Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 27, 2014 at 18:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: play calling  (Read 3136 times)
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 12:59 »

an apology for double posting what I wrote on the Pirates board but...

Najeh is a decent change of pace back. His big runs are not as a third down back. He doesn't get out real well as an outlet receiver and he is horrible at picking up the blitz. Ok. he isn't horrible but he is nowhere as good as Veron Haynes was.

As bad as the offense looked overall in yetsreday's game, I have no doubt there would have been more points if Najeh didn't play. Yes DJF, I agree:

worst.short.yardage.b ack.ever.

BTW 3rd and 1 and the Steelers were actually running the ball well. I said to my dad, they should run here. Wait, they should run Willie here. I saw Davenport come in and said, well, maybe they'll try again on 4th down with Willie. No such luck.

Other than a couple plays here and there and the Davenport usage, I didn't have all that much of a problem with a bunch of the play calling.  I usually like to use the WRs on deep routes more when the field is crappy because of the idea that THEY know where they're going and the DBs don't.  But...the running game actually looked better than it has been and I think the field was so much of a sponge, the WRs couldn't get enough speed to separate  and take advantage.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 13:43 »

Najeh is a decent change of pace back. His big runs are not as a third down back.

What he said...what I said...what we can all say

the WRs couldn't get enough speed to separate and take advantage.

The absence of one SanAntonio Holmes certainly didn't help.

My problem with the playcalling is the predictability.  As in, in the first quarter, I was calling the formation, motion by WR/TE, and the play we were going to run based on that--and I was pretty close.  Missed a few times on the direction of the play, but that was about it.  If a schmoe like I can figure it out, then certainly a pro defense can.  

Let me continue with my rant about the role of coaching and its importance.  Great coaches do not come up with great schemes.  They come up with schemes that put the talent they have in the best position to win.  They can "flex" the scheme according to the players' abilities.  We do not have an offensive line that can pound it vs. 8 in the box and have a lot of success, so you'd better come up with something other than run-run-pass-run on 4th down.  We do not have an oline that picks up the blitz well, so you'd better scrap the empty set and keep from getting into 3rd and 5+, unless you're going to throw short routes and 3-step drops.

And BTW, on 3rd and 1, why not PAP and throw a bomb?  That's a time when I feel we should use play-action, but rarely do.

The other thing that great coaches do--position coaches in particular--is teach great technique.  Our current Oline certainly doesn't have it.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 13:55 »

Well, the stats may show that he is a poor short yardage back, but the stats also show that he's had a higher YPC over the past few weeks than Parker.

Don't get me wrong Parker >>>>> Davenport,

but the run game is struggling enough- especially against teams horrible at defending against it- that I don't think it would be too awful to start Davenport, and use Willie more on 3rd downs, and then switch to him almost entirely in the 2nd half.

People get hung up on the idea of Davenport "starting", but the reality is that Parker would still be getting most of the carries.

Frankly, going out with the same exact game plan as before is a recipe for an early playoff exit.  Parker has been relatively shut down ground-wise against teams like Denver, NYJets, and Miami, who each had the worst respective run defense in the league at the time of the game.  Granted, a lot of that is on the O-line, but it wouldn't hurt to try switching up the repetitions a bit, especially since Najei had a higher YPC in most of those games.

.WiH.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2007 at 13:56 by Winters in Holland » Logged

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 15:08 »

Hell, if Carey Davis did anything at all well, I'd have half a mind to see what we could get outta the Chiefs for #44.
C'mon man, otis just got through converting his Huntley jersey to a #44.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 17:34 »

the stats also show that he's had a higher YPC over the past few weeks than Parker.

Because he consistently picks up 8 on third and 10.  

Garbage time yards.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 20:53 »

To beat the dead horse a little further, last night convinced me that Dookie should never get the short yardage carries.  Did you see the replay on that 4th and 1?  Dookie got the ball, headed toward the hole, but instead of powering through to get the yard, he does this weird turn backwards and fall thing without any real contact.  There was a guy at his feet but he made no effort to step over him.

Completely unreliable.  Hell, we'd be better off putting batch in at QB and let Ben take the run.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 08:13 »

Davenport's a weird back.

He's big, yet he's no inside runner.

He's strong, and while he can breeze past a single tackler in space like he's Jim Brown, he's on the other end of the spectrum (i.e., inept) whenever he's stacked up in traffic, and can get zero push.

He's a valuable player to have, I think, because the occassional big play is worth it.

My question, given his attributes -- when are we going to turn him into a TE? He can catch well and DBs, and sometimes even LBs, can't bring him down in the open field. Why not?
« Last Edit: Nov 28, 2007 at 08:14 by Hercules50. » Logged
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 10:03 »

That's a good question, I've wondered the same thing.

He certainly can't be any WORSE than Tuman, and he probably blocks better than Spaeth.  I wouldn't mind seeing BA use him in a 3 TE set....

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Cogitobsw

« Reply #28 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 10:53 »

Why did Ariens call a pass play at the end of the game right before the field goal attempt?? Ben was almost sacked and barely made it back to the line of scrimage. That was a terrible call, why not run in to set-up a better field goal attempt and run down the clock down since the dolphins were out of timeouts. Kornheiser and Jaws said this was a bad call too.
I disagree . . . given the condition of the field, even an PAT length FG attempt could be an adventure . . . there were no guarantees of a good snap, a good hold, and a sure footed kicker being able to make that kick . . . I think the pass play was a good idea as short passes seemed to be the only thing working all night long . . . I believe the thought was to try to make a short pass for a TD and avoid what could be an adventure in the kicking game.

I bet the last thing communicated to Ben was don't turn over the ball, don't make a risky throw, thus why he held on so long (but admittedly, I don't know why he held the ball so long the rest of the game).

Cogito Ergo Sum
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 14:15 »

IMO, what Ben should've done on the last play is try to find the best patch of grass (HA!!) 7-10 yards back from the LOS and try to take a knee in front of it, setting up Reed in the best possible spot.

I liked the passing play call when they crossed into the RZ, but when they got down inside the 10 or 5, no way do I have Ben drop back and possibly lose the ball in any number of ways.  I'll take my chances with them trying to kick the FG in those conditions over Ben trying to make a play in it.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: