Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 02, 2014 at 19:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomlin's "Cool" Pose  (Read 3095 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 10:54 »

He doesn't seem to know what to do with the running game.
Yes, this is spot on.  He's kind of put himself in a double bind.  "They think we're going to run it, so let's pass it first.  On the other hand, we've got the AFC's leading rusher, so we should be able to stuff it down their throats."

It's like the runs and passes work against each other, rather than compliment one another.

And yeah, Tomlin's got some growing to do as a coach.  Part of that will come with familiarity with this group of players, part of it will come from experience in general.  But to attribute the losses to some sort of, "Well, coach doesn't seem to care, so why should we?" seems High School-ish to me.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 11:14 »

Myself, as a fan, want to see the coach and players as frustrated with their performance as I am.

When reading a recap of the game, I could care less about a description of what happened in the game, scoring drives, or any opin from Eddy B. or the other local or national writers.  

What I look for are the quoted responses from players and coaches.  

I want them to have understood the deficiencies and not explain it away as "that's the way it goes sometimes."

But that's from a fan's perspective.  I don't believe it is correct to assume that because Tomlin didn't react by throwing a tirade when we were missing tackles or turning over the football, that his demeanor was a negative factor in-game.  Or that assuming that Tomlin's calm demeanor leading up to the game was cause for the team being unprepared for Sunday's game.  

As a fan, I would like Tomlin to throw his headset, much as I do my remote.  Or to chew players out after a bad play, just as I spew vitriol at the television after a dropped pass or missed tackle.  But as any good manager knows, it's not cut-and-dry when dealing with situations and the individuals who partake in those situations.  Sometimes a cool demeanor works.  Sometimes blunt but calm conversations work.  Sometimes demotion.  Etc.  

The Steelers are still in a transition period and the players and Tomlin are still forging new communication and understanding, despite players saying they have bought into Tomlin's ways.

Albeit it a brief view, Tomlin seems like a guy who doesn't knee jerk but is willing to reshape the organization at the cost of veterans and team leaders who do not fit or who are underperforming.  He also isn't reactionary, on the field or, via players, off the field.  But he is matter of fact.  

Do I wish Tomlin would feel as frustrated as I do at a draw on 3rd and 14 in OT?  Yep.  Would it be the correct decision for him to react that way during the game or post game?  I don't know.

But I do know it's not an absolute that it's the correct decision.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
padgfrombf

« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 12:12 »

As for BA and the OT draw, BA trotted out more cutesy shit when the run game wasn't working.  He doesn't seem to know what to do with the running game.
Arians' track record at Cleveland isn't encouraging either wrt the run.  It's something that BA eventually let wither on the vine in his Browns' tenure.  
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 12:24 »

It's like the runs and passes work against each other, rather than compliment one another.

I just thought that beared repeating.

A big part of making the runs/passes complement each other better is simply doing more rushing on 1st down.

The Steelers have gotten into a habit of throwing on over half of their first downs.  It is somewhat effective, but the problem is that when there is an incompletion, it pretty much forces the team's hand into throwing on 2nd and 3rd as well.

Ergo, any run tried on those plays usually gets crushed, because the defense is sending players on the blitz more often than not.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 16:42 »

The Steelers have gotten into a habit of throwing on over half of their first downs.

As I'd normally have a stat for this, I don't, so I don't know if this is accurate or not. I'm responding because my perception has been slightly different. I've noticed - especially the last two weeks - an incredible knack for the Steelers to run to the left for one yard on first down. Anyone else noticing that? Or is it just me?

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 16:44 »

And while the draw play in overtime infuriated me, I still like BA. A lot.  

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Greygrizzly
N00b

« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 17:44 »

I think that Tomlins attitude does matter. He looks like he could care less whats happening on the field. The players look at that and think that well it must not matter. I've had bosses like him and the crew doesn't produce when they think that the boss just doesn't care. I'm not saying he needs to act like a drooling spiting jerk like Cowher did but show some sort of displeasure with whats going on.  Maybe he should fire Arians today. That would send a message, that if you don't produce then ya go. No hollering screaming drooling spiting or any thing like that. But if you don't or can't do you're job you are out of here.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 18:01 »

Wow. Fellas. We're 7-3. Not 3-7.

JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 18:15 »

WTF does Tomlins demeanor have to do with anything?  he's not playing the game and if the players cant get motivated playing on the road to maintain their hold on the division after knowing the stains had already won, well they dont belong in the playoffs.  

Maybe Tomlin can kick Cam Cameron in the chest down a well right before kickoff and declare war against the entire Persian army.  would that make us all forget the crap we have for an O line?

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
ICFan
N00b

« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 22:46 »

I do like to see a coach show some emotion occasionaly, however, Tony Dungy never shows emotion and he seems to be doing a "decent" job in Indy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: