Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 22, 2014 at 19:31 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Heinz Turf  (Read 3692 times)
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #20 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 16:38 »

I hate to sound like a dick. Fuck the HS kids, there are 300 football fields in PA, let them play else where. And Pitt has money, let them build there own fucken place...

That will never, ever, ever, happen. When you have a stadium that was built largely with public money, you can't just piss on the public like that. If they kick the championship games and Pitt out, the public outcry would be deafening.

The Rooney's will never let that happen.

And I still don't see what the big deal is. The Steelers record at Heinz Field speaks for itself, if it's not hurting them, then T.S. for the rest of the league.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 16:53 »

Unfortunately it was part of the agreement to have the HS kids play there as part of the publicly financed stadium deal.

I was wondering if that was part of the issue.  And it would surely take up public money to build Pitt its own stadium (though for the life of me I can't see how it helps their recruiting or attendance to play at Heinz).

I'm wondering if this doesn't hurt the team in other ways, as in--do we know the number of Steeler injuries that are partially a result of playing on this stuff?

I also believe that football is a grass sport and should be played on such, and I have no problem with mud on uniforms.  But I would have to believe that the surface has some negative impact on us as well as others--and has it caused injuries for other HS kids?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
VThrilla18

« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 05:26 »

I hate to sound like a dick. Fuck the HS kids, there are 300 football fields in PA, let them play else where. And Pitt has money, let them build there own fucken place...

That will never, ever, ever, happen. When you have a stadium that was built largely with public money, you can't just piss on the public like that. If they kick the championship games and Pitt out, the public outcry would be deafening.

The Rooney's will never let that happen.
Im pretty sure the Eagles Stadium was built on public funding, and im almost 90% sure no HS games or college games are played on it. Im pretty Sure PNC was built on Public funding, I dont think HS or college games are played on it are there?

Same with the Melon Arena, The Flyers building.. The soon to be new Pens building....

Let them cry and have a outrage, Maybe someone needs to tell these people, the 15 cent a year tax raise in Pittsburgh that came from the 2 new stadiums, isnt that much, compared to all the money these teams bring into the area, which in turn fuels local economy, which inturn keeps taxes lower.

Just because Johnny Punkass cant play his Single A playoff football game for Jerk Off Area Highschool on a multi million dollar field doesnt mean the field is not providing a service to the community.

Take in some logic on this 2. If people want to out cry, how much money does it cost to put on a game at Jack Off Area High Field, that holds maybe 5 thousand people? No where near as much is it does to fire up and prepare a field that holds 70 some thousand.. which in only MAYBE MAYBE 5 thousand people tops show up to the game. Add on the fact, they have to prepare this field over and over and over during 1 day.

They flush all this money down he drain why? So Johnny Punkass can say one day he played on the great Heinz Field?  Big Whoop...

Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 07:25 »

Im pretty sure the Eagles Stadium was built on public funding, and im almost 90% sure no HS games or college games are played on it.
I don't live in Philly so I have no idea about the high school games but I have been to college games at the Linc (Army/Navy and Penn State/Temple.)  

PUMA
padgfrombf

« Reply #24 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 09:55 »

Seems to me that Philly put in a chunk of money for a heated turf system.  Don't know if it really works for them, whether it would be feasible for Pittsburgh's climate, or whether the multiple HS/Pitt games would wear out the turf anyway, but it's something a little different.
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #25 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:22 »

Im pretty sure the Eagles Stadium was built on public funding, and im almost 90% sure no HS games or college games are played on it. Im pretty Sure PNC was built on Public funding, I dont think HS or college games are played on it are there?

Temple plays at the linc (they just played Penn State there two weeks ago) and the Army-Navy game has been there the past few years.

Same with the Melon Arena,

What about the Mellon Arena? That place is used constantly for stuff, including the high school hockey championships and a few college hockey games, not to mention basketball, concerts, etc. etc. etc. What does that have to do with the turf at Heinz Field?

m pretty Sure PNC was built on Public funding, I dont think HS or college games are played on it are there?

Actually, there are.

And again I ask...what does it matter? Why is having a pretty field so god damn important? If the Steelers are winning (which they are) and people aren't getting hurt (which they aren't) then what is the problem?

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:26 »

And again I ask...what does it matter? Why is having a pretty field so god damn important? If the Steelers are winning (which they are) and people aren't getting hurt (which they aren't) then what is the problem?
Couldn't agree with you more.  This is my least favorite annual topic of discussion.  I'll care about the field surface when we start losing on it.

Maybe Pitt fans have a point, though.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 12:03 »

Couldn't agree with you more.  This is my least favorite annual topic of discussion.  I'll care about the field surface when we start losing on it.

Maybe Pitt fans have a point, though.
Therein lies the rub.

I don't think you'll ever be able to attribute winning or losing, exclusively or even mostly, to the condition of the field, so I don't think that's really a good factor to consider.

I think it really boils down to what "kind" of team is the organization looking to build.  IMO, Pittsburgh has shifted to more speed than brute power.  So, when the field (at least IMO) appears to offset or at least mitigate, one of the team's best offensive assets, that's when I start having a problem with it.

Plus, when a receiver makes a catch on FieldTurf and drags his feet, the ensuing rooster tail of rubber pellets as he goes out of bounds is like...cool...and stuff.  I'd get it just for that regardless of cost.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
ICFan
N00b

« Reply #28 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 12:38 »

I think the new turf was a strategic move to distract Ricky Williams.  It's funny that two of the major stories about tonight's game are about Ricky's comeback and the new grass at Heinz.  
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 12:45 »

So, when the field (at least IMO) appears to offset or at least mitigate, one of the team's best offensive assets, that's when I start having a problem with it.

Agreed.

Did we learn nothing from the stretched nets that the 80s Showtime Lakers had hanging in the Fabulous Forum?  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: