Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 18:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pitt hoops  (Read 1290 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Nov 23, 2007 at 22:20 »

Got an early look at Pitt versus Buffalo tonight at the Pete.  Blowout win, here's a few observations:

-- Sam Young looks like the man. Let me rephrase-- Sam Young is going to have be the man for this team to do some real damage.

-- Gilbert Brown will be the man in two years.  Crazy leaping ability.

-- Pitt is going to struggle mightlily with teams with a strong inside presence.  I.e., they will lose to Georgetown by 20.  At least they will the first time they play.

-- Dixon's got 'em playing unselfish basketball, and they still work their asses off on D.  Difference this year looks to be that the D is predicated on speed rather than lumbering and bruising.

Tomorrow I'm going to the Pitt football game at 12, then the Pens at 7.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the football Panthers concede more points tomorrow than the basketball Panthers did tonight.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 13:01 »

Sam Young looks like the man. Let me rephrase-- Sam Young is going to have be the man for this team to do some real damage.

Nothing wrong with that. If you've got a first team conference player then you feed him and let him do his thing. Young is a gaddam beast and not many teams nationwide have an answer for him athletically. He's very good and great teams need their good guys to be great. Good?

Gilbert Brown will be the man in two years. Crazy leaping ability.

He put on a dunking exhibition in the MS Valley State game I attended. I don't think he missed a shot all night. He still has to work on his after-dunk dance...throw in a little shovel thing like the old fatass Gilbert Brown from the Packers did after sacks.

Pitt is going to struggle mightlily with teams with a strong inside presence. I.e., they will lose to Georgetown by 20.

GTown is the best team in the country but they rarely blow people out. The hot shooters can beat a good big man and that's their only chance unless they get Hibbert in terrible foul trouble.

Nothing wrong with being inferior to the Hoyas. Every team is. On paper.

The guy who has been killing it is Wanamaker the freshman from Philly. 6'5" shooter that doesnt turn it over. And they are playing him at PG. If he picks it up well enough on defense that Dixon is able to move him there full-time then look the hell out. He'll be a star. Pitt hasnt had a pair of freshmen like Wanamaker and Blair in a long long time.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the football Panthers concede more points tomorrow than the basketball Panthers did tonight.

What a pathetic display. And that's just on the field. Great atmosphere, huh? Nobody goes. The playing field is shit. Music stinks. Cheerleaders have fat ankles.  

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 25, 2007 at 17:15 »

He put on a dunking exhibition in the MS Valley State game I attended. fatass Gilbert Brown from the Packers did after sacks.
He did against Buffalo too.  One on an alley-oop, one strong power move on the baseline where he took off and just blew over two guys for a two-hander.  Reminds me of Rudy Gay.

I still think they can be outmuscled down low, however.  See below on Blair, Dejuan.

Pitt hasnt had a pair of freshmen like Wanamaker and Blair in a long long time.

Pa Od (who goes to about every home game, courtesy of the Antiguas) really likes Wanamaker too.  

Blair has to learn to get his hands up on defense.  He could also benefit from shedding a little baby fat.  He's a freshman so I won't be too hard on his performance, except to say after going up about 12 feet on the opening tip, he couldn't get over some plodding 6-9 german dude who couldn't jump out of a puddle of pee.

Great atmosphere, huh? Nobody goes. The playing field is shit. Music stinks.

Not to mention that gay-ass panther roar they play about every thirty seconds.  "South Florida, first and goal from the 3.  RAWWWWWWR!!"

Anthony Morelli Sr. told me the other day, he was a big fan of the atmosphere at the Gateway-CC final.  As for the Gateway kicker, poor kid, his holder let the ball slide just before the kick and he booted it into the ass of one of his lineman.

Thoughts on Pryor?

Cheerleaders have fat ankles.

When I was a kid, and Pitt mattered, everytime they'd show the cheerleaders my dad would chant, "Pitt Cheerleaders... are fat!"  Needless to say it's been in circulation ever since.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 10:54 »

I managed to get season tickets to Pitt hoops this season and have gone to most of the games.

This really is a different team.  I actually like their chances.  As noted, the biggest weakness will be against a strong inside game.  Blair's real strong but he is a freshman and will be giving up a bit of height, but maybe the ability to push the tall guys around will help.  Still going to wait to see what they can do against some real competition before I begin to think about how far they'll go.

Sam Young is a monster.  Just keep feeding him the ball.

And the D they're playing?  going for steals as opposed to the slow half court D?  they look fast and athletic enough to keep it going.

The Buffalo game was a different atmosphere without the student section.  Luckily they didn't need a home crowd advantage.

As for Pitt football, don't know what the answer is there.  Maybe if they start winning people will go to the games.  I let my season tickets lapse a couple of years ago.  It wasn't worth the hassle and with Steeler games, I didn't need to be at Heinz field that often.

Never dated a Pitt cheerleader but did date a member of the dance squad way back when.  Some of those girls look to be a bit on the anorexic side.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:16 »

I managed to get season tickets to Pitt hoops this season and have gone to most of the games.

What section?

And the D they're playing? going for steals as opposed to the slow half court D? they look fast and athletic enough to keep it going.

I meant to comment on this.  Totally different style of D from the Kendall/Gray/Troutman days.  Quick as hell, trapping, forcing the dribble out to the top of the key.  We didn't need to press Buffalo but I look forward to seeing the full-court in effect, should be monster.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:29 »

What section?
104.  got them with my dad and brother.  We should be splitting them, but I've gotten to go to most of the games ceacuse I'm here in Oakland and they work/live out in the South Hills.

And the D they're playing? going for steals as opposed to the slow half court D? they look fast and athletic enough to keep it going.

I meant to comment on this.  Totally different style of D from the Kendall/Gray/Troutman days.  Quick as hell, trapping, forcing the dribble out to the top of the key.  We didn't need to press Buffalo but I look forward to seeing the full-court in effect, should be monster.

The part that worries me is that they've scored sooo many transition points against not great competition that I haven't seen much of the half court offense.  I hope they still have one when the transition points aren't as easy.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:32 »

104.  got them with my dad and brother.  We should be splitting them, but I've gotten to go to most of the games ceacuse I'm here in Oakland and they work/live out in the South Hills.

Cool.  We're always in 120 or 118.  Next time I'm back I'll give you a holler and I'll treat ya to a soda or bottled water at the effing teetotal Pete.

I'm wotking on tickets for Dec. 20 versus Puke at MSG.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 11:52 »

104.  got them with my dad and brother.  We should be splitting them, but I've gotten to go to most of the games ceacuse I'm here in Oakland and they work/live out in the South Hills.

Cool.  We're always in 120 or 118.  Next time I'm back I'll give you a holler and I'll treat ya to a soda or bottled water at the effing teetotal Pete.

I'm wotking on tickets for Dec. 20 versus Puke at MSG.
First, we drink pop here, not soda. I managed six years up in Massachusetts without giving in on that.

Second, I ask every game if I can get some vodka in my pepsi.  I'm wondering how long until that joke gets old.  I will say, it hasn't yet for me at least.

I haven't been in MSG for a basketball game since the Big East Championships waay back in 91.  Know a couple of people going to the game, but I can't get out there.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26, 2007 at 12:20 »

First, we drink pop here, not soda. I managed six years up in Massachusetts without giving in on that.

Second, I ask every game if I can get some vodka in my pepsi.  I'm wondering how long until that joke gets old.  I will say, it hasn't yet for me at least.

Pop, right.  20 years away has cost me almost all my pittsburghese.

As for the vodka line, I'm not sure the all the vendors at the Pete would even get it.  The kid who served me a tray of broken nachos with a half-portion of cold cheese, forgetting to give me change on a $20 couldn't have been older than 13.
« Last Edit: Nov 26, 2007 at 12:21 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: