Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 04:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Season's Over, Right?  (Read 2774 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 04:25 »

SCacalaki works at a factory where they make Asian blow-up dolls.

Line operator #45A, known by his co-workers as "Rusty", was putting the air valves in the wrong places, leading to some climax-killing deflations for the perverts of the world.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
padgfrombf

« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 09:35 »

...Tomlin hasn't gotten a challenge right yet.  But he has done a good job with coaching Ben into a leadership role.  He's helped to keep Faneca's situation from escalating to a lengthy hold out.  And so on.  More good than bad IMO....

...It's all about perspective.
You're right on perspective wrt Tomlin.  After all, this team could easily finish 11-5 (same as Cowher's first year) and at worst is probably looking at 10-6.   The perspective part is looking at the Chargers (preseason's #2 or #3 AFC darlings), who are staring down the barrel of not making the playoffs at all.

My hypothetical question (way off topic, but WTH) is if the Chargers had hired Tomlin instead of Nervous Norv, would the Chargers be as bad off as they are now?
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 12:11 »

My hypothetical question (way off topic, but WTH) is if the Chargers had hired Tomlin instead of Nervous Norv, would the Chargers be as bad off as they are now?

No, they wouldn't.

For the life of me, I can't understand why NFL teams so often want to buy a used tire when they could get a brand new set for a lot less $$$.  Veteran coaches demand higher salaries, and rarely do they improve on what they've already done.  If they were great, they seem to regress in new roles (JJohnson, Mike Holmgren, Denny Green, Art Shell, Joe Gibbs).  If they sucked, they usually continue to suck in the new job (Wannstadt, Jauron, Norv, Seifert, Capers).  

There is a reason why the Steelers have not hired a has-been/never-was to fill their coaching vacancies over the last 38 years.  It may also be why they've only had three such vacancies in the last 38 years.

Again off the subject, but does anyone think that Noll's legacy from the 80s would have changed dramatically if the Steelers had drafted Marino?  I mean, they certainly weren't great, but they went to the playoffs and won division titles with the likes of Malone, Stoudt, Woodley, and Brister.  That's worse than the list of Cowher's pre-Ben titles.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #33 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 12:26 »

Again off the subject, but does anyone think that Noll's legacy from the 80s would have changed dramatically if the Steelers had drafted Marino?  I mean, they certainly weren't great, but they went to the playoffs and won division titles with the likes of Malone, Stoudt, Woodley, and Brister.  That's worse than the list of Cowher's pre-Ben titles.
This team would have competed for Super Bowls with Marino, no doubt, in 80s. Huge missed opportunity.

Most of those mid-80s teams had good defenses, very good running games (especially considering no one feared our QBs), and very good receivers.

The missing element was QB, where we were just dreadful, and yet in spite of this had some decent years. The offensive line struggled a bit, too, as Noll was a bit stuck on short and mobile in an era when hogs were coming to the fore.

But yeah -- the Steelers draft Marino and Noll might have won multiple Super Bowls in the 1980s. I wouldn't say that about any other QB, since Marino seemed the most "purely great" -- that is, not the beneficiary of a system in which he was the perfect fit.  
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 14:09 »

Until the Steelers lose their last game, I expect a Super Bowl Victory.  Yeah, the Pats are unbeatable, etc.  Fuck them.  They don't deserve to win another SB.  Karma is a bitch and they've been piling it on for a while.  Hopefully, the Steelers will get to cash in on that pile.

Looks like it might just be me and Dr. J the rest of the way.
Dude, just cause I haven't posted in a few days, don't leave me off the Optimism Train!!

I'm with Finny in that I'd trade almost the entire O-line for just Dirt right now (he's in town, I could check with him...), but other than that....I BELIEVE!!!

:towel:  :towel:  :towel:

Unless we lose to Miami.  Then I might have to rethink that position..... :blink:  

I'm still the one with the boobs.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: