Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 00:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: play calling  (Read 3068 times)
jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Nov 27, 2007 at 02:01 »

i know this has been a recurrent thread, but..............how many times am I going to see FWP roll up the front to be stopped for a loss or at best, a one or two yard gain?  IT'S NOT WORKING, HE'S NOT JEROME BETTIS you fucking retards......other that that, tyrone carter looked really good tonight.  too bad it was against the worst offence in the league.  although it was with, and i'm not one to buy into this but, the conditions that were less that favorable either way so i guess i am one buy into this....i love how that one punt landed like a tiger woods chip shot.  surprised there was no backspin on that.  Either way, i can't believe we BARELY beat the dolphins with :20 seconds left in the game

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 07:51 »

If the Dolphin receivers could catch, they would have won that game.

I was cringing waiting for Ginn to catch an out pattern and go 65 yard for a TD.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
ICFan
N00b

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 08:24 »

I like how we ran slow developing run plays with pulling guards when the footing was absolutely terrible.  Didn't make much sense to me.  

Willie could have had a hell of alot more yards last night if we just put a hat on a hat.
mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 08:26 »

Najeh Davenport should not be getting the ball on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, matter of fact I question where he should get it at all.

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
Greygrizzly
N00b

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:14 »

JASONIC
i know this has been a recurrent thread, but..............how many times am I going to see FWP roll up the front to be stopped for a loss or at best, a one or two yard gain? IT'S NOT WORKING, HE'S NOT JEROME BETTIS you fucking retards......

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that is discusted with the offense. The play calling and use of personel.
If we don't fix our problems now we will not be able to beat the better AFC teams in the playoffs.  
Greygrizzly
N00b

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:17 »

Najeh Davenport should not be getting the ball on 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1, matter of fact I question where he should get it at all.
I disagree. Davenport gets yards when Wilie parker doesn't. Davenport is more like the prototypical Steeler tailback. He should be starting because he is big enough to wear down defenses and parker should be brought in as a change of pace back.
mzimmerman81
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:23 »

I disagree. Davenport gets yards when Wilie parker doesn't. Davenport is more like the prototypical Steeler tailback. He should be starting because he is big enough to wear down defenses and parker should be brought in as a change of pace back.
Ummmm

No

2007 MGS Bracket Challenge Winner
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:40 »

Ummmm

No
I agree with Zimm on this point as well. Dookie is not at all a JB clone. He goes down on the first hit as often as any small back I have seen. If you are wanting a JB clone, which I don't necessarily agree with, DARFT Owen Schmitt from WVU. Very powerful runner. I think FWP can do the job with a decent O-Line. Hell look at what he has done with a sub par O-Line.

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 09:59 »

I agree with grizz and ICfan.

Davenport has had a higher YPC and overall, has been more effective than Willie Parker over the past few weeks.

When the line is blocking well, Parker will be more effective, but when they're not, Davenport will be, IMO.

Talk about going down and not being able to break tackles- that to me, is the epitomy of Willie Parker.  Then at times when he loses his footing, he really doesn't need tackled at all.

Granted, I think Parker is a very good back, but I also think it would benefit the Steelers' lately-nonexistant running game to see what would happen if they started Davenport and brought Parker in as the change of pace back.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
jclaywell18
Been pimpin, since been pimpin, since been pimpin
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 10:09 »

i know this has been a recurrent thread, but..............how many times am I going to see FWP roll up the front to be stopped for a loss or at best, a one or two yard gain?  IT'S NOT WORKING, HE'S NOT JEROME BETTIS you fucking retards......

A quote from Ben per ESPN:

"Early in the game, you take the chances but late, going into those last two series, I told Bruce [offensive coordinator Bruce Arians] and I told Coach Tomlin to let me throw," he said. "I can win the game. We can get it down the field. I have confidence in my line, my receivers and you see the last drive, we did that. We threw the ball. Hopefully, it just shows all the people who say we have to run the ball to win that we can throw the ball, too.''

I don't understand why it took BA until the last drive to let Ben throw the damn ball. Obviously Willie up the gut was not working, and by the 4th quarter ben had only 2 incomplete passes. 2..that's it, so it was pretty effective. I hate it when we starting beating a dead horse by running for no reason when it isn't working. I understand this is Steelers football and that's what we do, but when it's not working, throw in a wrinkle and spread the field a little bit, especially on a night when your qb is setting a record for highest completion percentage in horrid conditions.  

I'm just gonna walk this off....

Gold jacket, green jacket..who gives a shit
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: