Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 21:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anthony Smith guarantees win?  (Read 5015 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Dec 05, 2007 at 15:25 »

on Bendel and Benz?

Can anyone in the Pittsburgh area confirm?

As tight lipped and straight laced as Tomlin has this bunch, I'd be very surprised if somebody broke rank.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 15:43 »

Great, something else to piss of the team that really has no one to blame but their coach for being pissed off.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 15:56 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07339/839489-66.stm

You know, I think this is actually good. The Patriots will be motivated? So what. They still have to block, to tackle, to make plays while being hammered. They don't win on paper.

Prove us wrong. Send Randy across the middle a dozen times, and let's find out what happens.  
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 16:17 »

Isn't this really a Karma thing most of the time?

So this means Smith misses 1/2 dozen tackles gives up 3 TD's and gets knocked on his @ss by Moss.

Oh well.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 16:33 »

Shit, the only thing he didn't do was insult their defense.  Wonder if Smith's cellphone is getting hot?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 17:16 »

Hotter than a Vlad Putin Super Bowl ring.

Keep your mouth shut, kid. Or just go out and back it up big on Sunday.

He didn't really sound too confident. Actually he could barely remember what day the game was on.

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
BradyisGOD
N00b

« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 18:27 »

Un-f'n'-believable.

Who this guy think he is, Peazy? He ain't done nuthin' yet, he shouldn't be guaranteeing a win. He wouldn't even be STARTING if Ryan Clark wasn't injured.

I like this guy's potential, but it is clear that he needs an attitude adjustment. Takes too many dumb penalties (taunting, etc). Now this.

Never should have said this. Huge chance of backfiring.  

....Every day is heaven -- when you are basking in God's glory.....
BradyisGOD
N00b

« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 19:39 »

Oops. I think I just outed myself...snicker.

LambertsFrontTeeth. :D  :D  :D  

....Every day is heaven -- when you are basking in God's glory.....
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 19:43 »

Oh well, there it is...so he'll either back it up or learn the hard way to keep his mouth shut.

I'm sure this will be the hot topic all over ESPN for the next few days.  Actually, it kind of makes the game a bit more interesting.  I've stated already that I don't think it will have much impact on us for the playoffs, but this adds a little pepper to it for our side.

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 19:44 »

...and to think, I was getting you all thoroughly lathered up over in the smack-talk forum!

Admins, thanks for not deleting my joke profile immediately. I was going to smack talk for the next week, then troll in the regular threads (making more and more absurd claims about the Cheatriots) until my profile was deleted, in which time I was going to reveal my joke.

Oh well.  

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 19:49 »

Admins, thanks for not deleting my joke profile immediately. I was going to smack talk for the next week, then troll in the regular threads (making more and more absurd claims about the Cheatriots) until my profile was deleted, in which time I was going to reveal my joke.

You know what would be really funny?

Banning LambertsFrontTeeth AND BradyisGOD!
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 19:49 »

Nice one!  I wouldn't have known unless you had posted the above quoted material.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 19:51 »

Where did you get the screen name lambert?

I "googled" it and there is a Pats fan with the screen name "BradyIsGod."

Funny stuff, though I am a bit disappointed it wasn't a "legit" troll.  

You played the role well!

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 21:02 »

At least Smith was right about the Bengals receivers being better.  He must've forgot about the difference in talent at the QB and O-line positions though.

Y2Joyce
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 23:08 »

Pardon me, but I'll need an explanation how these hos get off and all the young kids are dying? Change the rule.

Just joking....what I mean is basically fuck anyone that has rooted for NE over the past few years. They continue to sample Pacs voice but he'd never be with half of the state's policy.

The Patriots suck. Steelers fans own yall.

Man up.. Ben's gonna beat Brady senseless on physical ability.
« Last Edit: Dec 05, 2007 at 23:12 by Y2Joyce » Logged

Steelers 58-15 when I am in attendance.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 23:19 »

Nice to see BeardyisGod (if there ever was a more compelling argument against atheism, I'd like to hear it) checks in here for all his latest news.

Smith needs to stfu.  But, whatever.  We'll need to hit and wrap and finish our blocks to win, with or without a guarantee.  It's just another football game.

And you and me will still have to work the next monday.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 23:28 »

Well now, thats quite a thing for Smith to say. Don't really like it myself. Now the Pats will have an even bigger chip on their shoulder. And how does he know the Bengals WR's are better than the Pats WR's? He hasn't played against the Pats yet. Oh man, I'm listening to Sportscenter right now, and I hear "Steelers guarantee win at Pats"....Great....He better hope he is Lee Flowers and blocks the game winning FG, and makes a pick, and a sack, and returns a fumble he caused for a TD.....This can't be good...
padgfrombf

« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2007 at 23:54 »

OMG, that's almost as bad as the Lee Flowers comment about TB as paper champions.  Flowers got a break when Shawn King started as QB and stunk out the building shortly thereafter.

Problem for Smith looking to hit something in blue is that the Pats won't, or don't, try to beat you with Stallworth or Moss running a lot of slants over the middle.  Welker and Watson do that, and they seem to be able to take and give punishment.  I'll be curious to see what LeBeau has up his sleeve.
Jason15215
N00b

« Reply #18 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 00:43 »

Yeah I heard it too. He guaranteed it kinda wimpy though. "We have nothing to lose" How do they have nothing to lose??
padgfrombf

« Reply #19 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 00:53 »

I would have rather heard Smith with this stuff if it were the playoffs.  The Steelers locker room seems almost too businesslike at times, especially for a team that hasn't played well on the road.  I guess it's the timing of the of the comments rather than its content.  Even is the Steelers pull off the win, they'll still not get home field from NE, though it would be nice to slide past Indy.  Beating the Pats does not necessarily make a huge statement; nor did it in 2004.

There's a difference between the Baltimore game and this one.  Sunday night past was the Raven's Super Bowl.  It isn't the case for the Steelers this weekend.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 03:27 »

Sunday night past was the Raven's Super Bowl.  It isn't the case for the Steelers this weekend.
But it would go a loooong way for building confidence.  They have yet to win a road game.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
vinman3
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Master of the Obvious

« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 06:19 »

Bravo my friend. Bravo.

:laugh:  :applause:  :applause:  :applause:  :laugh:  

It's a hot night. The mind races. You think about your knife; the only friend who hasn't betrayed you, the only friend who won't be dead by sun up. Sleep tight, mates, in your quilted Chambray nightshirts.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 07:47 »

I don't think that ASmith is the sharpest tool in the shed, to be honest with you.  He and Ike Taylor sound like HS kids when they get interviewed, and Smith seems to be about that maturity level.  He's going to be a great player IMO, but there's no need for the pushing, borderline late hits, mouthing, etc. that he seems to do.

My question is simply this:  Why?  Why say anything at all?  I doubt that it really has any impact on the game, but if it does, it's most likely a bad one for the Steelers.  So why say anything at all?

Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #23 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 08:27 »

You know, I agree he probably shouldn't have said anything.

But I'm just as sick of the whole "ooh, don't say something that might piss off the Patriots. Please oh please don't anger them or they'll try extra hard!"

If they win, it'll be because they're the better team that day. Not because of anything Smith said.  
Cogitobsw

« Reply #24 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 08:35 »

You know, I agree he probably shouldn't have said anything.

But I'm just as sick of the whole "ooh, don't say something that might piss off the Patriots. Please oh please don't anger them or they'll try extra hard!"

If they win, it'll be because they're the better team that day. Not because of anything Smith said.
I agree . . . I posted over on MGP how I actually like it . . . I think it helps show the Steelers aren't approaching the game scared . . . that's no way to win a football game . . . they've gotta go in with a chip on their shoulders, and fuck what New England thinks.  Sure, AS might look like an ASs on Sunday night, but there's no reason to tip toe around the Pats.  Yeah they're a damn good team, but if you go into the game afraid, you've already lost.

Cogito Ergo Sum
DoctorJohnnyFever
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:08 »

Yeah, i'm not saying I like what Smith said, but do you guys really think this is going to impact the game in any way? The Patriots were going to be up for this game regardless because this is the game everyone has had circled for weeks as maybe their first, and perhaps only, loss of the regular season.

Should he have gone public with it? Maybe not, but some of you guys are cowering in the corner like little girls because the Patriots might be upset.

Fuck the Patriots.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:09 by DoctorJohnnyFever » Logged

"The MGS board is regarded here as a board with adult rated content. There are virtually no rules. There are no words that are inappropriate and no subject that cannot be discussed. Should you feel the need to get crazy, do it there. You will be welcomed with open arms."

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:40 »

I don't care what Smith says, as long as he backs it up on the field.  If he and (presumably Ike) can take out Moss, that'll be impressive.  And by "take out," I mean shut down the way we shut down Ocho Goldgrill, and maybe lay a few hits on him that will make him forget what year it is.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #27 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:49 »

I don't care what Smith says, as long as he backs it up on the field.  If he and (presumably Ike) can take out Moss, that'll be impressive.  And by "take out," I mean shut down the way we shut down Ocho Goldgrill, and maybe lay a few hits on him that will make him forget what year it is.
You know, I'll be shocked if we don't shut down Moss. I expect him to have a 3-catch, 40-yard type of day.

Over the last few years, LeBeau's defenses have been reliable at shutting down the opponents' elite receiver -- think Terrell Owens in the Philly game in '04, Chad Johnson in EVERY Bengal game. Braylon and Winslow this year, twice.

It's the other guys who always kill us though. I expect a huge game from Welker, Watson, and/or Faulk (who's extremely underrated in my view).
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2007 at 10:49 by Hercules50. » Logged
vcuram
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #28 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:04 »

Like DJF said, it won't have any effect on the game.  

If we win, Smith is praised.  If we lose, he looks like an idiot.  Either way, it's forgotten by next week.

I also don't buy the "bulletin board material" argument.  The Patriots are going to be prepared no matter what is said.  If a professional football player needs added incentive to play hard, then there's something wrong with them and/or their coaches.

I've thrown a kettle over a pub before.  What the fuck have you ever done?
mrblack66

« Reply #29 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:14 »

bothered me at first because those statements always come from the underdog and seem like a desperate attempt to F with the other team. but when you  think about it, they're just words really. will they make Bruschi play any better? Is it possible? I mean he is like the best ever. Do you know he came back from a stroke? In fact I thought he had another one Monday night looking at how they stopped the run.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
oblongatta
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:43 »

eh.  I don't care.  Bulletin board material is overrated.

And really, is this going to get Randy Moss all fired up?  The chronic and fired up are usually mutually exclusive.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 11:50 »

I'm looking for a big play early.

And by that, I mean Mrs. Wes Welker stabbing her hubby in the thigh Saturday night.

leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 21:21 »

I'm looking for a big play early.

And by that, I mean Mrs. Wes Welker stabbing her hubby in the thigh Saturday night.
I love a good stabbin'.....

I'm still the one with the boobs.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #33 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 21:31 »

eh.  I don't care.  Bulletin board material is overrated.

And really, is this going to get Randy Moss all fired up?  The chronic and fired up are usually mutually exclusive.
Maybe we should all chip in and send him a laced doobie.  Then he shows up in one of those rainbow afros and pigs out on the pregame buffet.  It could work.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #34 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 21:32 »

Just waiting for the otis reply to this one.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 21:36 »

I prepare the area/s properly. And when it's time, things be slidin', not stabbin'.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #36 on: Dec 06, 2007 at 22:03 »

I prepare the area/s properly. And when it's time, things be slidin', not stabbin'.
Man, wish I could come up with that.   I mean the quote.  Really.   Not the gay thing.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
leighclay
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2007 at 02:41 »

Which is one of the reasons I make the comments I make....

oo)  

I'm still the one with the boobs.
mrblack66

« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 11:17 »

Did Smith make a guarantee on a game or did he shoot and kill someone?? The way Jim Nantz went on about it you would think he did. Stinging comments all game long.

I will say the Steelers looked alot like the Ravens with their trash talking bullshit, but IMO,  that comment had nothing to do with the outcome. Anthony Smith biting on play action and being out of position on a few big plays went alot further towards the beating we took. That along with not being able to score a touchdown on two possessions within the 20. Oh and that Brady is un -fucking -believable. Sweet lord I hate him.

I'm not cryin'. It's just been raining... on my face.
Hercules50.
No longer a N00b!

« Reply #39 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 11:25 »

Did Smith make a guarantee on a game or did he shoot and kill someone?? The way Jim Nantz went on about it you would think he did. Stinging comments all game long.

So true.

Smith was a victim of the terrible, uninformed, and unethical sports "journalism" we live with these days.

You can tell reporters are lazy and stupid by the questions they ask at all the ridiculous press conferences the NFL forces coaches to hold these days. Compare sports writers to reporters who cover anything else and you'll see that other reporters actually know something about the subjects they cover, and can ask intelligent questions, whereas 99% of sports reporters appear to know less about football than the typical fan.

Hence there are so few -- if any at all -- questions asked of a technical sort. Instead, questions are all about "stories" and "narratives" of the "how did you feel when.." variety.

Bullshit.

So anyway, my point is, that the week leading up to a game like this, professional athletes (who didn't get where they are by learning the nuances of P.R. communications) have to answer a zillion stupid questions.

I'm sure -- I am completely sure -- that some reporter asked Smith if he thought the Steelers could win and it was the 300th time he was asked this. And that's where it started. In fact, if you read the whole quote in context, Smith says something totall bland and boring like "if our offense, defense, and special teams play well I guarantee a win" or something.

Well, duh.

And yes, I'm rooting for ill things to happen to Brady in a game. Call me petty but I'd like to see THEM experience some of the injury problems at QB we've had and see how good they look.
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2007 at 11:27 by Hercules50. » Logged
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 12:19 »

I don't understand how Beardy is allowed to sprint downfield, get in the grille of Smith and clearly taunt him after the first touchdown and not draw a flag.  Smith, on the other hand, gets up after tackling Jamal Lewis, steps over him, and is penalized.  

Totally inconsistent officiating from week to week.  We were beaten by the better team yesterday, however.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Dec 10, 2007 at 12:53 »

I don't understand how Beardy is allowed to sprint downfield, get in the grille of Smith and clearly taunt him after the first touchdown and not draw a flag.  Smith, on the other hand, gets up after tackling Jamal Lewis, steps over him, and is penalized.  

Totally inconsistent officiating from week to week.  We were beaten by the better team yesterday, however.
Good point and one that I totally missed.

However, I will say that I thought the referees were pretty consistent yesterday.  They could've easily thrown the laundry on Smith for that late shot in the EZ on Stallworth (??) after the ball was long since gone or that Townsend shove on Welker after he had already stepped OOB on the sidelines.  To me, I thought they were letting them play and rightly so.  Maybe it was a result of all the talk of the quick whistles during the Baltimore game the week prior.

Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: