Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 17, 2014 at 00:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Heinz Turf  (Read 3650 times)
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #40 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:42 »

The Patsies were able to change their turf midseason. Why can't the Steelers get it done before Sunday's game? Maybe since there are only 2 home games left, they will just wait. But it absolutely has to be done.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #41 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:46 »

The Patsies were able to change their turf midseason. Why can't the Steelers get it done before Sunday's game?

HELO!!!11ASHHOLE>>>>>DEM CHEEP ASS RONIES ARENT EAVER GONIGN TOO SPRING THTA MUCH GRENBACKS TO PAY FOR A DESENT PLAYING FEILD<<<<<WEAR HAVE U BIEN????!!11 HAVE YOU NOT BEEN LISTENING PAY ATENTION BONEHEAD!!!!11

THANK YOU NVERY MUCH
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #42 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:46 »

Just read in the PPG....

The Steelers are investigating artificial surfaces, and they might install one at Heinz Field before the start of the 2008 season. They have been particularly interested in the new surface West Virginia University has this year. WVU installed a new generation of FieldTurf this summer called Duraspine at the cost of $901,152. The Steelers sent some of their people to WVU to take a look at the turf.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #43 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:58 »

6-0.
Dude, I love (and prefer) grass as much or moreso than anybody else.  But, taking that approach is clearly being results oriented.  That game was an embarassment and was in the balance simply because of the conditions of the field.  I didn't think it was possible, but it nearly cost them a game against the worst team in the league which could've easily put their playoff lives in jeopardy.  I don't know about anybody else, but I'd be fuming today if they would've been on the short end of the 3-0 stick.

Here's the absolute, undebatable bottom line.  

Pittsburgh needs to either install FieldTurf if they're going to continue to left every Tom, Dick and Harry Highschool and College squad play on the field or[/b] they rip the whole fuckin' thing out in the offseason and install a brand new natural grass/sod system that has the capability to drain like a motherfucker.  Then, treat the field and Stadium like it's Utopia.  Nobody, and I mean, nobody will be allowed to play on it save for the Steelers; along the lines of how the Packers treat Lambeau (as I understand it).  In between their games, they would have to have some sort of motorized cover that can be moved relatively quickly and would keep the field in pristine shape when it's not being played on.

That's it.  Those are their two choices.  And frankly, I'd be fine with either.  Something has to be done.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
mrblack66

« Reply #44 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 11:38 »

as I staggered to my seat last night, set my beer in the cupholder and lifted my head to take in the site of that field, i thought I made a wrong turn and ended up at the western penitentiary to the guard vs. the inmates.

what an embarrassment and even worse is that easily could have cost us a game against a poor opponent.  Its time to make the change, the 6 year grass experiment just aint working.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Winters in Holland

« Reply #45 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 13:59 »

Here's the absolute, undebatable bottom line.  

Pittsburgh needs to either install FieldTurf if they're going to continue to left every Tom, Dick and Harry Highschool and College squad play on the field or[/b] they rip the whole fuckin' thing out in the offseason and install a brand new natural grass/sod system that has the capability to drain like a motherfucker.  Then, treat the field and Stadium like it's Utopia.  Nobody, and I mean, nobody will be allowed to play on it save for the Steelers; along the lines of how the Packers treat Lambeau (as I understand it).  In between their games, they would have to have some sort of motorized cover that can be moved relatively quickly and would keep the field in pristine shape when it's not being played on.

That's it.  Those are their two choices.  And frankly, I'd be fine with either.  Something has to be done.
Choice #2 probably isn't realistic, because as DoctorJohnny mentioned on another board, part of the Steelers' ability to get public funding for the stadium was their concession that they would allow Pitt/High School teams to play on it.

Looks like option #1 or nothing.

Frankly, I don't see why h.s. teams want to play there.  Yeah, it's cool b/c the Steelers play there, but with so many seats, it ends up creating a fairly stagnant environment for the WPIAL championships, because there simply aren't enough people in the stadium to create a good atmosphere.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 21:08 »

The Heinz Field natural surface is (allegedly) supported by a geothermal heating system within which the team has invested millions and millions of bucks for the infrastructure. Pipes, coils, etc underneath the field.

It is one of the main reasons they've tried for so long to sustain this natural grass idea. It is really the biggest reason they cannot just up and make the change to field turf in the middle of the season ala New England in 2006. They can dig up the grass and lay down the synthetic sod but they'd be wasting this super-secret money pit of a heating system.

Hopefully the team comes to their senses and just tears it all out in the offseason. Get something better in there. At the very least the groundskeeper should be packing his bags.  

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
padgfrombf

« Reply #47 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 12:12 »

Thanks for that Y2J.  Not living in the 'Burgh, ya miss a few things on the way - Didn't know that the turf heaters were installed at Heinz.  Double yuk.

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: