Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 22, 2014 at 01:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Max Starks  (Read 2232 times)
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 13:14 »

I hear you, Preach.

I did think Starks did play decently earlier in the year (certainly as well or better than Colon has, who is a big disappointment this year, seems to me). I think his Miami performance is harder to judge, but at least he seemed to make decent decisions (when to help a double-team, when to take on an edge blitzer).

And I agree with you on Simmons. Frustrating watching him, because at times he looks like Dermontti Dawsom (forgive the blasphemy) on the pull but then gets tossed aside easily other times.

And again, it wasn't that I was disagreeing with everyone about Simmons, just that since even though I try to watch the O-linemen, I don't get a good read on them on many plays, and it seems like Simmons isn't our biggest problem.

One more point, regarding the recent rash of sacks: Either our O-line really is terrible, or teams have figured out how to deal with Ben's tendency to hold the ball and wait for the wide-open guy down field. It could be a scheme thing. (Then again, the terrible run-blocking is as much a concern as the pass-blocking.)

jcharding
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 10:19 »

Starks had another above average game last night.  I wish more and more than we hadn't thrown all that stupid coin at Simmons.  Starks may be a better investment... and guessing on two lineman may be more than we can take cap-wise.

I don't need no stinking avatar!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 10:38 »

At the least, Starks is proving to be a very important backup.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
padgfrombf

« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 11:21 »

Starks becomes a really important option when the next guy in line is Trai Essex.

Certainly Simmons can pull way better than Kemo, and keeping him in helps the Steelers to use all of their running play options.  But he ends up being such a liability in pass-pro and straight line blocking that it's an overall liability.

It isn't that Simmons is worse than, say, Todd Fordham.  He does a few things well.  It's just that on more than a few plays, he looks just stunningly bad, and I can't quite figure out whether he is clueless, or whether the playcall is asking Simmons to do something that is beyond him.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 12:07 »

Maybe the thing with Simmons is that he would be fine to have on an otherwise good line; but when he's flanked by mediocre players, his weaknesses stand out all the more?

Which isn't to say he'd be great in the right situation, just that he wouldn't bring a good line down.  
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 12:31 »

At the least, Starks is proving to be a very important backup.

That's true, but the question will be can we keep him here for backup money.  Got to figure he's good enough to start for somebody, or at least somebody will think he's good enough to start for them.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 12:39 »

And, the fact is the past two games were perfect for him weather-wise.  didn't have to worry about a speed rush and could use his size and power to his advantage.  We might not see the same success in a dome.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 14:28 »

And, the fact is the past two games were perfect for him weather-wise.  didn't have to worry about a speed rush and could use his size and power to his advantage.  We might not see the same success in a dome.
...or this week on FieldTurf.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
BleedGreen710
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 17:24 »

Bingo on the conditions.  I have been very impressed with Starks the last two weeks, and I hope to god that it is him actually playing well.  However, I really do agree that field turf may exploit his weaknesses again.  The speed rush is Max Starks' nemesis.  He isn't a big fan of it.  He hates the speed rush.  On a scale of 1-10, 1 being him hating the speed rush, and 10 him loving it, he is definitely around a 1.9.  According to my calculations, so give or take a little.

"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 3rd round draft pick.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: