Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 22, 2014 at 18:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Dolpins' "Max Protect" Package  (Read 1890 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 13:22 »

Exactly.  The formation was effective, and the blockers/Beck did their jobs well, but the WR's failed to execute the simple act of catching the ball on multiple occasions.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2007 at 13:49 »

Nada. Once again they had 110 passing yards, gave up 4 sacks, converted 25% of 3rd downs(mostly from a max protect scheme), while managing to score zero points. "Alarmingly effective" does not come to mind when thinking about what the Fins did when in max protect mode.

I dunno who drove the barbed wire post up your rectum, friend.

What I found "alarmingly effective" about their max protect package is this:

1)  It gave Beck all day to pass.

2)  Their completion % was higher in those situations than "regular" pass plays.

3)  Had the Dolphins' receivers not dropped a lot of HUGE passes, it would've been more effective still, and the Steelers might be 7-4 right now instead of 8-3.

You can't blame dropped balls on the ineffectiveness of a formation.

.WiH.
No barbed wire here...its just my humble opinion that the means equal the end. They ended up with squat ergo they did squat. He had a couple of good throws and the receivers did find some space here and there, but they did give up all 4 sacks in the second half when they used that formation more. So you can't say it provided him much more time. And the, if the receivers caught the ball thing is akin to the , what if Barry Foster ran the correct route on 4th and goal from the 3 in the '94 AFCC thing. But you are right, they could have easily been 7-4 after that game.

Maybe all of us watching the suckage that is the 2007-8 Pittsburgh Steeler OL too much has warped our reality of what good pass pro is. Even the 0-10 Dolphins looked good against us. Same with every shitty DL they have faced.

And you can't compare what the Fins and what the Pats would do with that formation. The Pats can definately get just Moss and Stallworth open in that formation on anybody and you know that bastard Brady will get it to the open guy. Much different personnel, that Lebeau would have to call a different game. While I am hopeful the Steelers win in NE, I certainly don't expect it. If BR plays lights out and FWP does too, and the OL protects, and Reed hits some FG's, and ST plays well, Tomlin doesn't make a bad challenge, Troy finally makes a pick 6, the D holds them at 28 or under, Golden Boy goes down, and the cow jumps over the moon then its possible they might have a definate maybe's chance of winning.
bamf16
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Nov 30, 2007 at 07:03 »

Tomlin doesn't make a bad challenge
Excellent point.  I believe now he is 0 for 5, and 3 of those if memory serves had no shot from the get go.

No one wants to hear about the labor pains, they just want to see the baby.
--Lou Brock
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: