Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 18:28 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dolpins' "Max Protect" Package  (Read 1854 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Nov 27, 2007 at 10:02 »

The Dolphins were alarmingly effective last night when they left 8 guys into block, and only had 2 men run routes.  Granted, had the Steelers been running a zone defense instead of man up, I think this could've been countered, but with our O-line incapable of keeping anyone out of Ben's face lately...

...is this something we should run some of over the next few weeks?

In addition to better protection, the other pro is that it simplifies Ben's decision making.  Neither guy open?  Tuck it and run.

The con is that max protect has the pocket more encircle the QB, providing less chances for Ben to run if both guys are covered.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
Puma170
Bleedin' Black and Gold behind enemy lines

« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 10:44 »

I think this would work if Hines and Santanio are in since they seem to be able to make plays in space...

It is an interesting thought.  

PUMA
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 11:14 »

W.I.H. :

That's not a bad thought. Of course, such a game plan is predicating on some of those players being able to block. Many of ours apparently can't.

Case in point, both our TE's -- Miller and Spaeth. Miller is merely an adequate blocker against non-elite talent, and Spaeth (so far) is exceptionally horrible.

Mahan can't block anyone one-on-one. Colon isn't very good either.

Maybe we can put in Farrior and Harrison as extra blockers. They might actually do better. I'm not even kidding.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 12:33 »

Maybe we can put in Farrior and Harrison as extra blockers. They might actually do better. I'm not even kidding.

Silverback would make Vrabel look like a pansy.

Better than max protect, how about throw a three-step drop into the game plan?  How about a slant pattern or a screen, and I don't mean on 3 and 20?  Or maybe even throw it on first or second down, instead of waiting until 3 and 5 and going empty set, so that the defense knows what's coming and brings the house?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Winters in Holland

« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 13:49 »

SLANT PATTERNS!

Is it just me, or are there simply NO slant patterns in the Steelers' play book?

During the games in which I watch teams like Green Bay and New England put on passing clinics, they are LOADED with slant patterns.

The idea is simple:  if a team is blitzing their LBs, that's automatically going to create a temporary void immediately behind the line of attack.  A slant route exploits that void by getting receivers into that area quickly.

Good offensive teams do this all the time as one of three methods to counter a strong blitz, the other being screens and draws.

I could probably count on one hand the amount of quick slants I have seen called by BA this season...

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 15:46 »

SLANT PATTERNS!

Is it just me, or are there simply NO slant patterns in the Steelers' play book?

unless I'm wrong they do have one slant play.  It's the play that Hines scored about a gazillion TDs on in the past couple of seasons.

But, I haven't seen it yet this year and it seems that they only run it when they're inside the ten.
blurjose
N00b

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 15:49 »

The last year I remember the Steelers utilizing slants consistently and effectively was their SB year in 1995 I think. I remember Thigpen and Mills catching a lot of slants that season.

Who was the OC that year? Gailey? Erhardt?
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 17:39 »

The only game that I saw us use quick hitters and slants was 2nd half vs. Denver.  I keep referring to this game, but I think it was clearly an example of what this offense can do with the proper adjustments.

Who was the OC that year? Gailey? Erhardt?

Erhardt was the OC, Gailey was the WR coach.  BUT, Gailey was calling most of the plays in the playoffs & the SB.  You can hear Cowher talking on the headset on the highlight film, "Whaddya wanna do Chan?"

BTW, Gailey is currently available!   oo)  

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 17:48 »

BTW, Gailey is currently available!   oo)
I'm really starting to dislike Arians; the post from padg where he pointed out the results of BA's tenure in Cleveland made me all of a sudden realize, this guy ain't going to cut it in the long run.  Sure, he's good buds with Ben, sure, we wanted some continuity between the old staff and the new; but if things continue the way they are with the offense and he still has a job next year, I'm'a be pist.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
jcharding

« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2007 at 18:05 »

I think the problem with using a lot of slants against current defenses is that zone blitzing is specifically designed to take away slants.  A whole lot of teams have integrated zone blitzes into their defenses.  That would theoretically make a slant based offense a little dicey.

Of course some teams do use slants a lot, so it can be done, but by and large we have never used (except for the Andre Hastings/Yancey Thigpen era) a lot of 3 step drops or many other rhythm based/ west-coast offense principles.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: