Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 01, 2014 at 07:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 11-5/10-6  (Read 1163 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Nov 19, 2007 at 07:12 »

Considering the performance of our offensive line, I'd say that's the best we can hope for--barring a major turnaround.  We've been winning IN SPITE OF our line, not because of them.  I don't know if they can make changes, or if Ben needs to make better protection calls/audibles, but we ain't got it up front. whatever the reason.

So we get a 3 or 4-seed.  Honestly, I believe that we'll make it to the AFCC if we get a 3-seed.  If we're a 4-seed, then we just become Patriot Fodder one week early.  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 08:28 »

Assuming we win Monday, we'll be 8-3.

After that, there's not one game I'm comfortable with.

- Haven't the Bengals beaten us at home the last 2 years? That Tranny WR always seems to light us up.

- Pats should take us easily

- Jags will be tough

- Rams are getting healthy and this game will be much more difficult than it would have been in the first half of the season

- Ravens will have something to prove
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 08:35 »

At the beginning of the year, if I had said the Steelers would finish 11-5, how many would have taken that?

Terrible loss to the Jets, but we are still in control of the division, and a #3 seed. With the injuries with Indy, a #2 seed is still in the realm of possibility.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 09:31 »

Right now, I don't care much about our final record or seeding.  I just want this team to do two things.

1. Focus on this week's game, every week.  
2. Show more consistency and steady improvement.

We've been a Jekyll and Hyde team, and clearly have lost focus some weeks.  We looked sharp coming out of camp, but maybe the HC rigors have been difficult for Tomlin to maintain.  He needs to really step it up and push the season dynamic.

The same team that whupped the Ravens couldn't do jack against the Jets?  Unbelievable!  And I have seen no improvement, really, over the long haul.  The OL seems to be regressing, playcalling seems erratic, sometimes the offense shows up, sometimes they're only there for a half or a quarter.  The wide receivers are great, or awful.  The linebackers are Pro Bowlers or schmos.  The RBs can't be stopped, or can't be started.

I think this team has to figure out what it's going to be, more for next year than this.  In 2005, we were at a similar crisis point and woke up, but IMO the gulf between the Cheaters and us is simply too great to bridge this season.  Let's learn, improve, play our best, and then put it all together when we can improve some key positions.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 11:16 »

Not that I enjoy kissing Finny's arse, but...

That's a pretty astute analysis.  I'd rather see this team on a steady climb rather than on a roller coaster.  As many have observed, what's infuriating is our inability to set ourselves apart as an elite team because we cannot come out prepared to handle mediocre competition.  Honestly, I believe that this team might actually go to Foxboro and challenge the Patriots.  But they might also come out and lose to the Dolphins.

The part of this that drives me insane is the lack of progress on the offensive line.  I agree with everything Finny said about what we're not doing.  Bottom line:  If we're blocking people, those things can be overcome.  Part of the reason that I believe Ben and FWP are so good is that they've frequently overcome the OL in order to score and put up numbers.  Can you imagine how good those two might be behind the OL from '01 or '04?  I guess, as a former OL player and coach, their lack of progress just drives me insane.  

I tell my son, "If you don't know who to block, then at least block SOMEONE!"  Yes, that's grossly oversimplified for the complexities of the NFL.  But we're not just talking about scheme problems.  We're talking about Simmons getting pushed back into the play, or Marvel and Willie letting guys simply run by them.  That is inexcusable.  Have some pride and go up there and whip somebody.  Even if it's the wrong block, it's a lot better than standing there with your thumb up your but looking stupid.

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2007 at 12:06 »

I still think 12-4 is a possibility, but it is looking more like 11-5. Thats still good enough for the 3rd seed (the Browns ain't going to go 12-4) and a home playoff game and a trip to Indy first. They have yet to lose 2 in a row this year, and a home Monday Night game is just what the doctored ordered.

The trend to lay an egg, particularly an offensive egg, on the road since the magic of '05 is somewhat disturbing. It has spanned 2 coaches now and two different seasons. If they play like that in Foxboro its going to be 52-10 and Ben's going to get hurt. The OL simply has to play better and I'm not sure they are really capable of it. As Preach said, BR and FWP are so good and make plays to cover up the fact that their always running for their lives. BR more than Willie.

What do you do? Move Simmons to center, and put Starks in at RG? Colon still blows. Smith still kinda blows. Reddy can barely block his guy let alone the guy that just ran over Mahan. Let's just hope they can keep it together enough to win most of these last games.

The remaining schedule has two more losses in it IMHO. Other than the obvious oncoming beatdown frm the Pats, Jax should be a nightmare. Their DL is monstrous and will outright destroy the Pit OL. The Rams away is a questionable game as well, but come on guys, if you lose to both the Jets and Rams you don't deserve to go to the playoffs. I think they finally handle a down Cincy team at home as well as the Ravens. Especially if the playoffs are on the line for Pitt for that last game.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 15:23 »

Right now, I don't care much about our final record or seeding.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2007 at 15:25 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2007 at 15:45 »

:stupid:

What AJ said...

Again, sorry to repeat, but I've been griping about this since 2004.  The short stuff gets defenses frustrated and off-balance, and it opens up running lanes and passing lanes that were not previously there.  I'll take a 3-6 yard pass play on ever down if we can get it, because that's a first down every time and a touchdown if you keep it going and a ton of time off the clock.  What could be bad about that?

Plus, like AJ says, eventually you'll get Hines or Heat or SA (if he comes back) or FWP or Dump breaking a tackle and making a big play.  There was a team called, I believe, the 49ers, and I'm pretty sure they made a decent living doing that.

Most importantly, it helps to cover our very obvious oline flaws.  Coaches are responsible for putting the talent that they have in the best position to win--so, let's start doing that, please!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: