Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 04:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomlin's "Cool" Pose  (Read 3256 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:49 »

Does anyone else think that Mike Tomlin's intentional lack of emotion on the field is negatively rubbing off on his team at all?

I know I know- the players shouldn't need someone else to motivate them, etc.

But this is now the third loss against a team that we should've beaten.  And in this game, just like the other two losses- and few wins as well, like the last Cleveland game- this team just came out abso-friggin-lutely flat as a board.

Players tend to follow the example of their coaches, and in this case, I think that might be a bad thing.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 18:54 »

I don't see Tomlin's attitude on the field as a contributing factor in this loss.

Poor OL play, missed tackles and a draw play on 3rd and 13/14, when Varnon Hayes was 500 miles away were the factors today.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:38 »

Mike Tomlin can't make the line block...and no amount of jumping around is going to change that.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:39 »

I don't see Tomlin's attitude on the field as a contributing factor in this loss.

Poor OL play, missed tackles and a draw play on 3rd and 13/14, when Varnon Hayes was 500 miles away were the factors today.
What SCac & Preach said.
Spittin' ain't helpin'...

I'm still the one with the boobs.
mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:40 »

I blame the O-Line and Bruce Arians shitty play-calling

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
nate07
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 19:57 »

Don't forget about the 100-plus yards the steelers gave the jets in penalty yards!!!

i think thats partally tomlin's fault...it's just a lack of disciplin!!
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2007 at 20:20 »

Don't mistake steel cold intensity as lack of emotion.  Coach didn't play like shit on the field today, the players did.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 06:26 »

Yeah, but you have to ask yourself:  Would the O-line be blocking better, and would the defense be making a better effort had Tomlin better prepared them for the mental aspect of this game?

There's a fine line between acting professional and being totally unemotional, and I think Tomlin is toeing it.

We can look at the players' performance all we want, but the bottom line is that the Steelers have come out totally flat for at least all of the following games:

Arizona
Denver
Cleveland (2nd time)
NY Jets

That's almost half the games right there, and shows that Tomlin isn't doing at least one aspect of his job- having his team start the game off with intensity.

While I have seen him give players pats on the back when they run off the field after doing something good, I've never seen him react negatively towards anyone while on the sideline.  That's a problem.  Many times, players are looking for some feedback from their coach after they screw up a play, even if it's negative.  Simply standing there and staring them down isn't cutting it.

So basically, I agree with everyone that Arians' calling and the bad play of players on the field cost the Steelers this game more than Tomlin did.  But I don't think you can overlook the fact that this team has come out totally flat in close to half of its games this year.  Some of that has to be on MT.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 06:47 »

I'm not as worried about the emotion factor (Tomlin IS a rookie head coach).

I'm more worried about the sustained lack of concern by the FO in fixing our OL woes. We didn't pick anyone last year;  we picked two LB's who STILL don't start. Granted, no one could know that Harrison would be playing at the level he is, but, it is becoming more clear that we could have used our first pick at any of the OL spots for more help.

Mahan and Colon are terrible. Simmons, inexplicably was RESINGED.  I suppose the argument was because we know we are letting Ellen go this year, and couldn't be down two starters.  Ellen is playing poorly (though not as poorly as everyone else). Starks is meh, but clearly is better suited to RT.

Other musings...

Spaeth can't come in and help block in 2 TE sets because, well, he CAN'T block. Dude is a complete liablity in anything other than a red-zone situation.  Having Heath block out of a 2 TE set?  Kind of a waste, no?

Looked like NY was willing to play more man against our receivers, and they didn't exactly make them pay. Nate Washington really sucks it. He might present a "matchup" problem for opponents, but, it doesn't matter if you can't hold onto the fucking ball.  Holmes is starting to look a might fragile. Not good, if he is to be our numero uno for the forseeable future.

I'm now officially tired of the "safe" Allen Rossum returns. Time to bring in Willie Reid, and let him go through his growing pains. We will need every weapon when/IF we get play in the playoffs. Also, he has shown better hands than Nate Washington. I know that having a 4 Wide set of Reid, Holmes, Wilson, and Ward on the field provides little height, but I don't care. I want people who might actually catch the ball.

FWP needs to find a better cleat, and stop falling on his ass. I can't completely blame him (having to ALWAYS make someone miss behind the LOS), but, c'mon, dude, stop falling.

I know I'm being a homer, but, I really felt that the officials were a little too free with the flags on our team.  I was more angry when they weren't throwing them on the NY OL for holding, as they were, blatantly.

This team deserved to lose. They played poor fundamental football. Don't block, don't catch, don't wrap up when tackling. The team that played today, what would happen to them against the Cheatriots?  Did anyone see the highlights from the NE-BUF game? We are going to get massacred in that game...

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 09:17 »

Everyone deserves to be in The News this week.

Tomlin, LeBeau, Arians, and all the other coaches included.

As for BA and the OT draw, BA trotted out more cutesy shit when the run game wasn't working.  He doesn't seem to know what to do with the running game.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: