Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 20, 2014 at 01:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers' Unsung Hero Thus Far  (Read 1314 times)
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« on: Dec 04, 2007 at 14:06 »

I'm going to have to go with Deshea Townsend of all players.

Only 3 years ago, he was seen as a career backup that may not even be with the team much longer, but since then, he's given us nearly 2 seasons of very solid play at the position, with this year being even better than the last.

Ike Taylor gets most of the hype from the CB role, due to his rebound year after signing the big contract last year, but I think Townsend has been just as solid.

Especially with the overall lack of pass rush our DL/LB have been getting during the last few games, the role of cornerback becomes that much more imporant, and Townsend hasn't missed a beat.

.WiH.

PS  Honorary mention to Tyrone Carter as well.  I think he's filled in amicably during Polamalu's absence.

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 14:14 »

I've always liked Townsend.  Fills the role of "wily vet" extremely well.  I'd venture to guess that he's the best bang for the buck at CB in the league.

Really, you could almost give the award to the entire defense.  Save for that big MNF monster game by Harrison, they've all been kinda understated and solid.

The true test comes this week though.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 14:28 »

Was it Townsend that picked Brady and returned it for a TD a few years back at Heinz?

We need at least one of those on Sunday.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 15:18 »

It was Townsend who turned down an offer from the Patriots to return to Pittsburgh at some ungodly reasonable deal.  

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
JerseySteeler

« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 15:57 »

It was Townsend who turned down an offer from the Patriots to return to Pittsburgh at some ungodly reasonable deal.
I knew I liked that guy for a reason.
padgfrombf

« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 20:34 »

I knew I liked that guy for a reason.
The PS have been fortunate to have a couple of disciplined CB vets such as Willie Williams and Deshea.  Townsend does get occasionally abused by a big WR, but in tag-team with McFadden, the PSD has gotten solid play out of the DB's.  It would be interesting to see what the Pats would have done with DT, they already have good corners; their weakness is more at safety.

Ike does what they always wanted Chad Scott to achieve, the ability to control (not necessarily blanket) the stud WR's underneath and keep them from making plays over the top.  This week may be different, but the PSD must be close to the league low in PI's.
nate07
N00b

« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 20:39 »

Ike does what they always wanted Chad Scott to achieve, the ability to control (not necessarily blanket) the stud WR's underneath and keep them from making plays over the top.  This week may be different, but the PSD must be close to the league low in PI's.
I also noticed that our D-backs aren't having many PI this year compared to pass years. I think Tomlin experience as a D-back coach and D-coordinator has had a big impack on our secondary. I believe he's the main reason why our passing D and total D is ranked #1 overall. Whatever he's doing different is working, and hopefiully it continues against the pats.
« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2007 at 20:42 by nate07 » Logged
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:08 »

I'm going to have to go with Deshea Townsend of all players.

Only 3 years ago, he was seen as a career backup that may not even be with the team much longer, but since then, he's given us nearly 2 seasons of very solid play at the position, with this year being even better than the last.

Ike Taylor gets most of the hype from the CB role, due to his rebound year after signing the big contract last year, but I think Townsend has been just as solid.

Especially with the overall lack of pass rush our DL/LB have been getting during the last few games, the role of cornerback becomes that much more imporant, and Townsend hasn't missed a beat.

.WiH.

PS  Honorary mention to Tyrone Carter as well.  I think he's filled in amicably during Polamalu's absence.

I'm late to this party but great point about Townsend and Carter.  
padgfrombf

« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:32 »

Townsend and Carter are probably the best candidates for unsung hero.  Among the deeper reserves, Nick Eason kept the D-side house in reasonable order when Aaron Smith was nicked up.  Like Stapleton being on the roster instead of draft pick Cam Stephenson, Eason outworked his competition to stay with the team this year and contribute.
pensteel
N00b

« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 09:43 »

I believe Mike Tomlin spoke earlier in the year about the guys on the team who he could say were just "football guys" who have amazing football mental ability.

Deshea was the first guy he cited as having this knowledge.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 10:54 »

U R ALL IDOTS LISSEN THIS IS THE >>>>>>>MFL<<<<<<<< NOONE PLAYS UNSUNG DISHAE TOMSEND IS SINGED 4 LIKE 4 YEARS OR SUMTHNG

GET A CLU THANK U SOOOO O MUCH NEXT

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: