Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 18:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WORST Call of the Season So Far...  (Read 1767 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 10:26 »

I will not try and defend this play call, as I did last week.  Totally different circumstances, playing with the lead in the fourth and playing in OT.  

I was at the game, so I got to focus on specifics, rather than the overview you get on TV.  Let me tell you, the OL was horrible.  No push on the run, no protect in pass.  Holding calls, false starts, every way this line could suck it did.

But yes, that call sucked ass too.  You mean to tell me we don't have something a little more creative and safe we could break out there than a fucking draw play?  Horrible.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
PittsburghPA
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 11:36 »

1. Mike Tomlin endures his first "choke" as a head coach. I don't want him going balls to the wall like Cowher, but Mike...how about just a little emotion? Please?

2. In our three losses this season, Willie Parker failed to rush for 100 yards, and Ben Roethlisberger was sacked four or more times, in ALL THREE of them. Blow up the whole goddamn offenSIEVE line and start over again.

3. I was screaming at the top of my lungs in the fourth quarter, "GET FUCKING DAVENPORT IN THERE, YOU DUMB FUCKS!" He was averaging over five years per carry. Parker was averaging less than three.

4. Is it just me, or with the exception of the way they ran Davenport yesterday, have we been using our RBs ass-backwards or what? For the most part, we've run Davenport, the "big back," on sweeps, and Willie Parker, the "scat back," up the middle. Dumb.

5. HOLY SHIT! We finally called a screen pass that had actual BLOCKERS out in front! Even Santonio Holmes was dumbfounded by it! He wasn't sure whether to follow the blockers or race to the outside! (I forgive him.)

6. Allen Rossum was the man in Atlanta. Glad to see our STs coach has turned him into the kind of retard we've come to expect on our STs.

7. Troy Polamalu is officially overrated until he learns how to properly tackle, and learns to play "fast" as opposed to "out of control."

8. When we had our first punt in OT nullified by a penalty, I already knew the game was over, and we had lost. What ALWAYS happens to us right after we have a good punt nullified by a penalty?

9. Roethlisberger, Davenport and Jeff Reed are the only three players who deserve the day off today.
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2007 at 17:53 by PittsburghPA » Logged

Q: What's the difference between "hard" and "light"?
A: You can sleep with a light on.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 12:27 »

Both 3rd down calls were bad IMO, but more so the 3rd and 14 in OT. Just turtling and giving up. Of course who knows if the OL could have protected long enough for the receivers to get that far downfield, but we will never know. BA seems like Whisenhunt 2.0 at this point in the season. Some stretches of great playcalling, followed by stretches of downright bizzare playcalling. The only no huddle I've seen that wasn't  a 2 minute drill was early 4th against the Clowns. He and Tomlin seem  content to send WP 10x a game(usually on 1st down) straight up the middle behind the weakest center the team has seen in 30 years for 2 yards.

I personally would have ran Davenport on the 3rd and 2. I think he gets it. But even if he doesn't, its better than a sack or INT. Whatever, its all over but the crying now.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 12:32 »

1. Mike Tomlin endures his first "choke" as a head coach. I don't want him going balls to the wall like Cowher, but Mike...how about just a little emotion? Please?

Frankly, this issue is a non-starter for me.  It's the results on the field rather than the emotion or lack thereof.  I like seeing Mike interact with the guys when things go well, but the fact that he hasn't gotten in anyone's face makes me wonder how much he feels like the general.  If he's the boss, and everyone knows it, then whether he's frenetic on the sidelines is no big deal either way.

2. In our three losses this season, Willie Parker failed to rush for 100 years, and Ben Roethlisberger was sacked four or more times, in ALL THREE of them. Blow up the whole goddamn offenSIEVE line and start over again.

Yep.  I'd like to see something change this year.  Try some personnel change, bring in a new coach, something.

3. I was screaming at the top of my lungs in the fourth quarter, "GET FUCKING DAVENPORT IN THERE, YOU DUMB FUCKS!" He was averaging over five years per carry. Parker was averaging less than three.

I agree, and say go with what works against the team you're playing.  If Parker's not getting things going, let Dookie pound it a while until FWP can come back in.

4. Is it just me, or with the exception of the way they ran Davenport yesterday, have we been using our RBs ass-backwards or what? For the most part, we've run Davenport, the "big back," on sweeps, and Willie Parker, the "scat back," up the middle. Dumb.

Yeah, it seems like we want to assert that we can do whatever we want, rather than doing what's going to be more effective... And we can't do whatever we want, obviously.

5. HOLY SHIT! We finally called a screen pass that had actual BLOCKERS out in front! Even Santonio Holmes was dumbfounded by it! He wasn't sure whether to follow the blockers or race to the outside! (I forgive him.)

Yeah, that was pretty cool.  We won't be using that again, obviously.

6. Allen Rossum was the man in Atlanta. Glad to see our STs coach has turned him into the kind of retard we've come to expect on our STs.

Rossum's making some bad decisions on what to fair catch and what to let roll, IMO, and he's not showing any explosiveness.  I'm ready to give Willie Reid another try.

7. Troy Polamalu is officially overrated until he learns how to properly tackle, and learns to play "fast" as opposed to "out of control."

Mrs. Finny made this comment several times yesterday.  My observation was that guys, Pola especially, were going for that big play rather than the solid play: trying to get the pick 6, or the sack for 12 yards lost, rather than a simple PD or a 2 yard loss.  Bad fundamentals.

8. When we had our first punt in OT nullified by a penalty, I already knew the game was over, and we had lost. What ALWAYS happens to us right after we have a good punt nullified by a penalty?

Didn't think about that.

9. Roethlisberger, Davenport and Jeff Reed are the only three players who deserve the day off today.

They probably had the best performances of a very bad day, but IMO no one gets the day off.  Not when it's that bad.  Everyone bites the bullet.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 13:14 »

I would put Townsend on the list of guys that didn't play bad.

That INT by him ices the game, if our OL can pull their heads outta their asses.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 13:29 »

Another factor to consider re: Polamalu's missed tackles, etc:

I think this was the first game of the year that we played on straight fast "turf."  Even the other artificial fields we played at (Buffalo, Cincy, etc.) I believe are that newer type of turf that is much more similar to grass.

Maybe that's a lame excuse, as I totally agree with everyone that Polamalu played poorly yesterday.......but perhaps our guys weren't prepared for the slightly higher speed of the game on good ole' 1970's-style pavement astroturf.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 15:31 »

Ditto those two remarks.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: