Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 13:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WTF is up with this board?  (Read 949 times)
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« on: Dec 01, 2007 at 21:17 »

Smith out, Pola out, Holmes out.  

I see more talk about rookies in training camp.

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 21:31 »

This has been a weird year.  For me, there just isn't much to talk about in regards to the Steelers.  Those guys are all out, but the Bengals blow this year.  If we lose, even without those three, it'd be an upset.

I'd guess that most Steeler fans are either cautiously optimistic or slightly pessimistic about this team.  They're 8-3 with no real good wins and a couple of bad losses.  There's probably more to talk about when we're really good or really bad (and by really bad, I mean not making the playoffs like last year).

It also doesn't help that the Pats are undefeated and taking up all the news coverage.  Just an under-the-radar season for us.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2007 at 22:39 »

Honestly, I think it's almost become an issue of it doesn't matter because of the Patriots.  As admirable as the Eagles played them last week, I don't see them losing this season.  I'm not sure who else is going to come close.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
padgfrombf

« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 14:13 »

I'm not one of the long term MGS'ers, but just offering something, 'cause the same thing sorta has occurred over at my home BSG board as well:

The Steelers' strengths and weaknesses are pretty clearly defined (right side of O-line and ST coverage), and it seems to be the same every week.  If Tomlin/Arians tried something different (e.g., Kemo at RG, etc.) over the course of the season, then there'd be a lot of discussion, but what you see in Week 12 is the same as Week 3.  BTW, coverage for defensive injuries has been admirable to date.

Anyway, I don't want to just cut and paste the same friggin' text every week and thus just don't post as often.

The PS also seem to have a pretty businesslike locker room after Porter left.  Maybe if the league required James Harrison to be miked 24/7 in his contract, you'd get some entertainment.  Big Ben refuses to gripe about his pass-pro (contract negotiations?), Fast Willie only hints occasionally about the enemy in the backfield, and the staff has been pretty quiet since the Steelers put a figurative v-chip in Zeirlein's computer.

And yunz are right about this being a weird year.  It has the same feeling as 2000, when the PS finished 9-7 and almost made the playoffs, but I didn't really care much because they obviously didn't quite have the horses that year.
« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2007 at 14:19 by padgfrombf » Logged
VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 15:34 »

Yeah, I agree it's tough to get excited with the line problems etc...but it looks like we're gonna win the division, specially w/ AZ up 14-0 on the Stains.  

Also, 05 taught me to never give up on this team.  I thought the Colts were unbeatable that year, much like the Pats this year.  

I am looking forward to shit stomping some bungholes recievers tonight!

http://pit.scout.com/2/706595.html?refid=4...140813162&ATT=5

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
padgfrombf

« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 11:00 »

Also, 05 taught me to never give up on this team.  I thought the Colts were unbeatable that year, much like the Pats this year.  

No, I agree, that's why the prime directive is to make the playoffs, then worry about the rest of it.  As unworldly as the Pats look (and though it's not something that I necessarily wish for), they are one cold-cocked Tom Brady from becoming beatable.

Bengals receivers gave up last night long before Carter and Smith could have them looking out of their helmet earholes.

Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 11:24 »

Also, 05 taught me to never give up on this team.  I thought the Colts were unbeatable that year, much like the Pats this year. 

No, I agree, that's why the prime directive is to make the playoffs, then worry about the rest of it.  As unworldly as the Pats look (and though it's not something that I necessarily wish for), they are one cold-cocked Tom Brady from becoming beatable.

Bengals receivers gave up last night long before Carter and Smith could have them looking out of their helmet earholes.
We definitely have a shot, of course. But a message board is all about talking about the team, warts and all.

As for the playoffs: the only team that scares me is the Patriots. I would feel confident going into a game against Indy, even in the dome, I really do.

And the Patriots are awesome. The best team I've seen for several years. But they're hardly beatable. Their offense feeds off the attention that Randy Moss attracts. But I'm convinced that Moss does not enjoy the "contact" part of the sport.

Any defense that can find a way to stop Moss (and several have, so it's doable if you want to make that the priority) AND stop Welker from killing you on underneath stuff has a shot of frustrating an offense that's depended almost entirely on those two elements.  

I also think the Patriots defense is garbage; it has played in advantageous circumstances for 99% of the season. They do have a great D-line, though, which presents a HUGE matchup problem for the Steelers and could make their D look a lot better than it really is, as a unit.  
padgfrombf

« Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 16:28 »

Agree, the Pats front and DB's are in good shape, their LB corps is old and can be had, if the front three + Seymour don't get to the QB first.  Philly had the offensive style to do so, the Ravens can't even execute two consecutive plays.

The Steelers will have the same problems underneath with Welker and K. Faulk that Philly did.  But WTH, I'd rather get a practice game in with these drones now than to see them for the first time in the playoffs at the Razor.  That same experience sure helped with Indy in 2005.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: