Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 22, 2014 at 11:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers Bring in Vernon Hayes For Workout  (Read 1907 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 18:47 »

Word is Najeh was injured in some type of bar room ordeal.

I think I read that somewhere in Ted Boucher's chat session.

Must have had the shit beat out of him.

Again.
padgfrombf

« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 20:44 »

I assumed "Vernon Hayes" was tongue in cheek, except that there are about a 100 of the same typos in a web search as well.

If his knee was OK, he's a decent replacement Dookie.
nate07
N00b

« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 20:50 »

I didn't think he was picked up by anyone else, which is really odd IMO.

He's a great 3rd down back, with great blocking ability.  Also liked him late in games to run things out.
Not to change the subject, but remember a few years back when we had Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala (aka Fu) as our 3rd down back. He used to be a decent 3rd down back. I think he signed with the Jags after leaving the steelers, but i wonder if he's still in the league??  
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 20:54 »

Not to change the subject, but remember a few years back when we had Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala (aka Fu) as our 3rd down back. He used to be a decent 3rd down back. I think he signed with the Jags after leaving the steelers, but i wonder if he's still in the league??

He did sign with the Jags.  He was good as you said in those situations, but he was way too injury-prone to be counted on with any consistency.  I believe he has been out of the league for several years.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2007 at 21:27 »

I didn't think he was picked up by anyone else, which is really odd IMO.

He's a great 3rd down back, with great blocking ability.  Also liked him late in games to run things out.
*snicker*

There's this one chick who wears a Fu jersey every week to the bar.  

A shabby Charlie Brown.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 00:42 »

Haynes would be a pretty good signing at this point. Decent 3rd down back with experience. Russell should have his shot at carrying the rock with no Dookie, otherwise whats the point of having him?
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 06:35 »

(Fu) did sign with the Jags. He was good as you said in those situations, but he was way too injury-prone to be counted on with any consistency. I believe he has been out of the league for several years.

Exactly. Couldn't be counted on since he was always hurt. Spent his last days as a Jaguar FB but that was a few years back.

The offseason before the Patriots first championship I am fairly certain they signed Fu to a decent offer sheet, to be their star back, only to have the Steelers match it. Then they fell back on Antowain Smith after somebody else cut him loose.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 11:25 »

If they do bring Haynes back, some pluses that he brings to the table are that he's pretty good at pickin' up the blitz and he's also decent at catching the rock outta the backfield.

Well, at least he was...

Now?

*shrugs*

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
padgfrombf

« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 11:31 »

Good point, AJ, Haynes and Duce Staley were the only RB's that could be said to be good pass-pro blockers.  As third down back, Haynes actually got to prove it.

But yeah, it's his knee that's going to get him signed or retired.

Guess Najeh healed up, so this whole deal is moot.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2007 at 23:40 by padgfrombf » Logged
sysadmin7

« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2007 at 23:01 »

I say give a shot to G. Russell...sure, he didn't play last year at Minnesota but he was L. Maroney's counter the year before. Size/Speed, we could have stolen another good RB out of the UDFA pool.

If we wouldn't have released J. Kuhn (so he could go start at GB) we wouldn't be in this situation...either.  

LINUX = FREEDOM
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: