Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 19:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OL issues  (Read 1134 times)
nate07
N00b

« on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:26 »

The O-Line drove me absolutely crazy during tonites game. They gave up sacks in the worst possible senereos. They never opened any holes for the running game either. Maybe Mangini just had the right sceme, but I think the Line just stunk tonite.
OhioU_Stlrs_Fan

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:41 »

ok who else thinks the O-Line does not need to be paid for this game? i mean and legally get away with it.

Work entails doing something, thus our line obvi. did nothing. No Work = No Paycheck. in fact our whole O-Line should be arrested on fraud charges, for impersonating an O-Lineman

I Heart The Steelers.

Movie On Repeat (1) - Death Race
Movie On Repeat (2) -Max Payne None
Song On Repeat (1)- Jay Z - Brooklyn We Go Hard
Song On Repeat (2)-Here We Go, Duh its Playoff Time!
Book i cant put down -Dean Koontz - Shadowfires
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:46 »

It's ashame that Simmons was extended this off-season.  Not that he's the worst culprit but he doesn't help or improve things.

And if Faneca is our best OL, we're in trouble heading forward  

OL stinks.

2008 draft, R1-R3, OL

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:54 »

OL stinks.

2008 draft, R1-R3, OL
make that OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, OL, WR...might as well wait until the last round to draft a WR...he cant do any worse than the #3 we have already.  do we even have a #3?

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:57 »

OL stinks.

2008 draft, R1-R3, OL
and throw around some money.. Faneca is like a 5 mil hit to the salary cap that won't be there, and the cap is going to increase as well. Not sure who's available next year in FA, but they should make an effort to land a top quality lineman. And I'm not talking about an underwhelming Mahan like signing. The OL is the achilles heel of an otherwise pretty solid team. But without a decent OL there is no time to throw and no room to run, therfore no O. They got the lettuce, tomato ,and onion with a little honey djion mustand , they just need to get the meat of the sandwich. And without the meat, there is no sandwich............. ...............unless your a vegetarian of course....
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:53 »

Smith - Faneca - Simmons - Kemo - Starks

That's my O-Line moving forward.  Mahan is a joke in the middle of that line, and it's sad given the long line of great Steeler centers.

Colon is a backup O-Lineman.  I think Starks would play like his hair was on fire, after sitting on the bench this whole time.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:55 »

ok who else thinks the O-Line does not need to be paid for this game? i mean and legally get away with it.

Work entails doing something, thus our line obvi. did nothing. No Work = No Paycheck. in fact our whole O-Line should be arrested on fraud charges, for impersonating an O-Lineman
If it goes to trial, good luck finding 12 people in western PA who will find in favor of those overpaid assholes.

Of the seven sacks today, I put 2 of them on Ben for not getting rid of the ball.  The other 5 on them.

The Browns and Jets both nearly doubled their sack totals for the season in games against the Steelers.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 20:36 »

Man, I think the OL is a tough thing to fix mid season.  It is flawed, no doubt.  But it's hard to name the ways.  Where do you fix it?  If you go apeshit crazy and draft 4 OL next year, that's not gonna get it done.  They need to draft some OL, no doubt, but they need to coach up of some the talent they have and cut and run with others.  

This team has other flaws than the OL, though.
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2007 at 21:06 by jonzr » Logged

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 09:12 »

I don't have any suggested lineup.  The Jets DL and LBs are nothing special, and they made us look like Gir Scouts.  Marvel was beat, thoroughly.  The one sack, he just waved a guy past.  Just patted him and went forward looking for, well, no one.  Disgusting.  There were any number of times FWP was stopped in the backfield because Marvel couldn't stop a kitten from getting to a bowl of milk.  Faneca looked confused a bunch of times, and the one time Simms was saying how he got beat it was because he had to try to chip Mahan's rusher after Mahan got laid out.  In fact, Mahan got laid out quite a bit.  Mahan flat out sucks.  Colon was sloppy, Starks was sloppy, and both TEs were atrocious.  Miller was just awful, even worse than Spaeth.  

The one guy didn't specifically see getting beat was Simmons, but I probably just wasn't looking hard enough.

Zeirlein needs to go and the entire line overhauled.  We can't run the ball anywhere, not inside, not outside.  Games where we do run, it's because we've waited out defenses and gotten them tired, or because we've got them committed to the pass.  We can't assert our will.  We can't play our game.

There is just no bright side, at all.  I've been down on these guys for a couple of years, and they've finally shat down their own throats with that game.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 09:44 »

All right, if we draft Chris Williams and Jeff Otah R1 and R2, I'd make the '08 line this:

LT - Williams
LG - Colon
C - Simmons
RG - Starks
RT - Otah

Rookie bookends, beef at guard.  Draft some OT depth and a C to groom.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: