Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 03:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WORST Call of the Season So Far...  (Read 1567 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:31 »

OT: 3rd and 14 from inside their own 20, and Arians runs a fucking draw?!?

Fuck gaining a few yards to get off a better punt.  This is overtime, it only takes one score to win, and the Jets' O had been having the way with the Steelers' D for the better part of the 4th quarter.  

On top of that, even if you gain 10 yards on that play, Sepulveda is still punting from inside the 20, meaning the Jets still get the ball at their own 40 at worse.

Fuck you, Bruce Arians.  That was a fucking horrible, give up call in a game that your team needed to win if they wanted any shot at a 1st round bye.

You.  Fucking.  Sucked.  Today.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:36 »

I just got back from the local bar, am drunk and don't mean to knee jerk....

but WiH is correct...worst call of the season............... .EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So you get 7 yards on a well executed run.  Sweet.  Awesome.  Racial.  Er Radical.

Made. No. Sense. What. So. Ever. You. Stupid. Mo. Fo.

Best Regards,

SCisinyomomspants

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:52 »

it was like he went directly into conservative mode with Holmes being on the sidelines.  Being conservative in OT will NEVER win you a ball game.

BA isnt the only one to get the big FUCK YOU for this game...there are several others just as deserving.

Big red...whats that, you want to stay with the steelers for life?  how bout you fucking block your man one on one without getting blown up?  Colon sucks just as much, he was the sole reason why we sucked balls in the first quarter...congrats dude you were able to ruin an entire quarter of football.  Carey Davis, just for not being Dan Kreider.  Nate Washington will be forever known as the new 'Dirt'...he's about as usefull as a pile of it.  Ike Taylor, Troy "overpersue" Polamalu, Aaron late hit smith???????  im sure there are many others im forgetting to congratulate...but whatever

...im getting drunk!

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
nate07
N00b

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:46 »

How about when it was 3rd n 2 late in the forth quarter when the steelers were trying to run the clock out and ariens calls a pass, ben is sacked and they lose like 5 yards. Wtf?? run the ball up the gut with davenport at least get positive yards out of the play!! i almost blew a fuse after that call...

another problem I ahve is when they constiently run parker up the middle for a 1-2 yard gain. it just wasn't working for them the whole game and ariens kept calling the same damn run. how about running the ball to the outside with willies speed!!!!
Winters in Holland

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:49 »

Good point.  My dad pointed out to me the other day that they never run Willie off-tackle.  I thought about it, and he's exactly right.

It's either right up the gut, or waaaaaaaaaay wide.

Arians is disappointing me more and more...

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 07:42 »

How about when it was 3rd n 2 late in the forth quarter when the steelers were trying to run the clock out and ariens calls a pass, ben is sacked and they lose like 5 yards. Wtf?? run the ball up the gut with davenport at least get positive yards out of the play!! i almost blew a fuse after that call...

another problem I ahve is when they constiently run parker up the middle for a 1-2 yard gain. it just wasn't working for them the whole game and ariens kept calling the same damn run. how about running the ball to the outside with willies speed!!!!
This is exactly what I was going to say.  Dookie is getting 5 yards per, it is 3rd and two with about 2:30 left in the 4th.  2 freaking yards to wing the game, so they go pass and Ben gets sacked.  How about a slant pass, or one of those stupid fucking wide receiver screens?  Unbelievable.

Here is a little word of advice, when FWP is getting 2 yards a carry, fucking scrap it and give ti to Dookie.  

You have got to be kidding me.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 07:48 »

Problem is, if Dookie doesn't get the first, then some people will argue that we got too conservative and went run, run, run, punt.  I think if you are going to throw it, you've got to call something that gets the ball out of Ben's hands quickly.  Maybe they did and it didn't work; I don't know, but this was a team loss today.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 07:56 »

Problem is, if Dookie doesn't get the first, then some people will argue that we got too conservative and went run, run, run, punt.  I think if you are going to throw it, you've got to call something that gets the ball out of Ben's hands quickly.  Maybe they did and it didn't work; I don't know, but this was a team loss today.
True, and I agree, since I was calling for a pass on 3rd and 6 late in one of our previous games, but 3rd and 2 is makeable.

A slant or wide reciever screen, if available (and it probably wasn't), gets the ball out quick.

Cards, Broncs, and Jets.  YIKES

I saw something over the weekend that Pisstburgh and Seattle are tied for the 3rd easiest remaining schedule.  Guess that doesn't matter.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 08:17 »

Part of me wants to try to calm down and tell myself that:

-  The Jets are coming off of a bye, and had a week to throw some crazy defensive gameplans together.

-   Clemens hasn't played much, so gameplanning against him was a bit tougher, especially since he can throw the ball further than Dead Arm Pennington.

-  We are still in the driver's seat for the division title, leading to a playoff berth.

-  If we lose to the Dolts or the Cheatriots in the second round of the playoffs, we will have a better draft pick than if we lose the next week.

Still, I can't get past the lousy run defense, dumb penalties, shitty special teams and lousy, lousy OL play -- OL play that is clearly not going to get better anytime soon.

As far as FA aquisitions, I'm thinking that there won't be any better OL available than Ellen, and why pay out the nose for a Mahan-esque journeyman?  Too bad we don't have about 4 picks in the first 2 rounds...

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Winters in Holland

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 10:05 »

1.  In fairness, the Jets were a better team than their record indicated, especially now that they've finally benched Pennington.

I believe they were either tied or leading at the start of the 4th quarter in 6 of their 8 losses.

2.  That last full regulation possession the Steelers had- the one that ended with Ben getting sacked on a 4th and 2...

Like the Cleveland game last week, that was yet another time where I was yelling at the TV for a playaction BOMB on 1st down to try to single-handedly win the game.

If you miss it, you miss out on running 30 seconds off the clock.  But I'd argue that that isn't as important when there's still 3+ minutes left in the game.  If you make it, game over.  I think that's more than a fair tradeoff.

I'm fine with them trying to pass on 3rd and 2 (even though I thought Najei had another good game), but by 3rd down, the Jets were probably figuring pass.  If you want to pull out the pass in that situation, it has to be on 1st down, and it's got to be a home run ball.

.WiH.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: