, rather than force it in where he has no business doing so.  That's not to say he never does it, but in the past couple of games, Ben seems to have decided it better to throw it away than to force it to Heat or Ward.
His play on the field and lack of shitty INTs clearly shows that he is making better decisions and dumping it off to his outlet guy.  Even though he doesnt do it enough in my book, I have noticed an increase in the number of outlet passes the past few weeks.  

he still holds the ball longer than I would like.  taking sacks against one of the crapiest pass rushes in the league such as Cleveland is one thing.  Taking uncalled for sacks against better teams in the playoffs ,like pastries, will not get it done.

Maybe BA should start calling some play action passing that doesnt involve a 7 step drop?  you now have a burner on the outside in Holmes...have some faith the dude will get open and throw it where he will be in stride.  worst case scnerio...an incomplete pass

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 07:27 »

While at work the other day, ICFan and I were talking about Ben. He made a good point which I thought I would post here. I said, and have have said here, that Ben reminds me of Favre. He felt (I know Preach thinks the same), Ben and his career reminds him of Elway. Ben isn't noticed as much because of Beardy and Manning. In a similar way that Elway was somewhat overshadowed by Mariino and Montana. Interesting thought.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Hercules50

« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2007 at 07:40 »

Not to get ahead of ourselves .... and I hope the team is focused on beating, who-- the Jets?--next week...

....and not that we don't have weaknesses or that we're not capable of losing to the Denvers of the world....

but we are in position to take the #2 seed.

And, if someone else beats the Pats along the way, we'd control our own destiny regarding the #1 seed.

Just sayin'.

(have to say this now, as this may not last long.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: