Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 19, 2014 at 23:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JAX far more important than NE...  (Read 1856 times)
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:07 »

It's possible that SD could run the table and finish 11-5. I think that would give them one loss in their division and a
Winters in Holland
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 12:20 »

As for competing with SD, I don't see a difference between being the #4 or the #3 seed.
Thanks for catching my miss, everyone.  Jax can't get the #3 unless they passed Indy.

Here's what I think the big- no, HUGE- difference is between the #3 seed and the #4:

Probable teams faced before AFCC as #3 seed:
Cleveland
Indianapolis

Probable teams faced before AFCC as #4 seed:
Jacksonville
New England

The difficulty difference between those two roads is gigantic, IMO.

.WiH.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 12:21 by Winters in Holland » Logged

I don't care if Lovie Smith and Tony Dungy are black. Good for them. But that doesn't change the way I feel about them. The longer we keep looking at guys like Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith as "BLACK HEAD COACHES" as opposed to just "coaches" the longer race will continue to be a problem. --DoctorJohnnyFever
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #12 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 12:42 »

As for competing with SD, I don't see a difference between being the #4 or the #3 seed.
Thanks for catching my miss, everyone.  Jax can't get the #3 unless they passed Indy.

Here's what I think the big- no, HUGE- difference is between the #3 seed and the #4:

Probable teams faced before AFCC as #3 seed:
Cleveland
Indianapolis

Probable teams faced before AFCC as #4 seed:
Jacksonville
New England

The difficulty difference between those two roads is gigantic, IMO.

.WiH.
Just to clarify, because I don't really disagree --

I  see what you're getting at, but a 'huge' difference? Eh.

What's the difference between these schedules:

A) Cleveland, Indy, NE

B) Jacksonville, NE, Indy

I agree that A offers a better shot at getting to the AFCC, but I don't particularly care, this year, about the difference between losing the AFCC or losing in an earlier round. And since getting to the Super Bowl will require beating NE, I don't think it matters what round we face them in.

I do agree with your implication that we match up better against Cleveland than against Jacksonville. But again, I think if this team can't beat the Jaguars, we wouldn't have beaten New England anyway. (Exception being if we kill the Pats this Sunday and then lose our wildcard game because the jags ran several flukey fumbles back for TDs or something!)

steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 14:04 »

It's possible that SD could run the table and finish 11-5. I think that would give them one loss in their division and a  9-3 conference record.

Is the first tie breaker for division ties, better win % in your division?
First tiebreaker is head to head, then it goes to conference record. So if Pitt and SD both finish 11-5, whoever hs the better conference record wil be the #3 seed. Jax is not going to win the South. They lost twice to Indy so they would have to beat them by a game. Not happening.

#3 seed means home against probably Cle, then away to Indy. #4 seed meams home against Jax and then away to NE. Not much difference there, but I would rather play Cle, Indy, then NE in the AFCC.
JackSplat
Jerk Store Proprietor
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 14:26 »

And since getting to the Super Bowl will require beating NE, I don't think it matters what round we face them in.

i think there is a BIG difference between playing the pats in the AFCC opposed to the 2nd round.  its called momentum...

if we were #4 seed and had to play JAX then NE, thats 2 tough as fuck games that would wear down this team cosiderably.

go in as a #3 start off with Clev then Indy, two soft defensive teams that will not kick the ever living crap out of our offense...that right there would build some very nice momentum for a well rested NE team that most likley will  have blown out its first round team.

Jerry, it's Frank Costanza, Mr.
Steinbrenner is here, George is dead, call me back!
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 15:05 »

What's important is that we win some combination of any 2 of our last 4 games to lock up the division and a home playoff game in R1.  Realistically, that's about the best we can do and it would be a major accomplishment for a team with an offensive line like ours.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 17:56 »

WTF? All the games are important.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
DCSteelers
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 19:26 »

Lets hope SD doesnt run the table...

If so..

We'd need to go 3-1.   Just eyeballing it, I think SD would have the tie breakers. Denver loss would be huge for head-to-head, and they'd have one less conference loss.

I concur with the prospect of playing Cleveland, Jax, Tenn first, Go to Indy, then New England would be the best case possible (3rd seat)

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 08:19 »

possible (3rd seat)
DC - Do you have French Benefits?  Just kidding.

Steelers might end up with the 3rd seed.  Or seeded 3rd.

I don't think they will play sitting down though.    :poke:  

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 09:42 »

WTF? All the games are important.
Thank you.  Was just thinking of posting the same thing.

Post-season seeding and shit is fun to contemplate, but I want wins.  I want to see us play well now, and better in January.  I want this team to come together like it did in 2005.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: