Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 18:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomlin's "Cool" Pose  (Read 3536 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:49 »

Does anyone else think that Mike Tomlin's intentional lack of emotion on the field is negatively rubbing off on his team at all?

I know I know- the players shouldn't need someone else to motivate them, etc.

But this is now the third loss against a team that we should've beaten.  And in this game, just like the other two losses- and few wins as well, like the last Cleveland game- this team just came out abso-friggin-lutely flat as a board.

Players tend to follow the example of their coaches, and in this case, I think that might be a bad thing.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:54 »

I don't see Tomlin's attitude on the field as a contributing factor in this loss.

Poor OL play, missed tackles and a draw play on 3rd and 13/14, when Varnon Hayes was 500 miles away were the factors today.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:38 »

Mike Tomlin can't make the line block...and no amount of jumping around is going to change that.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:39 »

I don't see Tomlin's attitude on the field as a contributing factor in this loss.

Poor OL play, missed tackles and a draw play on 3rd and 13/14, when Varnon Hayes was 500 miles away were the factors today.
What SCac & Preach said.
Spittin' ain't helpin'...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:40 »

I blame the O-Line and Bruce Arians shitty play-calling

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
nate07
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:57 »

Don't forget about the 100-plus yards the steelers gave the jets in penalty yards!!!

i think thats partally tomlin's fault...it's just a lack of disciplin!!
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 20:20 »

Don't mistake steel cold intensity as lack of emotion.  Coach didn't play like shit on the field today, the players did.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Winters in Holland

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 06:26 »

Yeah, but you have to ask yourself:  Would the O-line be blocking better, and would the defense be making a better effort had Tomlin better prepared them for the mental aspect of this game?

There's a fine line between acting professional and being totally unemotional, and I think Tomlin is toeing it.

We can look at the players' performance all we want, but the bottom line is that the Steelers have come out totally flat for at least all of the following games:

Arizona
Denver
Cleveland (2nd time)
NY Jets

That's almost half the games right there, and shows that Tomlin isn't doing at least one aspect of his job- having his team start the game off with intensity.

While I have seen him give players pats on the back when they run off the field after doing something good, I've never seen him react negatively towards anyone while on the sideline.  That's a problem.  Many times, players are looking for some feedback from their coach after they screw up a play, even if it's negative.  Simply standing there and staring them down isn't cutting it.

So basically, I agree with everyone that Arians' calling and the bad play of players on the field cost the Steelers this game more than Tomlin did.  But I don't think you can overlook the fact that this team has come out totally flat in close to half of its games this year.  Some of that has to be on MT.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 06:47 »

I'm not as worried about the emotion factor (Tomlin IS a rookie head coach).

I'm more worried about the sustained lack of concern by the FO in fixing our OL woes. We didn't pick anyone last year;  we picked two LB's who STILL don't start. Granted, no one could know that Harrison would be playing at the level he is, but, it is becoming more clear that we could have used our first pick at any of the OL spots for more help.

Mahan and Colon are terrible. Simmons, inexplicably was RESINGED.  I suppose the argument was because we know we are letting Ellen go this year, and couldn't be down two starters.  Ellen is playing poorly (though not as poorly as everyone else). Starks is meh, but clearly is better suited to RT.

Other musings...

Spaeth can't come in and help block in 2 TE sets because, well, he CAN'T block. Dude is a complete liablity in anything other than a red-zone situation.  Having Heath block out of a 2 TE set?  Kind of a waste, no?

Looked like NY was willing to play more man against our receivers, and they didn't exactly make them pay. Nate Washington really sucks it. He might present a "matchup" problem for opponents, but, it doesn't matter if you can't hold onto the fucking ball.  Holmes is starting to look a might fragile. Not good, if he is to be our numero uno for the forseeable future.

I'm now officially tired of the "safe" Allen Rossum returns. Time to bring in Willie Reid, and let him go through his growing pains. We will need every weapon when/IF we get play in the playoffs. Also, he has shown better hands than Nate Washington. I know that having a 4 Wide set of Reid, Holmes, Wilson, and Ward on the field provides little height, but I don't care. I want people who might actually catch the ball.

FWP needs to find a better cleat, and stop falling on his ass. I can't completely blame him (having to ALWAYS make someone miss behind the LOS), but, c'mon, dude, stop falling.

I know I'm being a homer, but, I really felt that the officials were a little too free with the flags on our team.  I was more angry when they weren't throwing them on the NY OL for holding, as they were, blatantly.

This team deserved to lose. They played poor fundamental football. Don't block, don't catch, don't wrap up when tackling. The team that played today, what would happen to them against the Cheatriots?  Did anyone see the highlights from the NE-BUF game? We are going to get massacred in that game...

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 09:17 »

Everyone deserves to be in The News this week.

Tomlin, LeBeau, Arians, and all the other coaches included.

As for BA and the OT draw, BA trotted out more cutesy shit when the run game wasn't working.  He doesn't seem to know what to do with the running game.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 10:54 »

He doesn't seem to know what to do with the running game.
Yes, this is spot on.  He's kind of put himself in a double bind.  "They think we're going to run it, so let's pass it first.  On the other hand, we've got the AFC's leading rusher, so we should be able to stuff it down their throats."

It's like the runs and passes work against each other, rather than compliment one another.

And yeah, Tomlin's got some growing to do as a coach.  Part of that will come with familiarity with this group of players, part of it will come from experience in general.  But to attribute the losses to some sort of, "Well, coach doesn't seem to care, so why should we?" seems High School-ish to me.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 11:14 »

Myself, as a fan, want to see the coach and players as frustrated with their performance as I am.

When reading a recap of the game, I could care less about a description of what happened in the game, scoring drives, or any opin from Eddy B. or the other local or national writers.  

What I look for are the quoted responses from players and coaches.  

I want them to have understood the deficiencies and not explain it away as "that's the way it goes sometimes."

But that's from a fan's perspective.  I don't believe it is correct to assume that because Tomlin didn't react by throwing a tirade when we were missing tackles or turning over the football, that his demeanor was a negative factor in-game.  Or that assuming that Tomlin's calm demeanor leading up to the game was cause for the team being unprepared for Sunday's game.  

As a fan, I would like Tomlin to throw his headset, much as I do my remote.  Or to chew players out after a bad play, just as I spew vitriol at the television after a dropped pass or missed tackle.  But as any good manager knows, it's not cut-and-dry when dealing with situations and the individuals who partake in those situations.  Sometimes a cool demeanor works.  Sometimes blunt but calm conversations work.  Sometimes demotion.  Etc.  

The Steelers are still in a transition period and the players and Tomlin are still forging new communication and understanding, despite players saying they have bought into Tomlin's ways.

Albeit it a brief view, Tomlin seems like a guy who doesn't knee jerk but is willing to reshape the organization at the cost of veterans and team leaders who do not fit or who are underperforming.  He also isn't reactionary, on the field or, via players, off the field.  But he is matter of fact.  

Do I wish Tomlin would feel as frustrated as I do at a draw on 3rd and 14 in OT?  Yep.  Would it be the correct decision for him to react that way during the game or post game?  I don't know.

But I do know it's not an absolute that it's the correct decision.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
padgfrombf

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 12:12 »

As for BA and the OT draw, BA trotted out more cutesy shit when the run game wasn't working.  He doesn't seem to know what to do with the running game.
Arians' track record at Cleveland isn't encouraging either wrt the run.  It's something that BA eventually let wither on the vine in his Browns' tenure.  
Winters in Holland

« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 12:24 »

It's like the runs and passes work against each other, rather than compliment one another.

I just thought that beared repeating.

A big part of making the runs/passes complement each other better is simply doing more rushing on 1st down.

The Steelers have gotten into a habit of throwing on over half of their first downs.  It is somewhat effective, but the problem is that when there is an incompletion, it pretty much forces the team's hand into throwing on 2nd and 3rd as well.

Ergo, any run tried on those plays usually gets crushed, because the defense is sending players on the blitz more often than not.

.WiH.

DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 16:42 »

The Steelers have gotten into a habit of throwing on over half of their first downs.

As I'd normally have a stat for this, I don't, so I don't know if this is accurate or not. I'm responding because my perception has been slightly different. I've noticed - especially the last two weeks - an incredible knack for the Steelers to run to the left for one yard on first down. Anyone else noticing that? Or is it just me?

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 16:44 »

And while the draw play in overtime infuriated me, I still like BA. A lot.  

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Greygrizzly
N00b

« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 17:44 »

I think that Tomlins attitude does matter. He looks like he could care less whats happening on the field. The players look at that and think that well it must not matter. I've had bosses like him and the crew doesn't produce when they think that the boss just doesn't care. I'm not saying he needs to act like a drooling spiting jerk like Cowher did but show some sort of displeasure with whats going on.  Maybe he should fire Arians today. That would send a message, that if you don't produce then ya go. No hollering screaming drooling spiting or any thing like that. But if you don't or can't do you're job you are out of here.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 18:01 »

Wow. Fellas. We're 7-3. Not 3-7.

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 18:15 »

WTF does Tomlins demeanor have to do with anything?  he's not playing the game and if the players cant get motivated playing on the road to maintain their hold on the division after knowing the stains had already won, well they dont belong in the playoffs.  

Maybe Tomlin can kick Cam Cameron in the chest down a well right before kickoff and declare war against the entire Persian army.  would that make us all forget the crap we have for an O line?

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
ICFan
N00b

« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 22:46 »

I do like to see a coach show some emotion occasionaly, however, Tony Dungy never shows emotion and he seems to be doing a "decent" job in Indy.
whitmer_87

« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:07 »

Wow. Fellas. We're 7-3. Not 3-7.
Amen.

We came out flat and lost. That's a characteristic that happens to a team ran by a rookie head coach. I don't care who you are, no one is immune to rookie mistakes. I think this loss will bring the guys back down to earth after our two previous wins. It's not all bad. I guarantee this will piss everyone off, and make everyone hungry. When the Steelers play with attitude they're hard to beat.

Sure we have a weak o line, but it's not the worst one in the league. We can still win games and be competitive. Maybe we lose to the Pats and they go 17-0, but that's no reason to declare the season over after 10 games with essentially a 2 game lead in the division. At this rate we'll get a first round bye and maybe play NE for the AFCC game. Anytime you get to the AFCC you're doing something right.  

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:59 »

I do like to see a coach show some emotion occasionaly, however, Tony Dungy never shows emotion and he seems to be doing a "decent" job in Indy.
Word.  Where did Tomlin get his first shot at NFL coaching?  Not to say that Tomlin is attempting to emulate Dungy, but I do believe they share some core beliefs about how one conducts himself.  Tomlin is not nor will he ever be the emotional hot-head we knew and loved in Cowher, that's never gonna happen.  Tomlin has his own style and, by god, that's how his team will play.  So far it got 'em to 7-3 with a 4-0 division lead.  Seems to be right on track IMO.

I love the guy and can't tell you why.  Must be some sort of an "it" kinda thang.  Prolly why the Rooney's hired him in the first place.

And I doubt they told him he'd be fired if they didn't win a SB in his first season.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Greygrizzly
N00b

« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:03 »

I think that every one is putting to much blame on the offensive line. The blame belongs on the coaching staff. For the last three games my son-in-law and I have been calling the Steeler offensive plays before they have been run. And if we can do it I feel absolutely sure that NFL coaches and players can do it. No O line could be successful under these circumstances. Something drastic needs to be done. Tomlin has to take action. Arians has to be demoted or fired. Or possible Tomlin needs to take over play calling.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:07 »

I think that every one is putting to much blame on the offensive line. The blame belongs on the coaching staff. For the last three games my son-in-law and I have been calling the Steeler offensive plays before they have been run. And if we can do it I feel absolutely sure that NFL coaches and players can do it. No O line could be successful under these circumstances. Something drastic needs to be done. Tomlin has to take action. Arians has to be demoted or fired. Or possible Tomlin needs to take over play calling.
That's part of it... But come on.  Come the fuck on.  This OL is the worst I've seen in many years.  Just watch how they get beat, to a man, consistently.  It's not always the defenders anticipating.  Quite a bit of just general unmitigated suckage as well.  Sean Mahan one-on-one with a DT, it's not that difficult: win the battle of strength and leverage.  Mahan winds up planted in the dirt.  Is that Arians's fault?  Over and over again, Marvel struggles to keep up with speed rushers.  If we had a more agile LT, would Arians's playcalling suddenly look better, as Ben had the kind of pocket time Brady has?  

OL play makes QBs and OCs look better or worse than they are.  I hope Arians gets better on the calling, too, but I'll say the OL is the real issue.

Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:23 »

That's part of it... But come on.  Come the fuck on.  This OL is the worst I've seen in many years.  Just watch how they get beat, to a man, consistently.  It's not always the defenders anticipating.  Quite a bit of just general unmitigated suckage as well.  Sean Mahan one-on-one with a DT, it's not that difficult: win the battle of strength and leverage.  Mahan winds up planted in the dirt.  Is that Arians's fault?  Over and over again, Marvel struggles to keep up with speed rushers.  If we had a more agile LT, would Arians's playcalling suddenly look better, as Ben had the kind of pocket time Brady has?  

OL play makes QBs and OCs look better or worse than they are.  I hope Arians gets better on the calling, too, but I'll say the OL is the real issue.
I agree with FW.

I disagree with the notion that Tomlin would be a better coach if he jumped up and down in people's faces. What would that accomplish? Remember that you have no idea what Tomlin does to motivate or lead the team.

In general, I think emotion and "flat" play are meaningless terms. When you're getting beat, you look flat and unemotional.

In fact, I'd argue that we see TOO MUCH damn emotion.

No, when our defense isn't getting the job done, I don't want to see Brett "Thomas Jones just ran over me" Keisel do his gay archery routine. I don't want to see Anthony Smith pull a Gastineau when he's TACKLED someone.

The cool, efficient leader as a head coach is a model that works just fine. Landry, Noll, Belichick, Dungy....there's a bunch of guys who can command respect and hard play without acting like a clown.  
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:24 »

I do realize we are talking about the Steelers and Steeler Football, but how about a couple of designed roll-outs.  Since he is going to end up scrambling anyway, why not help the o-line and mix it up a bit.

I know teams want to dictate what they do, not play reactively to what the opponent is doing, but they also have to realize their own strengths and weaknesses.

Having said that, put Kreider in and start pounding Dookie for the fist half.  After that, put Parker in and make the "D" chase him wide.  I think if they can have some remote success doing that, it takes some pressure off the O-line, if thery can successfully run the ball more, and FWP will get 150 yards running on the tired D.

The other big thing, as mentioned several times, pass some on non passing downs.  And, rund some draw plays on 3rd and long . . Oh wait, uhm, nevermind.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:30 »

I do realize we are talking about the Steelers and Steeler Football, but how about a couple of designed roll-outs.  Since he is going to end up scrambling anyway, why not help the o-line and mix it up a bit.

I agree. I sometimes think we'd benefit from more of a zone-blocking scheme, like Denver's, which would take advantage of our linemen's mobility, and can cover up guys who aren't able to dominate other lines.

Denver's offense is very elegant -- lots of zone run left, zone run right, play-action rollouts that give the QB a lot of time.

I also think Willie, who is a one-cut runner, would gain 2000 yards a year in Denver.

Of course -- this is naive wishful thinking. Most teams mix up zone and man blocking, but we are exclusively the latter, and it's too late to coach them into a different scheme. I just think it would work like crazy.  
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 11:40 »

Right now, the Steelers have:

A 7-3 record
A quarterback on pace to have the best passing season in franchise history
A running back who ranks second in the NFL in rushing
A team that is fifth in the NFL in terms of points per game

And we have a guy who is not only suggesting we fire the offensive coordinator, but demanding it.

Just trying to make sure I understand everything.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 13:04 »

Personally, I've been a bit disappointed by the massive mood swings on this board.  We win, Freeney gets hurt, all of a sudden we start game planning for the Colts at home in January.  We lose, all of a sudden Tomlin's composure becomes disinterest, and we're no better than 9-7 and a first round, wild-card exit.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 13:08 »

That might have something to do with the recent head injury?
Winters in Holland

« Reply #30 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 13:14 »

We lose, all of a sudden Tomlin's composure becomes disinterest, and we're no better than 9-7 and a first round, wild-card exit.

Sorry- I thought this was a board where people liked talking about the intricate details of this team, and enjoyed debating things like that.

.WiH.

pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 13:39 »

We lose, all of a sudden Tomlin's composure becomes disinterest, and we're no better than 9-7 and a first round, wild-card exit.

Sorry- I thought this was a board where people liked talking about the intricate details of this team, and enjoyed debating things like that.

.WiH.
Indeed it is.  Not sure who 'enjoyable' the debates are, however, when it's little more than swinging from pole to pole like Y2Joyce's midget hooker girlfriend.

That might have something to do with the recent head injury?

How did you know about that?  Who told you?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
dcity21

« Reply #32 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 13:39 »

there's nothing wrong with the topic and i don't think that is what penso is reffering to..

it seemed to me that he was more reffering to the suicidal type talk that went on within the topic..

hell, i thought this thread was a damn good read aside from a few non-analytical-we-suck-posts..

and our o-line does suck.. 2 or 3 of those sacks, maybe more, came when they were only rushing 3 or 4 guys.. and we had a TE in blocking..

and the draw play in crunch time was killing me as well.. Ben has what it takes to make a smart play there and without that first down they were gonna have decent to great field position anyhow, so you might as well risk the pick and throw..

With NE and Jax (we should beat them but this game will be bloody) left this team had better win the rest of the games that they are supposed to win, b/c the Browns won't lose many more.. even tho i would not be suprised if they lose the next two, vs. Hou and @ Az..  

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 14:29 »

Personally, I've been a bit disappointed by the massive mood swings on this board.  We win, Freeney gets hurt, all of a sudden we start game planning for the Colts at home in January.  We lose, all of a sudden Tomlin's composure becomes disinterest, and we're no better than 9-7 and a first round, wild-card exit.

Makes as much sense as losing to the Jets.

We could still host the Colts, but we'd have had a better chance winning the games we're supposed to win.

I don't believe we'll finish 9-7, and think we can still reach the AFCC, but that's what I thought when I was more confident of a #2 seed.  Beating the Pats still remains a daunting task, Jets loss or no.

I will say that I've been very even keel in watching the games, win or lose.  In a sense, this seems like a freebie year: Tomlin's first year as HC, coming off the 8-8 disappointment, I just figure anything good we do is icing.  Next year, expectations will be a little higher.

Still, doesn't it make some basic sense that people will be dejected after a heinous loss?  I mean, it's understandable.  We're constantly revising expectations.  The more interesting question is, would we have revised our expectations as drastically had we won in OT?  

From the mouth of the babe: Mrs. Finny said, after the Jets loss, that we've just looked terrible in beating the Browns and losing to the Jets.  "A new kind of fugly" was her exact phrase, I believe.  That seems about right.  We're playing fugly, but with some nifty highlights along the way -- an individual performance from Ben or Silverback, or a good stomping of the Ratties.  We gotsta get rid of the fugly.  Too damn much fugly.

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 14:31 »

I will say that I've been very even keel in watching the games, win or lose.  In a sense, this seems like a freebie year: Tomlin's first year as HC, coming off the 8-8 disappointment, I just figure anything good we do is icing.  Next year, expectations will be a little higher.

That's basically the way I feel about it.  This is bonus year.

Bonus that it looks like Ben's back - and maybe better than ever.  Or at least heading in that direction.

Bonus in James Harrison - who'da thunk it?  

Bonus in that has anybody else noticed that Nate has actually been where he's supposed to be and CAUGHT the ball a few times lately?

Bonus in the fact that we're leading the division, and did we really think we would be at this point?

Yeah, I was pissed after losing to the Jets.  AZ didn't bother me as much, Broncs either.  Losing to the Jets did.  I didn't sleep for 2 days.  I almost quit drinkin'...(OK, not really...)

But I'm not gonna question Tomlin's fire and intensity, cause I'm bettin' he's got plenty, and that those guys on the field know it.

I am, however, gonna start figuring out who we need to friggin' draft to shore up that swiss cheese O-line!!  Fercrissake....

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 20:11 »

I'd be in agreement about this being a "free season," if it were not for my absolute hatred ot the Cheatriots, and my overwhelming desire to see some team, ANY TEAM stop the evil.

I had clung to hopes that our team might match up well, but recent evidence disputes that analysis.

Other than that, we are a good draft (and maybe a key FA aquisition) away from being the class of the NFL.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Winters in Holland

« Reply #36 on: Nov 22, 2007 at 06:56 »

Do you guys really think a head coach makes that much of a difference that many of you were willing to write this year off simply because it's Tomlin's first year?

I know that an NFL head coach has a much, much bigger influence on the game than the manager of an MLB club, but don't you think it's still primarily about the talent you have on the roster?

Or are today's NFL teams so dependent upon game plan/schemes that a coach really can make/break a team, regardless of talent?

.WiH.

DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #37 on: Nov 22, 2007 at 10:26 »

Obviously talent is of great importance, but I think the NFL is a league where a bad head coach can wreck a season, while a good head coach can get more out of a team that may not have as much talent as the other guys. I think Norv Turner is a great example of this.

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Nov 22, 2007 at 11:07 »

Do you guys really think a head coach makes that much of a difference that many of you were willing to write this year off simply because it's Tomlin's first year?

I know that an NFL head coach has a much, much bigger influence on the game than the manager of an MLB club, but don't you think it's still primarily about the talent you have on the roster?

Or are today's NFL teams so dependent upon game plan/schemes that a coach really can make/break a team, regardless of talent?

.WiH.
No, dude, not write off.  Just not expect to win the division, much less the Super Bowl.  I just expected growing pains.  I expected Faneca to be more of a problem.  

To me, and I'm just a chick, so maybe I'm overestimating this, it can't be easy to walk in and try to take over an entirely different scheme, even when you do have some of the same personnel.  So to expect Tomlin to walk in and lead the team to the Super Bowl, or even the AFCC seemed a big task.

I have to say, I'm very pleased with the season, as a whole, so far.  Not so much the AZ,DEN & NYJ games, but....

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Nov 22, 2007 at 11:35 »

I'm a big fan of LC's "Cool" pose.

:erectnipples:
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Nov 22, 2007 at 15:59 »

Obviously talent is of great importance, but I think the NFL is a league where a bad head coach can wreck a season, while a good head coach can get more out of a team that may not have as much talent as the other guys. I think Norv Turner is a great example of this.
Norv Turner is the poster child for how important a coach is to a professional football team.  

Who farted?
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #41 on: Nov 23, 2007 at 08:27 »

Or what an arrogant jackass of a GM can do to a team.  He lucked into a string of good fortune in spite of himself and let it go to his head.  Kinda like Patrick Dempsey in Can't Buy Me Love.   Now Malachi Tomlinson is crying, 'You shit on my house, man!"
mrblack66

« Reply #42 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 08:34 »

two words

tony dungy

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
padgfrombf

« Reply #43 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 10:18 »

Oh yeah, a decent coach will get decent assistants, work out existing personnel problems, and keep teams focused.  In addition to Dungy, Wade Phillips is relatively low key and doing a decent job in sorting out the talent at Dallas this year.  Of course, he hasn't been hit with the inevitable T.O. meltdown yet, but that's why he's getting the big bucks.

Agree with WF on the San Diego situation.  It could be argued that Schottenheimer would have been a far better GM than the clown that fired him.  Their loss, though it looks like the Chargers now have the undeserved inside track to the AFCW right now.

With Tomlin, so far, so good.  If some of the obvious O-line and ST problems continue this year, we'll get our first look into how he handles adversity.  Cowher was fairly predictable in his MO, it should be fun to watch Tomlin's workings under pressure.
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: