Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 23, 2014 at 13:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Max Starks  (Read 2402 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 14:30 »

Max looked ugly at LT in preseason, but that's not to say he can't step up.  If Marvel were healthy and we could survive a shuffle, what about everyone taking a step left?

LT - Max
LG - Faneca
C - Simmons
RG - Colon
RT - Marvel

You know, the more I think about it, the more I believe the offensive line should look like this next year:

*Precursor - either extend Starks to a modest, backup type deal or restructure Smith.  Whoever's left standing gets to compete for the starting RT spot with Colon.  Loser of that one plays back up tackle.

LT - R1 Rook - Michael Oher
LG - FA - DeMulling?  Womack?  Whatever.
OC - R2 Rook - Steve Justice or Cody Wallace
LG - Simmons/Mahan slapfight to the death for starter
RT - Smith or Starks/Colon best 4 out of 7 Rochambo for starter

Yeah, it's all new from the middle left (with good reason), but an experienced vet in the middle of the two rooks will help to offset the learning curve.

Some big changes just need to be made.  Enough with the band-aid approach.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 14:34 »

Forgot to mention, as to the line the rest of the year, I think they need to just pick a group and ride it out (injuries aside).  IMO, they can't really be juggling them in Week 13.  Hope that they gel akin to the '05 bunch down the stretch when it matters most.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 16:18 »

Some big changes just need to be made. Enough with the band-aid approach.

I think that we can all agree on that.  Any suggestions for this season are merely to help us make the playoffs, and perhaps keep from getting Ben and Willie absolutely killed back there.  Offseason is where something needs to happen.

I can barely abide the thought of Simmons as a starter again.  He got stood up on the first play from scrimmage Mon. night.  I know that you can't just blow people out every play, but my gosh, you shouldn't let yourself get pushed back into the play, either.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 17:33 »

Still trying to figure out the why of Simmons.  He should be better than this.  Great frosh season; diabetes and the knee hampered him; has been up and down, wildly, ever since.  At 6'3", he's Mahan's height, plus 15#, looks massive where Mahan looks adequate, and so I surmise he could anchor the midde better... EXCEPT that if he's getting rocked by DTs at RG, he'll get stoned by bigger NTs in the 3-4.  I almost think it's a matter of technique, but I can't see what's going on close up.

Philip is smaller than Mahan by 2" but +5#, which is a positive weight distribution IMO: low and thick is better at OC.  Tall guys have the wrong leverage.  Stapleton may have nice technique, but at 285# he's not playing C for anyone in a PBS; maybe a job in a ZBS like Denver.  Hoping one of Philip or Stapleton pushes Mahan to OG, or better yet, OG/C backup.

Colon's 6'3" and 315#, a height-weight ringer for Simmons.  I think he's been adequate to above average at RT, but you can't tell me that he's not better suited to OG, and isn't better than Simmons.

Starks prolly won't be shit at LT once he plays on real turf.  He's proto RT.  I agree with a small exension for Max.

Faneca is neither as bad nor as good as people tend to think.  His best years are past, but he's still a player.  More importantly, he's a moot point, as in gone via FA.

Kemo is 6'3" and 344#; why not switch him to DT?  If we run a 4-3 front, slide him alongside Hamp.  Jesus almighty.

Draft:

AJ says Oher, I say Chris Williams.  I could deal with either, frankly.  Get some talent in the OC and OG spots, too.  Cut the deadwood.  If that means Tomlin has to fuck over Mahan, then fuck over ya boy Mahan, Mikey.  I think three OL draft spots is optimal, but I have a feeling we only go 2.  Not sure why, just do.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Nov 28, 2007 at 18:57 »

I don't have faith that Colbert will pick 3 straight OL, even if the value is there.

I see him picking either DL in round 2, or a WR/RB in round 2 or 3.

I don't care as long as whatever OLinemen drafted by Colbert work out.

Or we find some gem OL in FA. I just don't think that FA will bring us much options, what with the cap creeping up for all teams, and us needing to blow a wad to sing Ben.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 09:31 »

I almost think it's a matter of technique

And there's the problem!  

At times, especially when he's pulling, Simmons looks like he could be a beast.  He just looks zoned in and ready to take it to someone.  At other times, especially with a man head-up, he looks slow of the ball and very sloppy, kind of flops around on the ground.  I think it's about a lack of focus and concentration, which causes lapses in technique.  That's pretty heavy analysis from guy sitting in front of the TV, but just my thoughts.

What bothers me about Colon is a lack of tenacity.  He seems to lose his block a lot, where staying with the guy could result in a big run or a big play.  Again, part of that is lack of focus/intensity.  You may be able to correct that with Colon, but Simmons has had time to get his crap straight, and it hasn't seemed to help.

Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 11:00 »

Interesting thread!

I am no different in that I think our O-Line stinks, and there's not a star player in the bunch. However, I'm a little surprised that Simmons is getting so much of the ire.

I could totally be wrong, and far be it from me to analyze OL play from the couch. That said, I see Simmons do some pretty damn athletic stuff as often as I see him whiff -- and note that I'm not saying Simmons is a good player, just that he may be more in the average category.

I think the culprits on the line are Mahan, big time, and Colon. To a lesser extent Faneca, and then Simmons. Starks has played really well for stretches, but it seems like each December he has a habit of turning into a 40-year-old.

But I think I'm seeing Simmons outplay Faneca, but again, it's hard to know what the hell is going on because some plays are so busted you don't know which lineman is scrambling to cover up another's blown assignment.

I guess this is splitting hairs, because they're none of them great and as a unit, they stink. And I for one see no fixes here, this season. I was hoping we would have moved Simmons to C and Colon to RG with Starks at RT, but that had to happen from the start. Moving Simmons to C now, just to get that turd Mahan off the field, probably would be worse than status quo.
jburghfan
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 11:04 »

Don't be deceived.....it helped Starks thay Taylor had to play in shoes that weighed 10lbs each....

Max is used to playing with lead boots......
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 12:58 »

Don't be deceived.....it helped Starks thay Taylor had to play in shoes that weighed 10lbs each....

Max is used to playing with lead boots......
I'm sorry, I meant to say that Smith has played well for stretches, etc., but wrote Starks.

With the collective suckitude, it's hard to tell the O-linemen apart, anyway!

Your point about Starks vs. Miami is completely right, I think.
« Last Edit: Nov 29, 2007 at 12:59 by Hercules50. » Logged
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 13:08 »

Your point about Starks vs. Miami is completely right, I think.

My encouragement about Starks stems from the fact that he played well Mon. night and in the earlier game where he entered at LT.

I see Simmons do some pretty damn athletic stuff as often as I see him whiff

Wouldn't disagree with that at all.  He can pull and does a great job out in space.  But that's what causes my frustration.  If he's that athletic, why can't he stay in front of his man on pass blocks?  Why is he falling down trying to protect the QB?  Why can't he get any movement at the POA--because he's weak and slow?  If he's that slow of the ball then I don't understand how he can pull so well.

And it may not be everyone's ire.  May just be me, as I tend to watch him a lot.

As for Mahan, at the beginning I thought maybe he was a pretty good, "scrappy" type of player.  Now I think they should put him on the scrap heap.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: