Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 21:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 9-3  (Read 771 times)
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

9-3
« on: Dec 02, 2007 at 22:47 »

And essentially a three game lead with four games to play.

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

nate07
N00b

9-3
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2007 at 22:57 »

key win tonite...steelers are in good shape to take the division with the cleveland loss
Preacherman0
Old School Member

9-3
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 08:36 »

And essentially a three game lead with four games to play.

Since I value DJF's opinion, I will post my top 10 friggin' worthless observations on the Stillers' win here:

1.  Let's fire Bruce Arians and use the extra money as a signing bonus to extend Ben Roethlisberger.  For playcalling, Big Ben is the pick here.
(Seriously, are you guys noticing how much better we're moving the ball when we go no-huddle and Ben calls the plays?)  Seriously, I can't imagine where this team would be without him.

2.  I am becoming more concerned with Ben's re-emerging tendency to throw horrible picks at horrible times.  It started a few weeks ago with the RZ pick against the Bengals, and continued through last night.  I actually didn't see the second pick, but the first one was just a terrible throw and a terrible decision.  Ben had 15 yards of brown disintegrating grass in front of him, and plenty of soft mud to make the slide.

3.  Speaking of "slide," what the crap was up with FWP and losing the football last night?  I didn't think he was carrying it loosely or doing stupid things with the ball, but my gosh.  4 fumbles in one game???  And I don't care that a couple were overturned, you can't put the ball on the ground that much.  What happens if we get screwed (again) on the challenge?  or if we're out of challenges?  No excuse for not securing the ball against a defense whose whole MO is to strip the ball.

4.  Is there any explicable reason why we kept running the ball to the left when everyone, including the Bengals, knew it was going there?  Are Simmons and Colon even worse than we thought?  If that's even possible...and the poor footing doesn't help a lot when you're drive-blocking straight ahead.

5.  We are badly in need of a true backup RB, worse than I ever imagined.  When Willie was fumbling, we had no one else to put in.  To repeat the obvious, we need someone that can put two hands on the football and run over some people in the slop.

6.  Speaking of slop, I thought the field held up pretty good last night, all things considered.  It's hard to know whether or not to fire the groundskeeper or give him a medal for doing what he does with what little he has.

7.  I think the slow, sloppy field really hurts our pass rush.  Seems hard to get the kind of footing we need to get around the corner.  

8.  That said, what an AWESOME performance for our D last night, particularly in the RZ.  I don't think the Bengals were that out of sync, based on their first drive.  I think we made the adjustments and confused them and threw them off their game.

9.  When you have that kind of night with Tyrone Carter as your starting safety, you're playing some pretty good defense.

10.  Hats off to Hines Ward.  He is still the man!  But can we keep using Ced Wilson (never thought I'd say that) and get Heat back into the mix to give him some help until SanAntonio returns?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

9-3
« Reply #3 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 10:14 »

4.  Madden remarked that Parker's rubber elbow guards get very slippery when wet.  He could've been right.

If I were Tomlin, I would've given Russel/Davis a shot when Parker fumbled for the 3rd time.  At that point in the game, it was more important to hold onto the ball than get 1st downs.  Were the Bengals not so incompetent (and were the refs not so generous), we'd have lost the game on his turnovers alone.

8.  I worry about the total LACK of sacks are defense is getting anymore.  I don't know when the last time was that a D was rated #1, and got so few sacks.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

9-3
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 11:53 »

10.  Hats off to Hines Ward.  He is still the man!  But can we keep using Ced Wilson (never thought I'd say that) and get Heat back into the mix to give him some help until SanAntonio returns?
Don't know if it was my imagination or what, but I had said that I wanted to see more Wilson/Washington instead of Spaeth/Tuman and that's what they seemed to fall back on last night.

Maybe I just missed 'em, but I didn't see as much of the double and especially triple TE sets.  Lotta 3 and 4 wide; pretty sure I saw some 5 wide as well.

Keep that shit up, man.

And, Hines earned his paycheck last night, no doubt.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

9-3
« Reply #5 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 12:28 »

I also finally saw some SLANT PASSES, as I've been complaining about the total lack thereof for some time.

Aside from one that was batted down at the line, they were pretty much all really effective.

.WiH.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
dcity21

9-3
« Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2007 at 12:49 »

4.  Madden remarked that Parker's rubber elbow guards get very slippery when wet.  He could've been right.

If I were Tomlin, I would've given Russel/Davis a shot when Parker fumbled for the 3rd time.  At that point in the game, it was more important to hold onto the ball than get 1st downs.  Were the Bengals not so incompetent (and were the refs not so generous), we'd have lost the game on his turnovers alone.

8.  I worry about the total LACK of sacks are defense is getting anymore.  I don't know when the last time was that a D was rated #1, and got so few sacks.

.WiH.
we barely rushed more than 3 or 4 last night and even when we only rushed a couple they got enough pressure to keep Palmer off balance and pretty well off the mark..

sacks didn't seem to be in the game plan last night.. it seemed much more like a cover 2.. which i'm ok with b/c it shut them down in the first matchup as well..

and everyone on here has said Starks wasn't impressive because Taylor had no footing so therefore could not get a rush.. So, it is entirely unfair to say that our defense should have been piling up the sacks last monday night in those conditions..

i was actually very happy with our pass rush last night because it seemed like we could drop 7 or 8 and still get just enough pressure.

and i agree about the elbow pads.. take them off..

and i don't think we have to worry about paying a backup RB, i just see it as wasted cap space.. there is nothing wrong with giving the ball to Davis or Russell, provided they can hang on to it and i don't see any reason that they shouldn't..  

"i don't know Nutting about baseball.. but i know about Nutting over making some cash.." Ownership ROCKS!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: