Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 22, 2014 at 17:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Heinz Turf  (Read 4067 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2007 at 19:59 »

No doubt, if by artificial turf you mean the stuff that is basically rebar and concrete with a layer of green outdoor carpet, like you'd put on your porch if you were so inclined.  Which I'm not.

I don't know one thing about the growing season for grass in the 'Burgh, but I'd wager it ends by October if not sooner.  So no matter what kind of natural turf you put in there, it ain't gonna work.  Toss in all the HS games in Nov and the Pitt games all season ... what do we really expect out of natural grass?  Even if it is growing season, all those pieces won't knit together anytime soon.  I mean, they probably put that shit down and spend a few days watering and possibly packing a bit.  Hell, who knows, I'm not a .... grass engineer.   Well, maybe a kind or two, but that's a different story.  Still, new turf w/out a chance to "take" doesn't have a chance.  But it's  probably better than the old mud pitt (that's not a misspelling, that's a pun) you just replaced.

I thought that Fieldturf stuff was supposed to be the wave of the future (fewer injuries than the old artificial and better wear than actual turf), why haven't they considered that?

Are there these problems in places like Foxboro, Buffalo or the Meadowlands?  Hell I don't know what they have down there.  But if not, then do those stadiums host as many late season HS and NCAA games?

Known is the answer, known is the solution.  
- Yoda

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
padgfrombf

« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 00:28 »

Not surprisingly, FieldTurf isn't adverse to mentioning Heinz's field problems on its website.  Look at the news items on the right:

http://fieldturf.com/news/news.cfm

As info, here's what is in other stadiums:

http://www.stadiumsofnfl.com/capacity.htm

Giants Stadium has a few college games and 20 pro games (including preseason), and the existence of FieldTurf there shouldn't be a surprise.  I don't know if Buffalo has ever had natural grass at Wilson Stadium.  The original Heinz Field grass surface came from Cleveland, IIRC, and was even worse than the current one. WiH obviously also remembers the surfin' turf, or whatever that stuff was, from 2001-2.

There was a listing a few years back of stadiums that let HS and college games play on their field.  I'm sure that a grass field in the tundra such as Lambeau isn't one of them.

Of course, the Steelers already have FieldTurf in their practice facility and play on it occasionally (Paul Brown Stadium, et al), so they can always take a player poll as to preference.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2007 at 01:45 by padgfrombf » Logged
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 06:18 »

According to that last website, the following cold-weather teams still have grass installed as well:

Philadelphia
Cleveland
Chicago

(It lists NE as well, but I think Gilette has field turf now.)

I highly doubt all of those fields are in as piss-poor condition as Heinz.  I would either go to Field Turf, or mimic whatever some of these teams are doing.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
Who farted?
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 06:31 »

Denver has the same DD Grassmaster field as Pittsburgh.  If you recall their Cincy game last year, they had about 2ft of snow dumped on it a day or two before the game.  Scooped it off, looked as good as summer.  Green Bay just installed DD Grassmaster this past offseason.   It's the traffic, not the climate.

In todays Ed, he says they're now investigating switching to artifical next season.  And sent some people down to WVU to scout out their new generation of Field Turf, Duraspine.  Not sure how necessary that was.  They just played on it last week at Giants Stadium.  And will again when they play NE.  
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 09:53 »

I'm going to take the same stance that I've taken every year when this comes up, that being: As long as the Steelers are winning and people aren't getting hurt, why change? Because it looks nicer? Feh.

I know opposing players bitch endlessly about coming here, and to that I say: Good.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 11:28 »

The issue with the current Grassmaster surface is nothing more that the number of games played on it.  Green Bay's field is starting to look like crap, becasue it is dormant, and it sees one game every two weeks.  Denver doesn't let anyone breathe on that field except for the Bronco's on game day.  The weather in Denver is sunny and close to 50 degrees in early winter (most of the football season - and it was low 70's until last Tuesday) so it gets plenty of sun and water.  In th east it is a completely different story.

My daughter played indoor soccer at an indoor facility that has field turf.  That stuff is a lot softer than natural grass, and is actually cushy when you walk or run on it.  Even if the weather is below freezing, that stuff would still be soft.  I think the rubber pellets are about an inch deep within the "grass" fibers.  Awesome stuff.

I do think football is intended to be played on a natural surface, regardles of the weather.  I like the fact other teams hate playing at Heinz, and it messes with their kickers.  I say don't change it.  It would hold up much much better without all the HS and college games, so there is an easy solution.  

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 13:12 »

The Steelers fired one head Heinz groundskeeper already. It was in the paper. I think his name was Lapinski or something.

The field turf is not cost-prohibitive so the money saving ideas are moot. The Steelers could line the field with three-inch thick layers of straight American cash money and not have to worry.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
padgfrombf

« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 15:59 »

I'm going to take the same stance that I've taken every year when this comes up, that being: As long as the Steelers are winning and people aren't getting hurt, why change? Because it looks nicer? Feh.

I know opposing players bitch endlessly about coming here, and to that I say: Good.
At least for the latest turf, people aren't going down with injury, as far as I can see.

I believe that it was 2002 that Plax caught a ball going OOB on the original turf, and must've taken up a couple five foot divots as he did one of those banana peel routines.  Damn near blew out a hamstring a week before the playoffs.

Agree with Big Virgil that there probably isn't anything wrong with the current turf, and that there is no magic natural grass that Heinz isn't using.  It's just overused.

LOL on the Y2J comment about lining the field with greenbacks; I thought that's what the Rooneys were doing already.
VThrilla18

« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 16:18 »

our local HS here in Altoona has a practice field that is a hybrid turf and grass. Which some dont understand. Its not a mix. Its a layer of grass. then 2 inches of rubber pellets, then covered again by turf. Some grass does grow through in the summer, but not much. But the turf is VERY VERY VERY soft. I have played a few pick up games on this field. It has good grip, as stated before soft. Doesnt leave brush burns and hold up on cuts and what not.

I dont understand why more NFL teams do not use this. I think i heard its the same shit the Eagles use.

But either way, no surface is going to last very long with 3/4 of football games in western Pa being played on the same field.

I hate to sound like a dick. Fuck the HS kids, there are 300 football fields in PA, let them play else where. And Pitt has money, let them build there own fucken place... Having all these fucken teams play on our field every week makes it kinda seem like were Busch league IMO.

vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 16:37 »

Unfortunately it was part of the agreement to have the HS kids play there as part of the publicly financed stadium deal.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: