1. Mike Tomlin endures his first "choke" as a head coach. I don't want him going balls to the wall like Cowher, but Mike...how about just a little emotion? Please?
Frankly, this issue is a non-starter for me. It's the results on the field rather than the emotion or lack thereof. I like seeing Mike interact with the guys when things go well, but the fact that he hasn't gotten in anyone's face makes me wonder how much he feels like the general. If he's the boss, and everyone knows it, then whether he's frenetic on the sidelines is no big deal either way.
2. In our three losses this season, Willie Parker failed to rush for 100 years, and Ben Roethlisberger was sacked four or more times, in ALL THREE of them. Blow up the whole goddamn offenSIEVE line and start over again.
Yep. I'd like to see something change this year. Try some personnel change, bring in a new coach, something.
3. I was screaming at the top of my lungs in the fourth quarter, "GET FUCKING DAVENPORT IN THERE, YOU DUMB FUCKS!" He was averaging over five years per carry. Parker was averaging less than three.
I agree, and say go with what works against the team you're playing. If Parker's not getting things going, let Dookie pound it a while until FWP can come back in.
4. Is it just me, or with the exception of the way they ran Davenport yesterday, have we been using our RBs ass-backwards or what? For the most part, we've run Davenport, the "big back," on sweeps, and Willie Parker, the "scat back," up the middle. Dumb.
Yeah, it seems like we want to assert that we can do whatever we want, rather than doing what's going to be more effective... And we can't do whatever we want, obviously.
5. HOLY SHIT! We finally called a screen pass that had actual BLOCKERS out in front! Even Santonio Holmes was dumbfounded by it! He wasn't sure whether to follow the blockers or race to the outside! (I forgive him.)
Yeah, that was pretty cool. We won't be using that again, obviously.
6. Allen Rossum was the man in Atlanta. Glad to see our STs coach has turned him into the kind of retard we've come to expect on our STs.
Rossum's making some bad decisions on what to fair catch and what to let roll, IMO, and he's not showing any explosiveness. I'm ready to give Willie Reid another try.
7. Troy Polamalu is officially overrated until he learns how to properly tackle, and learns to play "fast" as opposed to "out of control."
Mrs. Finny made this comment several times yesterday. My observation was that guys, Pola especially, were going for that big play rather than the solid play: trying to get the pick 6, or the sack for 12 yards lost, rather than a simple PD or a 2 yard loss. Bad fundamentals.
8. When we had our first punt in OT nullified by a penalty, I already knew the game was over, and we had lost. What ALWAYS happens to us right after we have a good punt nullified by a penalty?
Didn't think about that.
9. Roethlisberger, Davenport and Jeff Reed are the only three players who deserve the day off today.
They probably had the best performances of a very bad day, but IMO no one gets the day off. Not when it's that bad. Everyone bites the bullet.