Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 14:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tomlin's "Cool" Pose  (Read 3073 times)
whitmer_87
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:07 »

Wow. Fellas. We're 7-3. Not 3-7.
Amen.

We came out flat and lost. That's a characteristic that happens to a team ran by a rookie head coach. I don't care who you are, no one is immune to rookie mistakes. I think this loss will bring the guys back down to earth after our two previous wins. It's not all bad. I guarantee this will piss everyone off, and make everyone hungry. When the Steelers play with attitude they're hard to beat.

Sure we have a weak o line, but it's not the worst one in the league. We can still win games and be competitive. Maybe we lose to the Pats and they go 17-0, but that's no reason to declare the season over after 10 games with essentially a 2 game lead in the division. At this rate we'll get a first round bye and maybe play NE for the AFCC game. Anytime you get to the AFCC you're doing something right.  

"The duty of the comedian is to find out where the line is drawn, and cross it deliberately."-George Carlin
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 23:59 »

I do like to see a coach show some emotion occasionaly, however, Tony Dungy never shows emotion and he seems to be doing a "decent" job in Indy.
Word.  Where did Tomlin get his first shot at NFL coaching?  Not to say that Tomlin is attempting to emulate Dungy, but I do believe they share some core beliefs about how one conducts himself.  Tomlin is not nor will he ever be the emotional hot-head we knew and loved in Cowher, that's never gonna happen.  Tomlin has his own style and, by god, that's how his team will play.  So far it got 'em to 7-3 with a 4-0 division lead.  Seems to be right on track IMO.

I love the guy and can't tell you why.  Must be some sort of an "it" kinda thang.  Prolly why the Rooney's hired him in the first place.

And I doubt they told him he'd be fired if they didn't win a SB in his first season.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Greygrizzly
N00b

« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:03 »

I think that every one is putting to much blame on the offensive line. The blame belongs on the coaching staff. For the last three games my son-in-law and I have been calling the Steeler offensive plays before they have been run. And if we can do it I feel absolutely sure that NFL coaches and players can do it. No O line could be successful under these circumstances. Something drastic needs to be done. Tomlin has to take action. Arians has to be demoted or fired. Or possible Tomlin needs to take over play calling.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:07 »

I think that every one is putting to much blame on the offensive line. The blame belongs on the coaching staff. For the last three games my son-in-law and I have been calling the Steeler offensive plays before they have been run. And if we can do it I feel absolutely sure that NFL coaches and players can do it. No O line could be successful under these circumstances. Something drastic needs to be done. Tomlin has to take action. Arians has to be demoted or fired. Or possible Tomlin needs to take over play calling.
That's part of it... But come on.  Come the fuck on.  This OL is the worst I've seen in many years.  Just watch how they get beat, to a man, consistently.  It's not always the defenders anticipating.  Quite a bit of just general unmitigated suckage as well.  Sean Mahan one-on-one with a DT, it's not that difficult: win the battle of strength and leverage.  Mahan winds up planted in the dirt.  Is that Arians's fault?  Over and over again, Marvel struggles to keep up with speed rushers.  If we had a more agile LT, would Arians's playcalling suddenly look better, as Ben had the kind of pocket time Brady has?  

OL play makes QBs and OCs look better or worse than they are.  I hope Arians gets better on the calling, too, but I'll say the OL is the real issue.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:23 »

That's part of it... But come on.  Come the fuck on.  This OL is the worst I've seen in many years.  Just watch how they get beat, to a man, consistently.  It's not always the defenders anticipating.  Quite a bit of just general unmitigated suckage as well.  Sean Mahan one-on-one with a DT, it's not that difficult: win the battle of strength and leverage.  Mahan winds up planted in the dirt.  Is that Arians's fault?  Over and over again, Marvel struggles to keep up with speed rushers.  If we had a more agile LT, would Arians's playcalling suddenly look better, as Ben had the kind of pocket time Brady has?  

OL play makes QBs and OCs look better or worse than they are.  I hope Arians gets better on the calling, too, but I'll say the OL is the real issue.
I agree with FW.

I disagree with the notion that Tomlin would be a better coach if he jumped up and down in people's faces. What would that accomplish? Remember that you have no idea what Tomlin does to motivate or lead the team.

In general, I think emotion and "flat" play are meaningless terms. When you're getting beat, you look flat and unemotional.

In fact, I'd argue that we see TOO MUCH damn emotion.

No, when our defense isn't getting the job done, I don't want to see Brett "Thomas Jones just ran over me" Keisel do his gay archery routine. I don't want to see Anthony Smith pull a Gastineau when he's TACKLED someone.

The cool, efficient leader as a head coach is a model that works just fine. Landry, Noll, Belichick, Dungy....there's a bunch of guys who can command respect and hard play without acting like a clown.  
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:24 »

I do realize we are talking about the Steelers and Steeler Football, but how about a couple of designed roll-outs.  Since he is going to end up scrambling anyway, why not help the o-line and mix it up a bit.

I know teams want to dictate what they do, not play reactively to what the opponent is doing, but they also have to realize their own strengths and weaknesses.

Having said that, put Kreider in and start pounding Dookie for the fist half.  After that, put Parker in and make the "D" chase him wide.  I think if they can have some remote success doing that, it takes some pressure off the O-line, if thery can successfully run the ball more, and FWP will get 150 yards running on the tired D.

The other big thing, as mentioned several times, pass some on non passing downs.  And, rund some draw plays on 3rd and long . . Oh wait, uhm, nevermind.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #26 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 09:30 »

I do realize we are talking about the Steelers and Steeler Football, but how about a couple of designed roll-outs.  Since he is going to end up scrambling anyway, why not help the o-line and mix it up a bit.

I agree. I sometimes think we'd benefit from more of a zone-blocking scheme, like Denver's, which would take advantage of our linemen's mobility, and can cover up guys who aren't able to dominate other lines.

Denver's offense is very elegant -- lots of zone run left, zone run right, play-action rollouts that give the QB a lot of time.

I also think Willie, who is a one-cut runner, would gain 2000 yards a year in Denver.

Of course -- this is naive wishful thinking. Most teams mix up zone and man blocking, but we are exclusively the latter, and it's too late to coach them into a different scheme. I just think it would work like crazy.  
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #27 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 11:40 »

Right now, the Steelers have:

A 7-3 record
A quarterback on pace to have the best passing season in franchise history
A running back who ranks second in the NFL in rushing
A team that is fifth in the NFL in terms of points per game

And we have a guy who is not only suggesting we fire the offensive coordinator, but demanding it.

Just trying to make sure I understand everything.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 13:04 »

Personally, I've been a bit disappointed by the massive mood swings on this board.  We win, Freeney gets hurt, all of a sudden we start game planning for the Colts at home in January.  We lose, all of a sudden Tomlin's composure becomes disinterest, and we're no better than 9-7 and a first round, wild-card exit.

Doesn't make any sense to me at all.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 13:08 »

Doesn't make any sense to me at all.

That might have something to do with the recent head injury?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: