Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 18, 2014 at 09:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Heinz Turf  (Read 3314 times)
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Nov 21, 2007 at 22:33 »

Heinz Field will have a new look to it when the Steelers play the Dolphins Monday night.

It will have a whole new field.

The Post-Gazette has learned that the Steelers this weekend will cover their entire field with new sod, placing it over the DD GrassMaster field that is mostly composed of grass. However, that grass has deteriorated as usual into November and it won't be any better after the four WPIAL high school championship games are played at Heinz Field Friday, followed by Pitt vs. South Florida Saturday afternoon.

The current turf won't be replaced but covered up by the new sod, which is heavy enough that it won't have to be tied down. The work will begin after Pitt's game ends.

It's the first time sod will cover the DD GrassMaster that was installed four years ago.

"Our goal is to do everything in our power to provide the best possible conditions for both teams,'' Jimmie Sacco,, director of Heinz Stadium management said in a statement released by the Steelers this afternoon.

"After considering the number of high school, college and pro football games being played at Heinz Field in November, combined with the possibility of inclement weather, we believe this will be the best way to go.

"We will continue to use our regular playing surface in the future, but feel this option will provide for the most enjoyable game day experience for both the players and the fans in the final games of the season."

The sod will stay in place through the rest of the 2007 NFL season.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 22:34 »

What Y2J meant to say was, "Tape up yer ankles, bitches."

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 22:38 »

Tape your bitches...I think I heard that from 'malibu once.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 22:44 »

Tape your bitches...I think I heard that from 'malibu once.
"I always use taped bitches."

- Otismalibu (most empahtically, like:  really)

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 22:56 »

Hottest female cast in movie history is the jeopardy answer what is the question?

Otis is ineligible I guess.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2007 at 23:00 »

Hottest female cast in movie history is the jeopardy answer what is the question?

Otis is ineligible I guess.
Who is Uma Thurman?

And, where's the duct tape?

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2007 at 07:00 »

I thought the turf at Heinz had already been replaced once since the stadium opened?

Is that true?  I think Heinz has been open since 2001, and they did the first turf replace around 2003 or so.

I think blaming it on the # of games played there is a copout.  The grass there has always been so far below the standard professional level that they either have the most incompetent turf guys in the business, or the base beneath the turf was simply made incorrectly.

For the cost of returfing the field twice with grass/sod, they probably could've come close to paying for some of that nice new artificial turf.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
BigBen7
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 08:16 »

Anyone else think they should just out artificial turf down instead during the off-season?
Who farted?
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 08:53 »

I don't know.  This is a band-aid, not a solution.  As such, it's now atleast tacit acknowledgement by Rooney that the field is not up to NFL standards.  One step closer to real change.  Whatever that might be.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 17:26 »

Anyone else think they should just out artificial turf down instead during the off-season?

I personally believe that artificial turf should be outlawed.  However, with the amount of use this field gets, it may be the best option.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: